PDA

View Full Version : Best process to spray a lot of cabinet parts?

marty shultz
05-20-2018, 11:50 AM
What process do you like when you have to spray front and back sides of cabinets, drawer fronts and doors? I'm using a tinted pre cat lacquer and the dry time is roughly 40 minutes. I'll be spraying outside.

I have a lazy susan I can use but that only does one side at a time.

Hanging the parts seems smart but not sure how to hang them. Would I get a "hangar shadow"?

Ideas?

thanks,

Kevin Jenness
05-20-2018, 1:54 PM
Here's one method: set up sawhorses spanned by 2x planks, lay out your flat pieces on triangular section stickers set on the planks face down. Be aware of the prevailing breeze to avoid overspray settling on your parts. Spray your way through the set making sure to hit the edges at a 45 degree angle. When dry enough to handle turn them over and do the other side.

I don't recommend spraying outdoors due to lack of control over dust, insects, wind, sun, etc., but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

John TenEyck
05-20-2018, 3:43 PM
Spraying vertically is tempting, but it's so much harder to do well that I only do it when I have no choice. For doors, drawer fronts, etc., I always spray them flat, one at a time. I generally do the edges and backs first, let them dry, then flip them over and do the edges again and front side. Scuff sand between coats, repeat.

If I had to spray outside I would build/buy a screened tent with a fan to move filtered air through it to take away the overspray.

John

marty shultz
05-20-2018, 4:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the great ideas.

I'll go with the horizontal method to reduce the sag/run issues with hanging the panels. I need about 70 sq ft for all the parts so I think I'll be spraying in one are then moving the panels to another area to dry. Not many bugs in AZ but we do have dust.

John TenEyck
05-20-2018, 10:13 PM
You might consider building a rack to put the wet panels on to dry. Saves a lot of space. You'll find lots of designs with a Google search.

John

Wayne Lomman
05-21-2018, 5:57 AM
Kevin and John have it covered. I work outside whenever weather permits just because I love working outside. It's one of the things I miss most from painting bridges. Cheers

Steve Jenkins
05-21-2018, 6:26 PM
You might consider building a rack to put the wet panels on to dry. Saves a lot of space. You'll find lots of designs with a Google search.

John
That’s what I do. I made a couple racks that hold 35 doors or drawer fronts each and also bought a used bakers rack

Rob Young
05-22-2018, 9:31 AM
I've been spraying outside and I make a similar long rack as described above. But on top of the 2x4s I use carpet tack strips to make long nail boards. Now my parts are up off the 2x4s and after things are touch dry I can flip them without fear of marking them.