PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged wood turned box ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-28-2003, 5:03 PM
I was at one of the local lumber yards getting some 2x4's for my FIL, when I spotted a cedar 4x4 which had been broken and splintered while unloading. It was tossed in a corner and has trash piled on top of it. I approached the young man running the register and asked what they intended to do with it. He told me they usually throw it out, since it wasn't any good. I asked if he minded if I took it. He gave it to me without batting an eye. I brought it home, trimmed the split ends off, stuck it on the Jet Mini and rounded it out. I made a lidded box out of it and it came out great, especially since it was free wood! I have enough out of this post to make six boxes (6ft, broken in two pieces)! It turns well, but you have to keep your tools sharp. It splinters easily. I had to sand a little more, to get small tear out places leveled out. While I was at it, I made a box (on the left) out of the last small piece of Mahogany I had. Both have a Danish Oil finish. Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun.

Jim Becker
06-28-2003, 8:11 PM
I was at one of the local lumber yards getting some 2x4's for my FIL, when I spotted a cedar 4x4 which had been broken and splintered while unloading. It was tossed in a corner and has trash piled on top of it. I approached the young man running the register and asked what they intended to do with it. He told me they usually throw it out, since it wasn't any good. I asked if he minded if I took it. He gave it to me without batting an eye.

You are a TRUE turner! The best material is free material and this was an outstanding find. Nice boxes, too...and things that folks appreciate.