PDA

View Full Version : Bob Lasley, this one's for you!

David Rose
02-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Hey Bob!

Remember suggesting that I pin the centers of my dovetailed support pieces under my bench seat? I have another question about that.

Not wanting the dovetail to show on the edge of the seat, sure the back is hidden but hey! this is craftsmanship, I decided to make a "hidden" dovetail. Simple enough. Layout my dovetail on the bottom of the seat, drill one end with a forstner just larger than the dovetail bit for a place to start, mill the dovetail with a straight bit (you thought I was going to forget that), then mill the dovetail! Great! No ends show!

I just made the female dovetail two cutter widths so it was easy to cut the support piece and cut the male dovetail on it.

Now how do I get the male dovetailed piece into the female dovetail hidden on the bottom of my bench seat?

:D

David, who also has oval shank screws for when the guy drills the hole just a little off center and I have to shift it just a hair...

Bob Lasley
02-19-2003, 12:14 AM
some things a guy just needs to figure out on his own! :D

Actually, I can think of one way to do it. Make the male dovetail out of three pieces, two angled for the sides, one straight for the middle. Put in the sides, then glue in the middle. Only trick is to not get glue on the bottom. Mmmmm, shellac the bottom of the groove??

Maybe use some purty wood that would look good showing in a dovetail on the edge of the seat?

Good luck whichever way you go,
Bob

David Rose
02-19-2003, 12:26 AM
I have never been acused of under gluing anything in my life! How long would it take and how much vaccum to shrink a 1" piece of maple about 1/4"? :p

Naw! The edge of the seat is hidden most of the time. I'll just "sorta" match the grain.

Why do silly thoughts like the "blind dovetail" cross your mind? I guess my "real" day went about that way. :( Was good to get to play in the wood for a while.

David

Bob Lasley
02-19-2003, 12:35 AM
I guess what you really need is a half-blind dovetail or blind on one side and peeking out the other! ;)

I'm not going any farther with this,
Bob