PDA

View Full Version : Floor Hatch Gas Struts/Spring Information And Source Needed

douglas ferrman
05-19-2018, 4:05 PM
Hi

I am about to build and install a floor hatch, 2-6 wide and 7-3 long and estimate weight will be 110 lbs.

I'd planning on using gas struts like on a van rear hatch.

I've done some online searching but have not been able to find a supplier that is focused on non automotive use and more importantly provides information on length required, mounting options and considerations, strength etc.

Hope someone on the site has been down this road before and has some good suggestions for sourcing and information.

Thanks

Peter Christensen
05-19-2018, 4:22 PM
Hardware for folding/Murphy beds would be ideal. Lee Valley sell a few kinds.

Lee Schierer
05-19-2018, 5:16 PM
Try McMaster-Carr. (https://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=1cwwla6) The sell a variety of gas springs

Frank Pratt
05-19-2018, 9:27 PM
I needed to price gas struts for a project & just Googled it. Can't remember names, but there were a couple of good online stores that had probably thousands of struts of all lengths & load ratings. One site even makes custom struts for what ever you want.

John C Bush
05-19-2018, 9:31 PM
Check marine applications. I've seen heavy duty struts on hatches and lockers on big boats- a bit larger than my canoe.

Bill Dufour
05-20-2018, 12:58 AM
They make struts that can have the pressure bleed off after install to reduce the pressure down to what you want. I think some can also be upped but they run about 200PSi so I do not know what or how the pressure is added.

andy bessette
05-20-2018, 1:07 PM
Check marine applications...

I have purchased several different sizes at West Marine.