PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig Routers

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2005, 11:58 AM
I didn't want to steal John's thunder in his post for best router for a Leigh DT jig. I did catch some comments on size of router for using in dovetail jigs. I am thinking about getting the PC 4212 DT jig. I was going to get a fixed based 2 1/4 hp router or bigger to use only for dovetailing. I just picked up at a garage sale a Skil 1 1/2 hp and a Ryobi 1 3/4 hp along with some other tools that I was going to put up for auction. Both are in decent shape and was told they were not used but once or twice. I also have a Craftsman 2 hp on my table and a 3 1/2 hp plunge that I was going to try on the jig.

Should I keep these routers for use on the dovetail jig and just leave them setup for dovetailing. I didn't think they would have enough hp but Jim Beckers comment and comments from a couple of others that it doesn't take a horse to cut dovetails. This will be my first time cutting dovetails. Any comments would be appreciated.

Lee Schierer
11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I have a Freud FT 2000 router and I tried it on my dovetail jig. I found that the weight of the router plus the height resulted in deflection in certain parts of the dovetail jig which resulted in poor fitting dovetails. I also found I had a tendancy to tip the router when I went out around the ends of the fingers because it was so tall. I got much better results with a smaller fixed base Craftsman router because it wasn't so top heavy. In my book, dovetails don't take a lot of horsepower to get the job done.

Ron Fritz
11-18-2005, 2:11 PM
I have a couple of questions concerning the PC 4212 as well.

Can anyone who has a PC 4212 comment on how they like it? I'm close to purchasing one myself and would like to hear personal opinions. I like the features and price of this DJ. Also, my plan is to buy either a PC-690LR or PC-690LRVS, both fixed base, to use just with the DJ. I'm assuming that I can't go too wrong with either of these routers...right?
thanks, Ron

Scott Donley
11-18-2005, 5:20 PM
Hello,
Bernie, I just got the 4212 and used it last night for the first time. Keep in mind the 4212 needs a 1/2 inch collet, so if the two you mention have that, they should be fine. As far as having one for pins and one for tails, depends, for production work, sure, but otherwise really not needed. The 4212 has a good setup for adjusting the bit, if I can use it, anyone can :)
Ron, the Pc 690 is what I have, 1 3/4 hp and it was more than enough. I was using 3/4 pine just to try it out. Made some good through DT on my first attempt so it already is a winner in my book. Advice, read the instructions, have them there when you use it, you might even download the manual before you get it and go over it a few times before so your not trying to figure it all out from the start. For my money, it was a good buy, Amazon for 136$ It's not an Akeda, but it's not $400+ . Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2005, 5:36 PM
Thanks Scott and Lee. So the bits for the PC 4212 are 1/2". I didn't realize that. Scott I am glad you mentioned that because I don't think either of them are 1/2". I will have to check them. If not I might keep one and sell the other. The neighbor said he needed one. .

Cecil Arnold
11-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Bernie, Scott said a 1/2" collett, not bit (which won't work with a collett the same size). I've used a PC 310 lam trim. to cut 3/4" through DTs on my D4, so almost any size router will work.

Scott Donley
11-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Bernie, Scott said a 1/2" collett, not bit (which won't work with a collett the same size). I've used a PC 310 lam trim. to cut 3/4" through DTs on my D4, so almost any size router will work. The 4212 comes with a 1/2 inch dovetail bit (shank) straight 1/2 inch (shank) bit. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5279
I don't think the PC 310 will work with this jig as shipped or any other router with a max 1/4 collett. The HP is not the issue, collett size (shank size) would be the problem. I am confused:) Why would you say a 1/2 inch shank bit would not work using a 1/2 collett ?

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2005, 2:43 PM
Scott you are right. I went back and reread the manual and it does say you need a router with a 1/2" collet because the bits that come with it are indeed 1/2" shanks. The two routers I bought at the garage sale are both 1/4" collets. Thanks again.

Bill Fellmy
11-19-2005, 3:17 PM
One of the questions that I had before purchasing the PC4212 was if the jig could be used on boards longer than 12". The attached picture is my first attempt at using the jig to make a 20" joint. I was so pleased that I declared myself ready to start on my wife's cherry blanket chest which is why I bought the jig in the first place.

The chalk markings helped me figure out which face was the outside of the board, which corner was the upper left hand corner while using the jig, etc. Knowing that info is important if you are trying to match up the grain.

Overall, I am satisfied with the PC4212. For my hobbyist needs, it represents a good value.

Bill Fellmy
11-19-2005, 3:24 PM
Oops, I grabbed the wrong picture. Will post the 20"er later.

Bill

Bill Fellmy
11-19-2005, 9:15 PM
This picture shows a 20" dovetail joint made with the PC4212. You can see the through dovetail template mounted on a 2" block in the foreground. (You may have to rotate left for better viewing...sorry.)

Bill Fellmy

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the picture Bill. The first time I looked at the 4212 and I wanted to buy it real bad. Then I read a lot of post about how nobody but PC sold the bits for this jig. Since then I believe there are a couple out there that also sell the bits. Not sure who but hope someone will chime in with that info.

Scott Donley
11-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Bernie, Whiteside sells them, you can get them through Woodcraft, check the link in my earlier post,

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks all this has helped a lot. You don't need a horse to route but need a 1/2" collet. So maybe I can make a little off the ones I bought at a garage sale to get a 1/2" unit.

Bill Fellmy
11-20-2005, 8:20 AM
You can add Big Leroy's Tool Shack to the list of sources for dovetail bits for the PC4212. http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Leroys-Tool-Shack_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQdptZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZk m I ordered one and it arrived in 2 or 3 days.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks Bill I appreciate it.