PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant surprise.

Rick Potter
05-17-2018, 3:12 AM
We have been planning to add on to the family compound, in reality, an already over built residential neighborhood tract house.

We are planning to add on to both sides of a 1 1/2 car garage/car shop in the back yard. One side will get a 2 car garage, and the other a two room living room/bedroom combo. We took our preliminary floor plan drawings to the city building dept. to find out if they would let us build it, and to get advice on the need for professional plans, etc.

We have already built a workshop, and a granny flat added to the house, but we have three generations of adults living here.

Anyway, the short version is that we walked out with an approved permit for both additions to the garage. They accepted the floor plans, and made only a few modifications and minor restrictions. We went through zoning and plan check, building dept check, and paid by check. All in less than two hours.

We were amazed. Another answered prayer.

kevin nee
05-17-2018, 6:13 AM
Good for you. The town made me jump thru hoops just to add a 22x32 addition to an existing barn on my property. Not to be occupied, no plumbing or heat. After the foundation was poured I was required to get an “as built” drawing from a licensed survey firm. I would not attempt applying for a project of that scale. I hope the project continues to go smoothly.

Jim Becker
05-17-2018, 9:10 AM
That was a pretty good experience it sounds like, Rick!

Robert Engel
05-17-2018, 9:16 AM
Wow, where I am you could never do that you would have to have Architect stamped plans with engineering.

Rick Potter
05-17-2018, 11:27 AM
The most amazing thing is that we are in the greater Los Angeles suburban area which is definitely not 'rural'.

Robert, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. When we added the granny flat to the house, we had to hire an engineering firm, and a draftsman to get it through the city, and it ended up costing 7-10K extra.

When it was finished, the inspector told us if we had made it 6 inches shorter in one dimension, we wouldn't have needed all the 'engineering'.