PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a good Shop Vac hose?

Tim M Tuttle
05-16-2018, 2:30 PM
I bought a 20 foot hose at Woodcraft for my Shop Vac and it's junk. Any deformation is permanent and when I hook up various tools to it the hose shortens up and those deformations close up restricting air flow.

The dust right hoses from Rockler look pretty good but I got their small port hose and that thing weighs a ton. I have to set my sander on the floor or the hose will pull it off of the bench.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Nick Decker
05-16-2018, 2:57 PM
The Rockler shop vac hose is, for me, very good. Not perfect, but it's sturdy while still being somewhat manueverable. I don't know how it would work with the Shop Vac brand of vacs, as far as the ports fitting. Mine runs direct out of a Dust Deputy, which is stationary.

I know what you mean about Rockler's small port hoses. What I did to help was to drop a rope down from the ceiling, with a loop in the end of it to support the shop vac hose above my bench. That helps to fight the gravity that wants to drag your tool to the floor. Also cut the small hose to shorten it and keep it out of the way. YMMV.

Jim Becker
05-16-2018, 4:59 PM
On my "regular" shop vac, I have a longer orange colored hose that's flexible and sturdy. I suspect I bought it from Home Depot and that it carried a Ridgid brand name on it. But I bought it a long time ago!

Dustin Bullard
05-16-2018, 5:04 PM
Are you just looking for a hose for general cleanup or for small tools like sanders?

I have 4 small hoses in my shop:

A Rigid hose that came with my Rigid Shop Vac ~ 10 years ago
A Dust Right Universal Small Port Hose Kit
A Festool 27mm Hose that came with my CT36 (before they switched to the fancy new braided hoses)
A Bosh VAC005 Hose

I hate the dust right hose, it collapses along its length forcing you to fight the hose constantly or accept that you have a 3' long hose... The connectors however are really nice... Sadly they only work with the dust right hose...

The Festool Hose is nice, no complaints, it just somehow frequently finds itself trapped under systainers, its also way to expensive imo

I really like the Bosch VAC005 hose for my sanders. Its 16.4' long and has a great nozzle for all of my handheld machines. I actually find myself using it more these days than my festool hose. Oh and it's only $40 on amazon...

The Rigid hose is nothing special but it fits the dust port on my router table as well as all of my 2.5" tools. Other than its bulk and being difficult to adapt it to my smaller tools I have no complaints.

glenn bradley
05-16-2018, 6:21 PM
I also dislike the trendy "stretches to X-times its length" vac hoses. I need a hose to support itself, stay relaxed under suction and not be oddly heavy. I have about 35 feet of steel helix, clear, PVC 2-1/2" diameter hose that came of a 50 foot length. I believe I bought it from Peachtree. I have been dragging it around the shop for about 10 years and its still fine. I have a 10 foot whip for my small powered hand tools that reduces to 1-1/4" at the connecting point to the 2-1/2" hose. It is lightweight and holds its shape. I believe it came with aRidgid badge but, you can find such things at vac supply houses (https://www.zoro.com/shop-vac-vacuum-hose-8ft-x-125-dia-9056500/i/G5237620/feature-product?gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZgJvYtieizS Bmv50Y75oUQB1cYFXPUrzwd8J3_E4cFFL5AWbUyXQPsaAp0VEA Lw_wcB).

385942 . 385943

Dave Sabo
05-16-2018, 6:29 PM
I think that Bosch VAC005 hose is a really good value for an all around hose. Doesn't excell at sanding all day and I wouldn't want to clean up with it all day either. But its a great SUV of a hose at around $40-50.

I think the new Festool braided hoses are really nice. Lightweight and very flexible but with a price to match at $125 up. You can keep the rest.

johnny means
05-16-2018, 9:55 PM
Does anyone else winceat the prices on good vacuum hoses?

George Bokros
05-16-2018, 9:56 PM
You must support the Rockler small port hose from above or it is too heavy. I have the hose support and that works wonders. Until I got that support I fought with the hose constantly..

Tim M Tuttle
05-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Seems like I am not alone in fighting the Rockler hose. It's a pain.

I like my current setup if I had a good hose. I have a 10-15' 2.5" connected to the vac (through a dust deputy) which I use for general clean up. If I want to hook it to any tools that arent 2.5" I use a reducer and connect either a 1.25" Ridgid hose or the Rockler small port hose. This allows me to keep the same thing hooked up and hanging on my shop vac cart and then I just change out the ends. The problem is that 2.5" hose is terrible. Loses it's shape, shortens up, loses suction, etc. I'll take a look at some of the hoses in this thread. Thanks, everyone.

glenn bradley
05-17-2018, 7:02 AM
Does anyone else winceat the prices on good vacuum hoses?

They are one of those things that seem to have a wide price swing. Good ones are definitely better than poor ones in use. Hoses also seem to be one of those things where there are high priced poor ones. The gripes about the heavy Rockler hoses are well founded. I have tried a glossy "professional" hose that was similar in weight and "battle tactics"; waste of money for me.

Nick Shattuck
05-17-2018, 7:40 AM
I'm completely satisfied with home depot's Rigid pro-grade vacuum hose. For the price you can't beat it. I think it's $37 for a 10' hose. You can stand on it and it doesn't crush but it still lightweight and it doesn't noticeably shrink when pulling a vacuum on it.

Tim M Tuttle
05-17-2018, 10:58 AM
I ordered the Bosch hose. Should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it does the trick.

Carl Kona
05-17-2018, 11:08 AM
For others looking for hoses, someone turned me onto this site (catering to car washes, etc) I have not tried them, but look like a variety of quality hoses.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/c-1645-kleen-rite-vacuum-hoses.aspx

Hope this helps.

Carl

John M Wilson
05-17-2018, 11:09 AM
I ordered the Bosch hose.

I have the Bosch hose, and use it and like it quite a bit.

Here's a suggestion: sometimes the supplied rubber tip doesn't quite fit the opening on the tool (like on my Delta CMS). If you remove the rubber swivel adapter on the end of the hose, that gives a slightly different diameter ending. This diameter fits my saw much better than the swivel adapter, and for a stationary tool like a miter saw, I don't miss the ability to rotate the end.

Carroll Courtney
05-17-2018, 6:06 PM
I went to one of those car washing supply places and purchase my hoses,if you ever use a vac at the car wash then you know they will last.Not expensive at all

Curt Harms
05-18-2018, 8:45 AM
I really like the gray hose that came with my Fein Turbo II. Very flexible but doesn't collapse. A brief search didn't yield the exact same thing but there are Fein branded hoses available. They ain't cheap though.

Randall J Cox
05-18-2018, 10:51 AM
I am on my second Fein Turbo II and still on the first hose. Looks like it might outlast me actually. First hose going on about 15 years, replaced the swivel end once. I have central dust collector and use the Fein (a lot) for general clean up.... Host that came with second Fein hanging up waiting for first hose to die, which doesn't look like that's going to happen..... Randy

Carlos Alvarez
05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I've had this for about ten years and love it. Gets stepped on regularly and just generally abused.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-1-2-in-x-20-ft-Tug-A-Long-Vacuum-Hose-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-VT2522/203235220

Nick Decker
05-18-2018, 1:17 PM
I really like the gray hose that came with my Fein Turbo II. Very flexible but doesn't collapse. A brief search didn't yield the exact same thing but there are Fein branded hoses available. They ain't cheap though.

I liked the hose that came with my Fein, but it wasn't long enough for my needs and the fittings didn't fit most things that I needed them to. Mine's hooked up to a DD, from there I use a Rockler hose to whatever tool.

Tim M Tuttle
05-18-2018, 4:24 PM
Thanks to those that recommended the Bosch hose. Just got it and tested it out on the Dust Deputy, track saw, sander, router attachments, etc and it fits all of them perfectly!

Warren Lake
05-18-2018, 9:02 PM
from car detailing I have a master blaster and Blast Vac. The master blaster hose is too heavy and specific for its purpose two motors in that unit The Blast Vac hose is the most flexible easy to use hose ive ever used. Its in sections and you just add as you need. Its smaller diameter but its simple and easy to use light enough but mostly its flexible. I have two other higher quality hoses and both are annoying to use compared. Look up Metropolitan Vaccums I think it is, US im not sure the diameter is large enough for what you want as its a bit smaller than the usual stuff.

scott vroom
05-19-2018, 9:43 AM
I'm a little late to the conversation but I too have the 16' Bosch hose...it fits my Festool sander perfectly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AV78B/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grant Wilkinson
05-19-2018, 1:23 PM
I'm even later to the conversation, but I have this one and it is very good.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=47161&cat=2,42194,40727,47161

Warren Lake
05-19-2018, 1:43 PM
looks the same as the home depot upgrade one, its not light and its not flexible i have it on a ridge vac, the car detailing hose blows it away lighter more flexible and and There is also nothing wrong on length having a clunky hose up to several feet from the tool then something better for the last number of feet, I do this with air lines the regular line up to say 5 feet from the tool then some super light flexible line even from another industry makes for a tool with almost no weight hanging off it when you use it.

Jim Dwight
05-19-2018, 1:57 PM
My two main hoses are the 20 foot 2.5 inch Rigid Carlos recommended and the 16M Bosch several people recommended. I have a Rigid shop vac pulling through a dust deputy in my shop, another Rigid I use away from the shop, and I just got a cordless Ryobi on their current promotion deal where you get a charger, 2 3amphr batteries and another tool for 100. The Rigid on the DD came with a smaller hose that fits a metal tube floor sweep I got somewhere. The short hose on the cordless also fits this floor sweep. The other hoses do not fit it, nor have I found a good adapter. My festool hand sander is another issue. I can force it inside the Bosch hose but that is not an ideal setup. I need that hose in the shop and the sander doesn't need that much air. I'm hoping the cordless works well with that sander. I ordered the Rockler small tool hose for use with this hand sander. It is really handy for drywall work and other things inside a finished house.

The point of my rambling is that the variation in size of the things I want to use force me into several hoses. I'm hoping that when the Rockler arrives I'm done.