PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Tools Recalls Chainsaws

Sid Matheny
05-16-2018, 12:04 AM
I know a lot of turners use electric chainsaw to shape up blanks so I thought I would post this here. If this is not a good place for it, moderators feel free to move it.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Harbor-Freight-Tools-Recalls-Chainsaws-Due-to-Serious--Injury-Hazard

Mark Greenbaum
05-16-2018, 7:45 AM
Thanks, Sid. I've been using this saw for about 5 years (last 2 years in a box, because the carbon brushes wore out and no replacements available). I'll re-assemble and take back to HF for a free replacement.

Mike Cutler
05-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Did they really sell 1,020,000 of these? ( affected units number from the bulletin.)That's a 25 million dollar +recall effort, if those numbers are accurate.

I had no idea that electric chainsaws were that popular.

Jay Mullins
05-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Thanks Sid, I've got the red and black one, I'll check the model number and take it back if it is one of the recalled one's.

Jay

Steve Doerr
05-18-2018, 1:27 PM
Thanks for the update Sid. I'll take mine back for a replacement after the 21st of May.

Sid Matheny
05-18-2018, 8:33 PM
I'm glad it has helped some folks. I try to keep updated on recalls.

Mark Greenbaum
05-21-2018, 8:01 PM
I had to go to 2 different HF's to get a new replacement unit. Each store a whopping 2 units, and luckily I called at 10 am, and they said they'd hold one for me. I have not unboxed it but thanks again Sid. Great bonus for not pitching it in the trash 2 years ago.

Tom Hamilton D'ville, GA
05-22-2018, 3:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The local HF was out of stock, but expecting more tonight. They issued a gift card for the amount purchase and I will trade it for a replacement tomorrow....if I'm there early enough.

Again thanks for spreading the news. Apparently many of us have that saw in the inventory.

Tom