PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Moscow!

Jim Becker
11-18-2005, 6:07 AM
Greetings from Moscow!! Yup...we arrived in the same number of pieces we left with and are enjoying our first full day in sunny...er, not so sunny Russia. It’s a little chilly and windy, but the rain that was falling yesterday when we arrived has left. Light snow is forcast for tomorrow (Saturday). We are expecting very cold, but clear weather when we move on to Tyumen on Sunday to begin the final process of adoption of “A-the-younger” and “A-the-older”.

Traveling to Moscow was a very interesting experience. We had two great flights with Lufthansa; overnight Philadelphia to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Moscow a few hours later. The accomodations on the airline were outstanding, especially the new business class seats on the trans-Atlantic leg, and the food and beverages were top-shelf. The airport in Moscow was a “trip”--we had arranged for “Fast Track” services to speed our arrival routine and wow, it did. We were met at the gate (literally) by a very pretty young lady (in very dangerous looking pointy shoes), let directly to the immigration window past vast lines of people, taken care of there in about a minute and a half, picked up our bags off the conveyor no more than ten minutes later and were then led out to our waiting translator and driver...all in about 15-20 minutes tops.

Our drive into the city, however, was, umm....long. In fact, I think we were in the van for longer than our flight from Frankfurt due to “bad timing” relative to traffic. Even with the shortcut the driver took to avoid a good chunk of the near-standstill traffic just outside the airport, it easily took us two and a half hours to get to the hotel. Moscow just was not built for automobile traffic...we cannot imagine what it would be like with snow on the streets.

The Marriott Grand welcomed us with open arms and our room is spacious and well appointed. In fact, we added “lock the minibar” to our list for next week’s stay with the girls to avoid, umm...trouble. The manager even left a nice bowl of fresh fruit in our sitting area. This morning we met another Pennsylvania couple at breakfast in the lounge who have adopted a beauful little boy from Moscow. They are nearly completed with their 10-day wait (appeal period) and hope to return home next weekend when we do. They were fortunate to get custody of the lad named Alex during this period and the child is doing well with both of them.

After our meal and changing some cash, we set off on foot for Red Square. It’s not an unpleasant walk from the hotel and it gave opportunity to practice reading Cyrillic along the way. Of course, there is a lot of non-cyrillic in Moscow, too...this is an amazingly “commercial” place and any brand name you can think of is here. It’s also a city loaded with banks...very New York like in that respect. At any rate, we walked around Red Square, went through St Basil’s (An incredibly beautiful building on the outside and well along with restoration on the inside), walked through the famous “GUM” department store...which is pretty much a mall at this point...and so forth. I think the strangest thing about Red Square and the Kremlin area is the large number of very big billboards...it's almost like the place is “sponsored” by HP, Aston Martin, tire companies, etc.

This afternoon, we’re going to walk up the street to get a bite to eat and see some more things local to Tverskaya Ulitza (Tverskaya Street). Alison’s sisters and a family friend presented us with a great Marriott “dinner for two” certificate that we are going to use tonight in the Russian eatery here in the hotel. Tomorrow (Saturday) we plan on visiting the Old Arabat area which is famous for it’s shopping and eateries. Other adoptive friends are arriving tomorrow and there are dinner plans in place. We’ll report on all that later!

Keith Starosta
11-18-2005, 6:57 AM
Jim, very glad to hear you both made it there safely. I hope the next step in your journey goes as well. Take care, and can't wait to read your next post!!

Keith

Martin Shupe
11-18-2005, 7:01 AM
Jim,

We are all hoping everything goes well. What an adventure!!! I cannot imagine walking through Red Square.

Keep us informed of your progress, as internet service will allow.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2005, 7:52 AM
Wow! At first I thought you meant Moscow, Idaho 30 miles north of where I live.:rolleyes: Then I remembered your special trip. Good luck with the process. We'll be thinking of you!

John Hart
11-18-2005, 8:04 AM
Wow...sounds like a wonderful trip so far. I am envious. Hope to see lots of pics of the whole trip!!!

John Miliunas
11-18-2005, 8:12 AM
Even though it sounds like a pretty good trip, thus far, I have a hunch it's going to get a LOT better real soon!!!:D Glad everything has gone well to this point. Keep us posted as time & connectivity allow!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
11-18-2005, 8:41 AM
Jim,

It sounds like you are having a dream trip already! I surely hope all goes well for you and you bring the girls home soon!!

Frank Pellow
11-18-2005, 9:30 AM
Nice to hear from you Jim. It sounds like things are going well. I trust that they will continue that way.

Looking forward to hearing more ...

Karl Laustrup
11-18-2005, 9:39 AM
Jim & Alison,

So glad all is going well so far. I'm sure the rest of the process will be just as smooth. You are good people. I know you will be blessed by having the girls, they in turn will be blessed by having such great parents.

Thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue your journey.

Karl

Andy Hoyt
11-18-2005, 10:13 AM
The best part of international travel is coming home. And in your case this will have extra special meaning this time. Enjoy the brave new world!

Kevin Herber
11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Malodetz Tovarichi (loosely translated to "That's Outstanding, Friends!" - It's been a LONG time since my Russian speaking days...)

I read your blog and immediately opened SMC to make sure the news was posted here as well.

Congratulations - I wish you all the best of luck. Have a great trip and get some rest if you can - You are going to need it when you get home!!!!

Dasvidanya! -- Kevin

Dave Ray
11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Good to hear the trip of a lifetime is going so well. Enjoy to the max. Moscow is beautiful and so full of history. When you board the plane on the way home with your girls will be the best part. God bless you and your wife.

John Bailey
11-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Jim,

Congratulations!!! The girls are very lucky. The best man at my wedding (the first wedding) is married to a Russian lady and my wife and I unofficially adopted a Kasikstani girl and are helping her through college. If you ever have the need for someone to help with Russian or culture schock, PM me and I'll put you in touch with them.

Again, congratulations, the adventure is just beginning.

John

Carl Eyman
11-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed. We are interested in your progress.

Ted Shrader
11-18-2005, 1:02 PM
Jim -

Hope all goes smoothly for you and Alison and the girls. Your preparations sound very complete, so hopefully no roadblocks will occur.

Best of luck,
Ted

Von Bickley
11-18-2005, 1:48 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the up-date... Hope everything goes O.K. for "The Becker Family".

Bill Sampson
11-18-2005, 2:20 PM
Jim and Alison,

Please give your daughters a "collective hug" from your friends at SMC.

Your four lives are changing dramatically, and will continue to do so. We thank you for being so transparent by allowing us to share in an "event" that is so private and meaningful to you and your family. Looking forward to your next blog report.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Jim O'Dell
11-18-2005, 2:39 PM
Great news! Sorry, I must have missed the date when you were planning this, though I knew it was this month or next. My SIL spent a year (ending summer of '04) teaching at an English speaking school there in Moscow. I would have been happy to get some ideas on things to do while there, that might be a little off the normal tourist maps.
Good luck with the remainder of the trip. It's good you met some people that can kind of pave the way. Jim.

Ian Barley
11-18-2005, 3:22 PM
Jim

Glad to hear that things are running smoothly. I will be thinking of you and Alison and the girls. Now - how do I arrange to get that treatment at Orlando airport next week??

Norman Hitt
11-18-2005, 9:02 PM
Glad to hear you are having a Great Trip so far, wishing you Continuing Success on the rest of your itenerary and purpose. I hope you will Enjoy the Moscow area a little "Extra", for me too. I was scheduled to go there three times but something always changed, and never did make it. How far is it from Moscow to where the Girls are?

Best Wishes

Joe Melton
11-18-2005, 9:54 PM
Jim, when you leave Moscow, things are a little less luxurious, believe me.
Have a great time. You'll have some stories to tell when you return.
Joe

Gary Herrmann
11-19-2005, 1:00 AM
Без перевода

Well, that was supposed to be congratulations, but I don't know if it's correct.

Joe Mioux
11-19-2005, 1:35 AM
Jim:

Hope all goes well and congrats.
Joe

Vaughn McMillan
11-19-2005, 5:00 AM
Превосходная весточка - Excellent news!

Glad things have gone well so far, and I expect it's all gonna get even better soon.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first SMC post fom Moscow? :)

- Vaughn

John Bailey
11-19-2005, 5:53 AM
Jim,

Some how I missed your original post about the adoption. I've gone back and read some of the info. I'm a real sucker for this kind of thing. My eyes are welling up as I type. You guys are amazing.

Those two are going to have a lot of aunts and uncles, you know!!:)

John

Mark Singer
11-19-2005, 7:17 AM
Jim,
What a great adventure! Sounds like you are enjoying every moment....as you should. This is a great story!

Peter Pedisich
11-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Jim,

That sounds exciting, makes me want to go on a trip!

You are doing a wonderful thing, best wishes for a fun and smooth and traffic-free remainder of your trip.

Pete

Marc Langille
11-20-2005, 9:52 AM
Hi Jim,

I hope your adventure is "smooth sailing" - love to hear more...

Cheers,
Marc

Jay Knoll
11-20-2005, 1:09 PM
Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on the process -- great that you had all those frequent flyer miles to use on the trip! Transatlantic in "steerage" isn't a fun time.

I know that you and Alison are on tenterhooks, but we are all hoping that there won't be any bumps in the adoption road and that you'll have a memorable thanksgiving albeit away from "home".

Jay

Dennis Peacock
11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for posting Jim. I hope that you and Dr. SWMBO, and family are well and I sure hope that all is going well. May each of you be blessed in this holiday season. Now....just make it back safe with ALL of you.!!!;) :D

john whittaker
11-21-2005, 8:51 PM
WOW Jim...
John Bailey really hit on something....we can be cyber aunts & cyber uncles. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes