PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Deodar good for outdoor table? How to seal?

Patrick Irish
05-15-2018, 12:15 PM
I can get a bunch of cedar deodar slabs around 11' long and 2" thick. Want to make an outdoor table but that would require sealing.

I read that sometimes Cypress Deodar doesn't seal or the sap will come through. Anyone have experience?

The slabs are 20" wide or so. I would square them and join them likely. But the table will be outside.

Brian Runau
05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Mildew will be an issue. I made a small 4ft square table out of cypress and love it and believe it will hold up, but the top, even sealed with a marine stain is showing mildew after one season. my table does sit in the shade. brian

Andrew Hughes
05-15-2018, 1:04 PM
Deodar is a cedar, one of the true cedars. It's not in the cypress family.
I have cedar of Lebanon that has the resin canals they clean up pretty easy with Naptha of laquer.
Im not sure if Deodar is a good outdoor wood but I bet it smells nice and should be a lot of fun to work with.
Good luck and lets see a picture

Patrick Irish
05-15-2018, 1:22 PM
Will naptha stop the seeping to allow for a shellac seal and then oil poly?

Brian Holcombe
05-15-2018, 2:37 PM
Shellac is not going to do well outside. To be completely frank, I would save them for something else. 20" slabs are going to have a hard life as outdoor furniture, especially if they cup even slightly and begin to hold water on the surface.

Most outdoor tables are either slatted....or under a covered patio/overhang :D If it won't actually see rain and sun i'd use it, but if it will then save it for a better project.

Brian Runau
05-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Deodar is a cedar, one of the true cedars. It's not in the cypress family.
I have cedar of Lebanon that has the resin canals they clean up pretty easy with Naptha of laquer.
Im not sure if Deodar is a good outdoor wood but I bet it smells nice and should be a lot of fun to work with.
Good luck and lets see a picture

sorry misunderstood. thanks
s