PDA

View Full Version : Infill Plane-- anybody use theirs?

Matt Lau
05-14-2018, 11:40 AM
I have a Norris A5 infill plane, that I bought in a moment of weakness a few years ago.
It's all original.

However, after using planes for a bit, I find myself gravitating towards lighter woodies (Japanese or Chinese).

Does anybody use an Infill Plane anymore?
When would you use it?

I'm considering cleaning it up and ebaying it.

lowell holmes
05-14-2018, 11:52 AM
I looked at one on line, WOW! it was expensive.:)

Dave Anderson NH
05-14-2018, 11:59 AM
I still use the one I built from a kit made by the late Shepherd Tool Company. It is a reproduction of a Spiers.

Bruce Haugen
05-14-2018, 4:13 PM
I have one, the bronze smoother from St James Bay. I got the casting rough, very rough. Leveled the bottom, flattened the sides, cut the mouth, made the infills, shaped the tote and finished the lever cap. The blade and cap iron I got from Ron Hock. I still use it. It’s the best smoother I have, except my DX60, which I treat as a mini-smoother.

Jim Koepke
05-14-2018, 5:12 PM
They often tempt me while perusing ebay and other sites.

Though my Stanley/Bailey planes have never given me a reason to expect better results from something else.

jtk

Matt Lau
05-14-2018, 6:20 PM
Hey Bruce,

What are other planes that you've tried?
I haven't actually used my infill all that much, since there's a lot more cleaning that needs to be done.
It's also really, really heavy.

For softwoods, I have yet to beat my Japanese planes.
For hardwoods, I get great results with my small BU smoother and Mujingfang (when properly honed).

Maybe, I just need to get more muscles.

Bruce Haugen
05-14-2018, 6:56 PM
Hey Bruce,

What are other planes that you've tried?
I haven't actually used my infill all that much, since there's a lot more cleaning that needs to be done.
It's also really, really heavy.

For softwoods, I have yet to beat my Japanese planes.
For hardwoods, I get great results with my small BU smoother and Mujingfang (when properly honed).

Maybe, I just need to get more muscles.

My other bench planes are all Stanley, #3 through #8, and they’re the ones I grab 95% of the time. I also have LV medium shoulder and DX60. I’ve wanted to get a Mujinfang but I never seem to get a round tuit.

Whups, I see you asked about ones I’ve tried. Those would include a Veritas smoother and a couple L-N, plus one unbelievable Ron Brese smoother, the very best plane I’ve ever handled. There might have been a couple other ones at the first Handworks show in Amana.

David Turner
05-14-2018, 7:01 PM
I have an original Norris A-5 and when my #604 Bedrock and the Lie Nielsen #4 are sharp, I can't tell a bit of difference in the smoothing performance.
The Norris of course is the heaviest.

David Turner
North Raleigh, NC

Steve Elliott
05-14-2018, 7:55 PM
My infill smoother is my favorite plane. I used it at work last Friday as part of my coming-to-grips with the fact that my company downsized our shop and couldn't find room for our widebelt sander.

Hasin Haroon
05-15-2018, 12:52 AM
I used to be obsessed with finding infill planes - I kept hearing about how the heft of the planes make them amazing to use, and was tempted by how great they look. Then I bought one - paid a lot for it too. It's a great plane, tight mouth, works great - but it's heavy, and no better than my Veritas or LN planes (I'd argue the new ones are actually better). It now just sits on a shelf mostly unused.

Matt Lau
05-16-2018, 4:41 PM
Hasin,

I'm the same as you. It's currently sitting in my dental office staring at me.