PDA

View Full Version : A bit of nostalgia for us older guys

Al Launier
05-14-2018, 10:56 AM
A friend of mine forwarded this site to me yesterday. Made my day!

https://safeshare.tv/x/FEDEwZHZXu

What memories this video brought back. I recall it all.

Enjoy.

Ted Calver
05-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Yup...me too. I'm not nostalgic about some parts of those old days, but they seem far simpler than what we deal with these days. We still watch old westerns on STZENWS (Starz Encore Westerns).

Marshall Harrison
05-14-2018, 12:45 PM
i was born in '56 but I remember or had a lot of those things. Lots of them carried over into the '60s.

This is one on my favorite songs about that time and the hopes people had.

https://youtu.be/nTncxKtu9PU

Bill McNiel
05-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks for sharing Al. A lot of wonderful memories from my youth.

Perry Hilbert Jr
05-14-2018, 3:01 PM
there's a lot of things to miss about the 1950's. There are a lot of reasons to say good riddance too. I lost my best playmate/buddy to a form of leukemia that is easily cured today. Saw him go through hell. We have vaccines for most childhood illnesses that I had to endure. Measles, mumps, chicken pox, I had all three. I remember the polio scares in the summer. Air raid drills. I remember how scared the adults were when the Russians launched the first space vehicle before we could.

Marshall Harrison
05-14-2018, 4:07 PM
there's a lot of things to miss about the 1950's. There are a lot of reasons to say good riddance too. I lost my best playmate/buddy to a form of leukemia that is easily cured today. Saw him go through hell. We have vaccines for most childhood illnesses that I had to endure. Measles, mumps, chicken pox, I had all three. I remember the polio scares in the summer. Air raid drills. I remember how scared the adults were when the Russians launched the first space vehicle before we could.

I was born and grew up in north Florida. I remember the air raid drills we did in school during the Cuban missile crisis. Things sure were different back during the cold war and at the beginning of the space race.

David Helm
05-15-2018, 1:01 PM
Most was from the 50s but there was a 1960 Chevy in there too.

Rich Engelhardt
05-15-2018, 2:53 PM
Yep - if I'm not mistaken, the 78 RPM records were more of a 1930's/1940's thing also. I recall the .45 as the disk of the 50's.

Bill Jobe
05-15-2018, 5:03 PM
As best I can recall, I had a transistor radio exactly like that one. Very high tech and envied by those who did not have one. But it seems that came about in the very early 60s.
And, yes, I recall watching Sputnik, scared out of my mind because all the adults in my world were scared.

David Helm
05-16-2018, 4:03 PM
Yep - if I'm not mistaken, the 78 RPM records were more of a 1930's/1940's thing also. I recall the .45 as the disk of the 50's.

The 78s were still happening in the 50s (early). The first record I got was Sh'Boom. It was a 78.

Yonak Hawkins
05-17-2018, 12:59 AM
I remember the air raid drills we did in school during the Cuban missile crisis.

I remember the Cuban missile crisis. I remember walking home from 7th grade, fully expecting to hear a nuclear explosion in my city. I was so scared .. we all were.

I recall the .45 as the disk of the 50's.

This is funny. I don't know if it's a typo or on purpose but it's so funny. Our parents thought the music on the 45s was so dangerous. It was going to ruin our lives.

Bill Jobe
05-17-2018, 1:58 AM
I remember the Cuban missile crisis. I remember walking home from 7th grade, fully expecting to hear a nuclear explosion in my city. I was so scared .. we all were.

This is funny. I don't know if it's a typo or on purpose but it's so funny. Our parents thought the music on the 45s was so dangerous. It was going to ruin our lives.

Ouch! A witty jab.
Mine's plurals with an apostrophe.
(Did I catch it in time?)

Rick Potter
05-17-2018, 2:53 AM
The '60 chevy came out in Sept. '59. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Perry Hilbert Jr
05-17-2018, 7:33 AM
In the 1950's I was hooked on Westerns. Tales of Texas Rangers, Fury, Sky king, Bat Masterson, Annie Oakly, Circus Boy, Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, Roy Rogers, Hop Along Cassidy, Maverick, Broken Arrow, Tombstone Territory, Wyatt Earp, Zane Gray Theater and Death Valley Days. A lot of TV westerns actually did not start until 1960 or afterward.

Marshall Harrison
05-17-2018, 8:24 AM
In the 1950's I was hooked on Westerns. Tales of Texas Rangers, Fury, Sky king, Bat Masterson, Annie Oakly, Circus Boy, Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, Roy Rogers, Hop Along Cassidy, Maverick, Broken Arrow, Tombstone Territory, Wyatt Earp, Zane Gray Theater and Death Valley Days. A lot of TV westerns actually did not start until 1960 or afterward.

Mine is from the early 60's. Death Valley Days, Have Gun Will Travel, Branded, The Whirlybird Birds, Rat Patrol and 12 O'clock High.

Al Launier
05-17-2018, 11:28 AM

So was I. Great memories indeed!

David Helm
05-19-2018, 11:49 AM

I was in the military during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Home on leave, called back from leave early.

Lee DeRaud
05-20-2018, 12:03 AM
there's a lot of things to miss about the 1950's. There are a lot of reasons to say good riddance too. I lost my best playmate/buddy to a form of leukemia that is easily cured today. Saw him go through hell. We have vaccines for most childhood illnesses that I had to endure. Measles, mumps, chicken pox, I had all three. I remember the polio scares in the summer. Air raid drills. I remember how scared the adults were when the Russians launched the first space vehicle before we could.I recall getting a blast of anti-nostalgia reading Stephen King's '11/22/63', where the protagonist from today ends up spending several years in the early '60's. One of the things that no one seems to mention about those days, because we didn't have a basis for comparison at the time, was the smell: bad smog, very heavy cigarette usage, and lack of modern deodorants/antiperspirants. I've seen the same effect mentioned for more primitive environments, but not for a time/place so (relatively) "modern".

And yeah, illnesses that no one today even thinks about. I recall being surprised at a younger person not having a smallpox vaccination...didn't realize they had stopped doing that when I was still relatively young.