PDA

View Full Version : Peacock egg

John K Jordan
05-14-2018, 6:41 AM
Last year a friend caught a wild peacock that started hanging around his farm. Very unusual coloring, nothing like the Indian Blue birds I raise. It was small, missing some claws probably from frostbite, looked young to me but had the beginnings of spurs. He named it Louie and I put it in a pen here with some other birds. Recently some females started attacking it so I moved them out and left it with a male.

Yesterday evening it laid an egg so I guess we'll call it Louise now.

From photos I found the bird is a "Pied Indian Blue" peahen, a combination of white, grey-brown, and some green/blue on the neck. I put the egg in with the others so we'll see if it hatches when the hens get broody. About 20 eggs in the next box now.

JKJ

Jim Becker
05-14-2018, 9:06 AM
That might be a very interesting offspring!

Dennis Peacock
05-14-2018, 11:27 AM
JoJo, our pet Peacock of the neighborhood is now dead. JoJo has been in our area and eating from our property for well over 10 years now. I will miss him.
I hope this offspring comes up great and lives a long prosperous life.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2018, 12:35 PM
I always thought Peacocks might be hatched.:eek: Thanks for the evidence John!:rolleyes::p:D

John K Jordan
05-14-2018, 5:19 PM
JoJo, our pet Peacock of the neighborhood is now dead. JoJo has been in our area and eating from our property for well over 10 years now. I will miss him.
I hope this offspring comes up great and lives a long prosperous life.

If we have a bounty of chicks (you never know) I might donate one to your neighborhood if someone has a place to raise it. Males are fully mature in about 3 years.

Just 10 minutes ago I sold the second of the two young males hatched last summer.

BTW, the best quick large cages I've come up with are the 10x10x6' chain link dog kennels. I use extra chain link panels to close in the top and use a frame and canvas roof from the farmer's co-op to provide shade and a dry area:

JKJ

Dennis Peacock
05-14-2018, 6:22 PM
I always thought Peacocks might be hatched.:eek: Thanks for the evidence John!:rolleyes::p:D

Now Fitz.......You already knew us Peacocks were hatched. Someone told me years ago that they bet that 2 buzzards bumped butts and I fell out. :rolleyes: :p :D

Jim Becker
05-14-2018, 6:55 PM
Now Fitz.......You already knew us Peacocks were hatched. Someone told me years ago that they bet that 2 buzzards bumped butts and I fell out. :rolleyes: :p :D
I'm not sure your parents would have appreciated that particular description of how you came to be, Dennis... :) :D LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2018, 7:16 PM

At my age Bibs, one often forgets what they already knew and start the learning process all over again!:D

Myk Rian
05-14-2018, 9:23 PM
Does that make you a Bird Tird? :D

Bill Dufour
05-14-2018, 10:53 PM
reminds me of the old joke. If a peacock sits on a roof ridge running est-west which way will the egg roll?
Bil lD.

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2018, 11:06 AM
LOL!! You boys are funny!!! :D

Mel Fulks
05-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Bill, here's another laugh....took me while to figure it out! Guess city folk just don't hear "pea hen" often enough. Oh well, how much can a new identity cost?!