PDA

View Full Version : First Project with pix

Paul Dell'Anno
11-17-2005, 10:35 PM
After collecting tools and reading through the posts, I decided it was time to jump in and build something. Here are some pix of a nightstand for built for my sister. I learned a few things, namely, mark location of biscuits when laying up the top. The center of three biscuits can be seen on the left side of the table. Live and learn.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. I am basically looking for some encouragement to continue with this hobby.

Rob Russell
11-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Hey Paul - the nightstand looks great.

Is your sister happy with it?

Russ Massery
11-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Very nice, Paul. In fact very good for a first. Don't worry,I think we've all made the "biscuit" mistake:rolleyes:. I for one have. Keep up the good work!:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Nice stand Paul. Very nice for a first project.

Corey Hallagan
11-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Definitely stay with the hobby. This looks like a very nice piece, I wouldn't have know the screw up if you hadn't pointed it out. My first project years ago was a simple shelf, I managed to screw that up! Judging by this project, I would say you have alot of nice work ahead of you. Half of the hobby is learning the techniques, applications and process and the only real way to learn it is to jump in and just do it like you have done. Congrats on a great project. Looking forward to more!
Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Nice first project Paul! We all make minor mistakes and prefer to call them adjustments in design!;) :D

Vaughn McMillan
11-18-2005, 3:40 AM
I dunno, Paul, I think maybe you should give up while you're still ahead. It's OK, I'll store your tools for you. (BTW, got anything good? I sure could use a drum sander or a DC system.) :D

Kidding aside, you did a real nice job, especially for a first shot. Look no further for encouragement..the SMC gang has plenty to share. You've already displayed an important woodworker trait -- you recognized your mistakes and have learned from them. That's a necessary behavior whether you're a relative beginner like me, or a seasoned pro.

You've also shown you've already learned another important SMC point...you know how to bribe the Picture Police with offerings of pixels. ;)

Again, nice job, and don't quit now...the fun's only started. You've started down a slippery slope that you won't likely regret.

- Vaughn

Bob Noles
11-18-2005, 6:48 AM
Paul,

Of course stay with the hobby..... why would someone woth your talent even consider otherwise. I think the nightstand look great! The drawer and door appear to have very tight fits and everything appears square. As far as the mistake... what mistake? I certainly can't see it and I'm already on my 2nd cup of coffee :D

Seriously..... Excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

Neil Bosdet
11-18-2005, 7:03 AM
Wow Paul. That's an impressive first project complete with a drawer, frame and panel door, Euro hinges and more. I think mine was a bird house. What's next? Turn of the century replica secretary? Good work.

lou sansone
11-18-2005, 7:09 AM
hi paul
welcome to another nutmegger ... that stand looks great.. this is the only way we can learn about stuff. life is just that way. It is a nice looking stand. So keep up the good work and tell us what is on the drawing board.

regards
lou

John Hart
11-18-2005, 8:16 AM
I just went downstairs to look at my first project from 25 years ago. Can I have yours? It's a lot nicer!!!:D

Scott Parks
11-18-2005, 10:22 AM
No complaints, it looks good!

I wouldn't complain about anything. It looks like you've done your homework and tackled a lot of advanced techniques. I see a lot of newbies make rails and stiles backwards, which drives me nuts. But you got it right first time. The biscuits were a simple booboo that I'm sure half of everyone here has done. You could always fix it if you wanted to. I like the gloss finish, looks good.

Don't worry, Paul, my first two serious woodworking projects aren't around any more. They didn't pass the test of time. But, one (a pine table top) was recycled into raised panels for my shop cabinets.

Stick with it, you'll learn a lot from your mistakes and soon be cranking out fine furniture.

John Gregory
11-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Great job. You will find that you learn something new on every project. But that is part of the fun of woodworking, the challenges and the lessons.

John

David Wilson
11-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Looking good Paul. Just say that the wood had been infested with biscotti worms whick add characture.

Jason Tuinstra
11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Paul, I can assure you that my first project looked nowhere near this one. This one actually looks square and flat to the ground - that would have been a major sucess for my first project. So why wouldn't you keep going with this hobby? I guess you have to enjoy it, but it looks like you have the skill to do it. So keep it up and don't let mistakes throw you off. The key to being a good woodworker is being able to hide your mistakes - at least that's been my approach :D :p

Tom Conger
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Paul:

Nice first project. Pretty ambitous and it looks like you pulled it off very nicely.

I am still new and what I have noticed is that no one notices your mistakes more than you do. My wife is darn picky and an interior decorator wanna be. Somehow, even though I know my projects have lots of errors, she still lets them in the house. I stopped pointing them out. She will do it. If she notices.....

Dan Forman
11-18-2005, 3:35 PM
That's a fairly complex piece for a first project, and there is much to like, in spite of the errant biscuit. Keep going by all means.

Dan

tod evans
11-18-2005, 3:41 PM
if you`re like the rest of us you couldn`t quit now even if you wanted to. you`ve completed a nice project and been bitten by the sawdust bug so untill somebody starts an ex-woodworkers anonymous group hang on to your wallet and enjoy the addiction. tod

David Duke
11-18-2005, 3:49 PM
Very nice job Paul, as has already been pointed out the only way to get better is to keep on making sawdust and as most who have been doing this awhile there are never mistakes just last minute design changes!!!

As far as continuing WW as a hobby ask yourself,does this bring me relaxation and pleasure? If you answer yes to these two questions the answer is OF COURSE!!:D :D :D