PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers

lowell holmes
05-13-2018, 12:48 PM
I just ran across their web site. I have two or three of their tools. I curious if any of you
have their tools and do you use them. I have some of their squares but I really don't use them.
They look pretty on my shop wall though.

Matt Day
05-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Lots of folks here have and use their tools often.

Marshall Harrison
05-13-2018, 1:06 PM
They do have some tools that look nice and I would love to have some of them. But they are too expensive for me at the moment as I'm still building out my shop and cheaper versions of the tools will work for me at the moment. That way I can concentrate my funds on more useful tools. I'm retires so I not only have to budget, I have to schedule tool purchases to get the most bang for the buck.

Once I have all the big purchases completed I wold love to add some Woodpecker tools.

Jim Becker
05-13-2018, 1:10 PM
Woodpeckers has excellent quality and some unique offerings, too. But as already indicated, they come with a price tag. They are also prolific emailers to folks on their list, in case that matters to you.

Cary Falk
05-13-2018, 2:30 PM
I love and use all my Woodpecker stuff.

George Bokros
05-13-2018, 3:59 PM
I too have some Woodpecker stuff and use them and love them. I am selective of what I buy though.

Alan Heffernan
05-13-2018, 4:09 PM
I have two squares and a T-square. All were worth the cost to me and I use them often.
385823 385824 385825

I have their straight edge and an extreme case of buyer's remorse. I bought it to tune up my jointer and it is almost worthless. I ended up replacing it with a decent straight edge from Lee Valley.

As already said, the stuff is sometimes cost prohibitive. Most of the one time tools seem quite gimmicky to me personally. Of my four pieces, the straight edge is the only one I bought sight unseen and untested. I will no longer buy a piece without testing it out and holding it. Yes, that is a problem unless you have some buddies who have it, you can attend a show, or visit a store that has it. All of which are a bit limited for me. But the straight edge taught me a lesson.

Carlos Alvarez
05-13-2018, 4:35 PM
What's wrong with the straight edge? I have the combo center/normal one and love it. I *really* like the carpenter's square.

Jon Snider
05-13-2018, 4:36 PM
Echoing what Jim said. I’ve been on and off their email list for forever. I like seeing the one time tool offerings, and have succumbed to a few, but after a while I get sick of the almost daily emails and unsubscribe.

Nick Decker
05-13-2018, 4:53 PM
What's wrong with the straight edge? I have the combo center/normal one and love it. I *really* like the carpenter's square.

Carlos, FWIW, the center finding rulers they sell aren't technically straight edges. Yes, they're pretty straight but they're not checked for precision like the SERX straight edges. They also don't stand up by themselves.

I'm curious about what was wrong with Alan's. Pretty sure they'd replace it if faulty.

Nick Decker
05-13-2018, 4:55 PM
I agree that their emails can get tedious. Then you get emails from other vendors that sell the same WP stuff.

Alan Heffernan
05-13-2018, 5:34 PM

It is too narrow and has a V grooved edge that it sits on. It is extremely unstable and you spend more time trying to hold it up than you do adjusting the surfaces that you are working on. If you use a thickness gauge as shown in their photo I posted above without stabilizing the straight edge with your other hand, you will knock it over. Happens over and over until you are ready to drop it in the trash. Here's a shot that shows the v-grooved edge.

I did call Woodpeckers and discussed the issue with them. They emailed me their recommendation in a couple of days and recommended that I return it to Hartsfield Tool where I'd bought it. It is now in the corner since it was replaced with a quality steel straight edge from Lee Valley. I am guessing it may come in handy sometime in the future but it sure did not serve the purpose for which I bought it. I wanted a straight edge which was functional for setting the tables on a parallelogram jointer. It made that job a PITA.

glenn bradley
05-13-2018, 6:04 PM
I have the 12" and 24" rule. They are thick, wide and heavy when compared to a more typical steel rule and therefor awkward for general marking and measuring tasks. When I want something to stay put while I am working around it, these are the rules I reach for. In the role I bought them for, they serve me well. Like most Woodpecker stuff, the quality is top notch. Just make sure you are buying them for a suitable use. Otherwise you do end up with expensive wall decor.

Mike Cutler
05-13-2018, 6:44 PM
Alan

I have a 6' Starrett machine rule, straight edge, for setting up machines.
I have two blocks of wood, about 3" tall, 4" wide and 1" thick, that have a cut ,the height of the Starrett, in the face of each one. The two blocks saddle the straight edge and keep it on edge.
It's a shame to have a nice straight edge, like you do, and not be able to use it.Possibly a low tech solution like mine might enable you to be able to use it.

Carlos Alvarez
05-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I have different techniques for tool tuning and never expected a straight edge to stand by itself. I didn't know it was possible. And I swear if you people just made me spend more money......

Michael Moscicki
05-14-2018, 12:57 AM
I have their 1281 square, mini square, saw gauge, 36 inch straight edge rule, and shelf pin template. Quality American made tools.

Frederick Skelly
05-14-2018, 6:41 AM
I have the 12" and 24" rule. They are thick, wide and heavy when compared to a more typical steel rule and therefor awkward for general marking and measuring tasks. When I want something to stay put while I am working around it, these are the rules I reach for. In the role I bought them for, they serve me well. Like most Woodpecker stuff, the quality is top notch. Just make sure you are buying them for a suitable use. Otherwise you do end up with expensive wall decor.

+1. I've got the same 2 rules and have had the same experience.

Marshall Harrison
05-14-2018, 7:12 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I have different techniques for tool tuning and never expected a straight edge to stand by itself. I didn't know it was possible. And I swear if you people just made me spend more money......

LOL. That is definitely a hazard on SMC.

I keep a spreadsheet with my tool inventory. AND one as a wish list of tools I would like to have.

Nick Decker
05-14-2018, 7:14 AM
Alan, I see what you mean about the SERX rule being tippy. I guess I just don't use mine in the same way, usually have a hand on it to be sure I don't drop it and knock it out of whack.

Marshall Harrison
05-14-2018, 8:17 AM
Snd your tippy rulers to me and I'll provide them a loving home...just trying to be helpful. :D

John Sanford
05-14-2018, 5:26 PM
They make some good stuff. I have their 6" ruler, private labeled by them to Pinnacle, use it CONSTANTLY. They also provided the Carpenter's Square in Alan's post above to Pinnacle, although I don't think the Pinnacle version has the rule on it. I also have both the 2' Rule and the 2' T-Square, haven't used the latter much yet, but when I do it's da bee's knees. (I fell in love with T-Squares back when I was hanging the firerock for a 180 unit 4 building apartment complex.) Some of their One Time Tool's make me say "huh???", others elicit a "well, that's pretty cool, don't have a use for it though", and some are "that's cool, I'ma gonna get me that!"

Just yesterday I was using the 2' Rule to mark center on some 16" long pieces of 1/8" rod. The rule is much easier to use for that than a centering tape measure (another great tool btw) is because the rule stays FLAT.

The only functional downside to most of their offerings is many are made of aluminum, which has a less than cordial relationship with concrete and harder metals. This lack of cordiality becomes apparent when you drop the aluminum tool onto the steel tool or concrete floor.

Chris Parks
05-15-2018, 12:13 AM
I don't like their rules because they do not have indents like Starrett or any engineers rule. Without the indents you cannot use dividers accurately to set up a measurement as you can with an indented rule.

Steve Demuth
05-15-2018, 10:35 AM
The only functional downside to most of their offerings is many are made of aluminum, which has a less than cordial relationship with concrete and harder metals. This lack of cordiality becomes apparent when you drop the aluminum tool onto the steel tool or concrete floor.

Completely agree. Much as I like the measuring tools I have from Woodpecker, they are too subject to damage given the premium price. A good stainless steel rule is for most purposes a better choice in my shop.

Ellen Benkin
05-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Woodpeckers tools are usually high quality and they sure are pretty. But I'm offended by their high price and "one time" marketing. Of course, they aren't "one time" because they keep bringing them back. I stick with my Starrett items and are happy with them. And I can buy them anytime I want one -- usually on ebay.

Carlos Alvarez
05-15-2018, 11:53 AM
I like the products, and they have been responsive to a customer service issue as far as replies, but I'm a month into waiting for a warranty replacement. And it was defective when shipped, so I've never been able to use it.

Wade Lippman
05-15-2018, 9:20 PM
I have a router lift and a router fence. Even at half price for "previously enjoyed" they are expensive, but really solid.

I bought some inserts for the lift and complained their shipping was too high. They lowered it. Don't see that every day.