PDA

View Full Version : Broken folding ruler

lowell holmes
05-13-2018, 11:07 AM
What do you do with them.
I'm looking at one right now.

I save half of the ruler and make a folding yard stick.

I used to have a 96" one. I think I will look for another one.

Peter Christensen
05-13-2018, 7:37 PM
Lee Valley sell a few.

Bradley Gray
05-14-2018, 8:14 AM
Hang it on the wall to remind you not to walk around without folding your new rule.

Robert Engel
05-14-2018, 9:12 AM
Nothing wrong with a short one, right?

Cut if off at 36 or 48".

Jack Frederick
05-14-2018, 10:15 AM
I broke one of my Lufkin Inside rulers years ago and regularly rely upon the one ft section that I have kept. If I'm at the bench I'll use my metal rulers, but I've about worn the numbers off that little stick.

Marshall Harrison
05-14-2018, 4:13 PM
Less than $10 for a Stanley or a Lufkin at the big box stores. Just buy another one and move on.

Brice Rogers
05-15-2018, 1:50 AM
If you use quart cans of paint/varnish/finish, just break it or cut it every six inches and use it for stirring paint. You now have a several-year's supply. If you use gallon cans, then break them at the one-foot section.

Ron Kurzius
05-15-2018, 8:01 AM
My dad started building in the late 40's and that's all they used, no tapes as we know them today. Everyone that broke was tossed into a milk box and used for parts. Takes about ten mins to replace a section and you're good to go. Many of them were worn on the first 6 inches so they were tossed into the box but they had lots of good replacement parts.

I still have what's left of the parts but never repair them anymore. As they wear they become less accurate and that's not a big deal when you're doing the measuring and cutting but giving a number to someone else to use could be off enough to ruin a piece of trim.

lowell holmes
05-22-2018, 12:18 AM
There's nothing wrong with a folding yardstick.:)