PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus Vahhse

John Hart
11-17-2005, 9:00 PM
Hi all,
This is a Marble Eucalyptus Burl. It was the most challenging to dry that I've run into so far. I boiled the blank to get it stable, dried it for a few weeks, then did a rough out, then dried it submerged in alcohol for a week, then let it dry for another week. I was very pleased that I got no movement to speak of over that time. Anyway...here it is. It's 3.5" in diameter and a little over 6" high with wall thickness of about 3/16. I hand-rub finished it with my BLO/DNA/Shellac cocktail (Non spinning) then gave it a buff job with an automotive polishing cloth.

Thanks for lookin'!!! Comments and Criticisms are most welcome! :)

Ernie Nyvall
11-17-2005, 9:38 PM
Wow John, that looks great!!! Very nice wood too and your photography really sets it off.

Ernie

Bill Stevener
11-17-2005, 9:46 PM
Hi John,
Well, what can I say, a long way from pens. Just gorgeous, and shown in a very pleasing light. The atmosfeer really sets it off.
Always wanted to try some of that Euc. burl, now I know how nice it can look.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>

Mark Cothren
11-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey John, what a great piece of wood you have there! You did a wonderful job on the piece, in my opinion. I really like it.

Thanks for the picture!

Keith Burns
11-17-2005, 10:05 PM
There you go again John. Whats the deal making all these beautiful vahhases...vases....vaheses.....ah, heck with it..hollow forms.:D You are definately turning out some great pieces along with great photographic presentation. Keep it up, they make my day!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-17-2005, 11:00 PM
That is the CREME DE LA CREME!

Bruce

John Hart
11-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone! Geez...with comments like these....you guys just drive me to keep at it! Thanks very much.:)

John Miliunas
11-17-2005, 11:35 PM
In a word: WOW!!! :) Really a magnificent job on that one, John and I admire your patience! It's going to be a lo-o-o-ong, long time, if ever, before I can produce anything even close to that! Simply beautiful and definitely worthy of vahhhhhhse!:D Say, what are you using for hollowing those puppies out with? I have a hard enough time with bowls, much less something with that much area to excavate. Thanks again for the inspiration! Keep 'em coming!!!:) :cool:

Loy Hawes
11-18-2005, 1:38 AM
Nice form and great wood!

Earl Eyre
11-18-2005, 1:38 AM
Beautiful job with beautiful wood. I don't think I'd have that much patience in drying, either. I'd just let it warp! You can be very proud of this one.
Earl

Michael Stafford
11-18-2005, 6:04 AM
Truly a most mahhvelous vahhse! I have turned one piece of that wood and it sure is a beautiful wood. You did a great job of displaying the character and beauty of it. That form is certainly recognizable as the Hart style!:D

Karl Laustrup
11-18-2005, 6:11 AM
John, you just keep amazing us with your turnings. Wonderful form and wood.

Where did you get the eucalyptus? When we lived in SoCal eucalyptus was all over and I used to burn it in the fireplace [super hot fire]. As I remember it was very dense and a real pain to split. Just curious if that in SoCal is the same as the type you turned?

Karl

Ed Scolforo
11-18-2005, 6:32 AM
JOhn: You're really kicking butt! Beautiful work!
Ed

Travis Stinson
11-18-2005, 6:38 AM
Beautiful John! A lovely form and some awesome wood.:cool:

John Hart
11-18-2005, 7:17 AM
Thanks again fellers!!:) Yer makin' my day, that's for sure.
John M - For hollowing, I just use a homemade side scraper that I made out of a chisel that I dug up in the back yard. It ain't pretty, but it works!;)

Karl - I got the Eucalyptus from Berea Hardwoods. I think they got it from overseas somewhere, but I don't know exactly. Next time I'm there, I'll ask. They have a bunch of it though....I guess it's not that popular because it's so wet and moves so much when it dries.

Thanks again!

Andy Hoyt
11-18-2005, 7:19 AM
Mahvelous dahling, simply mahvelous. Just what I need for the house in the Hamptons.

Chris Barton
11-18-2005, 8:10 AM
Hey John,

Great piece and I really like the voids and how they add to the piece.

Shelley Bolster
11-18-2005, 9:24 AM
Perfection in Wood....that is the only appropriate title for that John!