PDA

View Full Version : A couple of birthday presents....

Michael Stafford
11-17-2005, 8:19 PM
In no particular order here are two presents I received from my friends Jim Ketron and Travis Stinson. Folks, it doesn't get any better than this.

A while back I was given a piece of a log of masur birch. I was unsure what to do with it and I posted a question on several forums seeking guidance. One night in chat Travis and I were talking and I agreed to send him a piece of the log I had. Then yesterday I received a package in the mail from Travis. I wanted to open it then but my wife made me wait until today. The first picture shows the magnificent piece of work Travis turned from that waxy log I sent him. It is about 4" in diameter and 4 1/2" tall and has an ebony collar.

While at Dick Parr's picnic, Jim Ketron and I struck up an agreement that we would exchange gifts on our birthdays. Today I received a package from Jim that contained not only a beautiful hollow form made from some lovely curly box elder but he thoughtfully included a beautiful confetti lamp turned from canary wood for my wife. Jim's box elder hollow form is also about 4" in diameter and 4 1/2" tall and he turned a bloodwood collar. Jim said that this was his first collar.

Jim, Travis, I don't know if I can express my thanks and admiration for sending me such beautiful works of art. The finish and polish on both of these pieces is truly wonderful. They are magnificent and I cannot remember a birthday that I have been more surprised and more pleased. Thank you both very much.

Joe Tonich
11-17-2005, 8:21 PM
SWEET! Couldn't go to a nicer guy. :D

Jim, Trav, you guys do NICE work!!

Joe

Andy Hoyt
11-17-2005, 8:45 PM
Mike - You're a lucky guy. Happy Birthday!

Travis and Jim - Please take note - ALL of us have birthdays!

Mark Cothren
11-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Congrats Mike! You have some nice pieces to add to your collection there!

Keith Burns
11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
That is so cool Mike, couldn't go to a nicer guy ! Travis and Jim...those are some great looking pieces. Nice job.:) :) :)

Bill Stevener
11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
You will never beet work from the heart. Those fellas must really care.
Bill>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
11-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Congrats Mike and again Happy Birthday. Those are some beautiful gifts from some friends.;)

John Hart
11-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Congratulations Mike on some truly priceless gifts. Travis and Jim...Wonderful work and sensational gestures both!!;)

Jim Ketron
11-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Your very welcome Big Mike, and Thank you buddy!
Travis that is a Beautiful work of art there:eek: the Form is perfect, and WOW:eek: that wood Is awesome!
Happy Birthday Mike!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Happy Birthday Mike. Great STUFF from Good people.

Bruce

Travis Stinson
11-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Mike, I'm thrilled to have been able to turn that piece. It was about the most fun I've had since I started turning. This was tough to keep under wraps!:D ;)

John Miliunas
11-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Mike, I'd love nothing more to say than, "I'm surprised!" But, knowing you being the recipient and those two fella's as the givers, it really comes as no surprise whatsoever!:) This is the Creek, after all!:D Even so, my hat goes off to both gentlemen for some really beautiful pieces of work! Definitely something to aspire to! Great job, guys!:) :cool:

Dick Parr
11-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Oh Ya, By the way I feel slighted! :( Where are the pictures of all those beautiful wood gifts that I sent you for your Birthday? Haven't you turned them yet.:D ;)

Robert Watsek
11-18-2005, 1:39 AM
Happy Birthday Mike!!!

Some beatiful gifts there, Jim and Travis, both are great people.

Bob

Karl Laustrup
11-18-2005, 6:05 AM
Gentlemen,

First Mike, Happy Birthday. I don't think they come much better.

Travis and Jim, the pieces you created are stunning to say the least.

Kudos to each of you. This is such a great place to hang out. :)

Karl

Ed Scolforo
11-18-2005, 6:36 AM
Happy Birthday, Mike. Beautiful gifts!
Ed

Mark Singer
11-18-2005, 7:50 AM
Michael,
If I could turn I would send you something.....why embarass myself:rolleyes:
Great gifts!

Rich Stewart
11-18-2005, 1:34 PM
Wow those are beautiful. I'd have to add a room just to house something like that. You are really lucky to have friends like that.