PDA

View Full Version : For those with a Hitchi M12V in a table

Dan McLaughlin
06-28-2003, 3:24 PM
What are you using as a mounting plate? I have a Rockler table with a Bosch 1617 combo presently in it. I also just acquired a Hitachi M12V that I want to give a permanent home in that table. The only pre-drilled plate Rockler offers for the M12V is too large for the table and I wonder if the a blank that will fit the table will be strong enough to support a permanently mounted M12V. Of course, I could always build a new Router Table a la Norm's Deluxe version :D What say the wisdom of the Creek?

Jim DeLaney
06-28-2003, 5:18 PM
I'm using a 3/8" thick phenolic plate for mine.

Previously, I had a Hitachi TR-12 (fixed speed, no soft start) in the table on a 3/8" acrylic plate (about 11" square) and it sagged just a little bit after about three years.

For a thinner (1/4" ?) plate, I'd probably only use aluminum - not any plastic.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-28-2003, 6:09 PM
I've got two M12Vs in tables, both with the Rosseau insert. The cutting area is raised just a teensy bit to compensate for possible sag, and that bothers some folks. Not me. Doesn't sag anyway.

KC

Bob Oswin
06-28-2003, 6:22 PM
What are you using as a mounting plate? I have a Rockler table with a Bosch 1617 combo presently in it. I also just acquired a Hitachi M12V that I want to give a permanent home in that table. The only pre-drilled plate Rockler offers for the M12V is too large for the table and I wonder if the a blank that will fit the table will be strong enough to support a permanently mounted M12V. Of course, I could always build a new Router Table a la Norm's Deluxe version :D What say the wisdom of the Creek?
Dan: I mounted it on the Lee Valley steel table top and then mounted the top in my cabinet.
The whole table raises at the front for bit changes.
The Lee Valley quick disconnect allows me to pull the router in a few seconds when I need it outside the table.
The fence grabs the steel table and lifts up at the same time as the table.

George Summers
06-28-2003, 8:04 PM
Like KC, I have my M12V mounted in a Rosseau plate and have no problems. I did have to drill the plate to fit the M12V, but that is no biggie.

George

Todd Burch
06-28-2003, 8:54 PM
My M12V is mounted in a CMT Industrio Router Table. 3/4" Phenolic that I had to drill. It comes with a centering pin (the size of a small shotput) to assist in getting it perfect. It's wonderfull to have it mounted in a good table. The cabinet leaves a little to be considered... but the top is wonderful - and I think you can buy just the top too.

Todd.

Scott Coffelt
06-29-2003, 12:06 PM
I first had it mounted in a Rosseau plate and I noticed it sagged a little in the middle. I have since mounted it in the WoodPecker Plunge Lift. I like it much better, though it cost several more $$'s.

They also have a blank plate if you don't want the full functionality of the top adjustment.

JayStPeter
06-29-2003, 4:19 PM
I have mine in a Woodpeck plungelift also. It's great. Worth the $ IMO.
I'm one of the Rousseau detractors BTW. I built a new top to get rid of it and replaced it with a Woodpeck Al insert for my 1617. The plungelift fits right in the same hole (as do all the woodpeck insert/lifts). They have little spring loaded ball bearings built into the edges to take up the slack if you rout your insert cutout a little too big. Work great. Looks a little bigger than your rockler plate, so you may be able to salvage the table.
<Warning, slight rant> I find the fact that Woodpeck makes all their inserts the same size to be one of their greatest features. When I decided the Rousseau insert wasn't acceptable for doing joinery with my incra jig, there were no larger plates on the market. So, I was stuck making a new table. Rockler now makes an oversize plate that will replace a Rousseau. But, then you'll be stuck if you ever decide to go with a lift of some form. <rant over>

John Christiansen
06-29-2003, 5:59 PM

Am I reading this right? Rockler is finally offering a predrilled plate for the M12V. But it doesn't fit their own table top?

At any rate. I am using the Rousseau plate in my homemade table and it seems to be fine. I just don't like the way you have to pry the rings out and pound them back in with a leather hammer or such. Somethings going to break someday.

Dan McLaughlin
06-29-2003, 6:19 PM
Am I reading this right? Rockler is finally offering a predrilled plate for the M12V. But it doesn't fit their own table top?

At any rate. I am using the Rousseau plate in my homemade table and it seems to be fine. I just don't like the way you have to pry the rings out and pound them back in with a leather hammer or such. Somethings going to break someday.

Yes

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Offerings_ID=10270&ObjectGroup_ID=432&CATID=80

But it is 9 x 13 rather that 8 x 11. Norm, oh Norm- I think it is time to build my own router table and give the Rockler to my son-in-law. But if he thinks he getting my Bosch 1617 combo :p Thanks for all of the responses. Since I going to build my own, I'm not wedded to Rockler's large plate. Need to take a look at the options.

Doug Cowan
06-30-2003, 12:48 PM
I have an M12V mounted in a modified Norm's table using a plate from Mule Cabinetmaker. The plate is only 8" x 8", the theory being less sag with heavier routers with the smaller plate. It is a little tight getting it in and out, and you have to remove the handles, but it is flat and works fine. The price was fairly reasonable, about $35. I should also note that it is not predrilled, which adds a little challenge.

http://www.mulecab.com/index.asp

Bob Nazro
06-30-2003, 1:35 PM
Dan,
I purchased the blank plate from Rockler when I set up my first router table and had a machine shop locate and drill the holes for the M12-V. I now use the rousseau inserts for my 2 tables. Your welcome to the old insert plate. Just let me know. I changed plates because the Rockler hole wasn't big enough for my door bits. I also installed the router raizer. I highly recommend this with the M12-V.

Dan McLaughlin
06-30-2003, 9:17 PM
Dan,
I purchased the blank plate from Rockler when I set up my first router table and had a machine shop locate and drill the holes for the M12-V. I now use the rousseau inserts for my 2 tables. Your welcome to the old insert plate. Just let me know. I changed plates because the Rockler hole wasn't big enough for my door bits. I also installed the router raizer. I highly recommend this with the M12-V.

Bob:

See my PM