PDA

View Full Version : Sell it, restore it, or cannibalize it?

Zach Dickason
05-11-2018, 6:34 PM
I picked up an old Craftsman table saw (103.20001). No extension wings and a different motor (Dayton 3/4hp). I had thoughts of restoring the whole thing including buying wings for it and then trying to sell it. I have a ton of projects though so I thought maybe I should just sell it as is. Then I got to thinking that the base would make a cool base for a buffing/grinding station. I’d use the motor and switch and mount a mandrel to the base. What do you think?

Mike Cutler
05-11-2018, 6:41 PM
I've seen a lot of those Craftsman table saws on Craigslist. Nothing really special about them. That base though is a different story. I like it!
Cannibalize it for what you need. Someone has already modified it.

Zach Dickason
05-11-2018, 6:43 PM
Sorry for the pictures, don’t know what’s going on there.

Carroll Courtney
05-11-2018, 7:26 PM
I don't own any new machines all from the 70's are later.So I say find the wings and restore it.Not only will it cut wood with a good blade but you will also have something that has some style

Zach Dickason
05-11-2018, 7:34 PM
I agree these saws are very cool but I already have a nice table saw and I don’t really have use for another. I do have use for money though.

Matt Day
05-11-2018, 7:46 PM
There are a number of C’man afficionados on OWWM, might think of posting the whole thing for sale there or parting it out.

johnny means
05-11-2018, 11:17 PM
I really like the aesthetics of these old machines. I'd lacquer the top make it a vanity or hall table.

mark kosse
05-12-2018, 7:05 AM
Although not rare, that base isn't seen all that often. I knew a custom furniture maker whose only ts was that same saw. I have one in my shop also. You wouldn't think it but it's not tippy at all.

You'll never make money restoring it. I vote to move it on to someone who will make it a centerpiece in their Craftsman shop.

Marshall Harrison
05-12-2018, 7:58 AM
I got a crick in my neck looking at those pictures.

I had to stand on my head to view the last one. Fell over and hurt my back and now I can't work in the shop today. I guess I'll have to spend my day hanging out on SMC.

Nick Decker
05-12-2018, 8:01 AM
As the photos clearly show, that thing tips over way to easily. :)

Mike Cutler
05-12-2018, 8:22 AM
I got a crick in my neck looking at those pictures.

I had to stand on my head to view the last one. Fell over and hurt my back and now I can't work in the shop today. I guess I'll have to spend my day hanging out on SMC.

Marshall
Consider it "yoga" exercises.:D

Marshall Harrison
05-12-2018, 8:25 AM
Marshall
Consider it "yoga" exercises.:D

If you aren't wearing a pair of those skin tight yoga pants it doesn't count as exercise.

I'm a blue jeans man but I do like the look of those pants on members of the opposite sex.

Jeff Heath
05-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Those vintage Craftsman saws are good saws, but they are a dime a dozen. Restoring it for personal use is a good idea, as it will make a dandy saw, especially as a portable jobsite saw. I have the Delta version, an 8" saw, that I restored. It's a better saw, with a 1 hp motor on it, than any $500 or $600 crapola plastic saw from one of the big box stores. I've got about $125 invested in the restoration, including blade, but I seriously doubt anybody would pay more than that for it. Restoring it to make money is a losing proposition. Restoring it for personal use as a surprising really good saw, when finished, is a winner.

johnny means
05-12-2018, 12:11 PM
If you aren't wearing a pair of those skin tight yoga pants it doesn't count as exercise.

I'm a blue jeans man but I do like the look of those pants on members of the opposite sex.

I was a doubter. But some of the younger guys got me to try a pair of those stretchy jeans. They are the truth. Changed my life, its so much easier to move in them. Who knew so much of my effort everyday was spent fighting stiff denim.