PDA

View Full Version : Turning Norfork Island Pine

Bruce Lundgren
05-11-2018, 3:55 PM
I have a dried Norfork Island Pine bowl blank. I tried unsuccessfully searching this forum to find out how to orient the blank to accentuate the "eyes"/branch spots. I believe that I heard that if not oriented properly I'll lose the distinctive accent color where the branches were
Also does the coloring fade significantly over time and if so what finish would be suggested to try to retain the color?

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce

Kyle Iwamoto
05-11-2018, 4:21 PM
Center the blank on the pith. Both ends. You should get the knots even that way. Unless you have Cook Island Pine where the knows will be in a whorl or spiral up the side of the blank.

Barry McFadden
05-11-2018, 10:07 PM
As Kyle said..mount it Pith to pith so you are turning an end grain bowl and the eyes are all where they are supposed to be... here's one I did a while ago...the color hasen't changed at all and it has about 5-6 coats of WOP...

385751 385752

Jon Kurtz
05-12-2018, 7:51 AM
I have a dried Norfork Island Pine bowl blank. I tried unsuccessfully searching this forum to find out how to orient the blank to accentuate the "eyes"/branch spots. I believe that I heard that if not oriented properly I'll lose the distinctive accent color where the branches were
Also does the coloring fade significantly over time and if so what finish would be suggested to try to retain the color?

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce

On this one, I finished it with boiled linseed oil and was very pleased with the result. It is end grain.

Jim Colombo
05-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Sorry about the picture orientation. Centered on the pith. No color loss after 8 years. finished with woo.

Jim

Barry McFadden
05-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Sorry about the picture orientation. Centered on the pith. No color loss after 8 years. finished with woo.

Jim

Nice looking bowl... is woo the kind of finish that makes people go "WOO" when they see it??:)

Larry Frank
05-12-2018, 7:17 PM
I do not do much turning but really like the Norfolk island pine bowls.

Great knots!!

Bruce Lundgren
05-13-2018, 9:51 AM
Beautiful bowls! Thanks guys for the suggestions. I hope I'm as successful as you all were in turning them.

Bruce