PDA

View Full Version : Help wiring a 1 HP Rockwell/Baldor motor to my restored Rockwell 14" Bandsaw.

Christopher Dawson
05-11-2018, 2:45 PM
Very new to this so needing some help...
I got this 1HP Rockwell/Baldor motor for my bandsaw which doesn't have a ground wire and 6 wires coming out
Photos posted below.

I purchased a paddle switch off of amazon and I bought some 14G wire to go from the motor to the switch and a 14G replacement plug to come from the switch to the wall.

The wires coming out of the motor are confusing me because there isn't the standard white, black and green?
Idk how to tell what is hot and what is neutral? Or since its a dual voltage does that not matter and they are both hot?

How do I add a ground wire if there is no ground coming out of the motor? Is the motor casing grounded already?

Thanks!

Wires coming out of the motor and no green ground wire:

Wiring diagram:

Bill Dufour
05-11-2018, 3:05 PM
What voltage do you want to run 120 or 240?

Ground is normally just a green wire attached under a screw inside the connection box on the motor. There is no ground wire from the factory. Good practice to also ground the machine frame to eliminate static sparks.
\Bill D

Steve Demuth
05-11-2018, 3:47 PM
The motor plate is telling you most of what you need to know.

If you're wiring for 110V you connect the wires into two groups as described on the left hand side of the plate. The group labeled L1 is connected to the hot (black) wire from the switch. The L2 group is connected to the neutral (white). You'll have to wire the case ground (green wire) to the actual metal casing. There is likely a screw in the wire housing of the motor for this, but maybe not.

If you're wiring for 240, use the connections on the right hand side of the plate. There are three groups in that case, with the middle group just being wired together (no line connection) with a wire nut, and the L1 and L2 connected to the two line feeds from a DPDT switch.

Bob Vaughan
05-11-2018, 4:48 PM
The modern equivalent of that motor would be a Baldor L3510, a good quality motor. The six wires are pretty standard for an industrial quality motor. It allows reversing easily (interchange 5 and 8) or lets the user wire up to a reversing switch and other connections that may be needed depending on the application.

Christopher Dawson
05-11-2018, 7:20 PM
It's set up for 120. There is no "green" wire or screw inside the box. There were two screws to attached the junction box to the motor and that is it... There is another screw hole but there was no screw. Do i just add a green screw and green wire in that empty spot and then run the green wire to the base of the saw?

Christopher Dawson
05-11-2018, 7:34 PM
Awesome. Now were getting somewhere. I'm completely new to this so this helps a lotttt.

I'm wiring for 110 and they are separated into L1 and L2. A couple more questions...

1. There is no "case ground" or green wire anywhere? No screw in the housing either... The photo above is with the housing removed and there was only the 2 screws that hold the housing in place and no green screw to be found. There is a 3rd empty screw hole so maybe that is for the ground? But even so, if there is no green wire then how to I ground it?

2. Once I run the the hot and neutral to the switch do i marette the neutrals from the motor and the plug together or do I put them under the switch? Another forum said to never have the neutrals under switch but in some instructions i found online for the switch the guy ended up connecting the hot and the neutral at the switch. Below is a photo he posted for how to wire it at the switch. Which do i do?

Steve Demuth
05-11-2018, 9:41 PM
Awesome. Now were getting somewhere. I'm completely new to this so this helps a lotttt.

I'm wiring for 110 and they are separated into L1 and L2. A couple more questions...

1. There is no "case ground" or green wire anywhere? No screw in the housing either... The photo above is with the housing removed and there was only the 2 screws that hold the housing in place and no green screw to be found. There is a 3rd empty screw hole so maybe that is for the ground? But even so, if there is no green wire then how to I ground it?

2. Once I run the the hot and neutral to the switch do i marette the neutrals from the motor and the plug together or do I put them under the switch? Another forum said to never have the neutrals under switch but in some instructions i found online for the switch the guy ended up connecting the hot and the neutral at the switch. Below is a photo he posted for how to wire it at the switch. Which do i do?

You want the case ground to run continuously from the wall plug to the motor frame. It doesn't matter exactly how you accomplish that, but typically the green wire from the power cord would be bonded within the switch housing (often with a screw to the switch frame itself) to another green wire that runs from there to the wire enclosure on the motor. It would be terminated there with a screw into the wire enclosure or on the motor case itself. If you don't have such a screw, if the wire enclosure is sheet metal, you can easily drill a hole, get a machine screw and attach that way. But usually there is a terminal. A picture inside the wire enclosure would help.

As for neutral and hot in the switch - depends on the switch type. If the machine was only designed for 110, you may have a single pole single throw switch. In that case, the neutral (white) runs straight through the switch just like the green one, and the hot (black) is attached to the switch terminals. That way there is no power at the motor when the switch is off. Or you may have a double pole switch, with four terminals so that both the hot and neutral are interrupted at the switch. A picture of the inside of your actual switch would help. If that is one in you last post, then the guy who decorated with the green, white and black lines did it right for you.

Alex Zeller
05-12-2018, 1:27 AM
Often motors will not have a green anything in them. There should be a screw that has the paint removed around it so a terminal can make good contact to the metal frame of the motor for a ground. Newer motors might have a sticker with a ground symbol next to it but not always. If you can post a picture of the inside of the wire box on the motor it would help.