PDA

View Full Version : Rustoholic's Anonymous?

Jim Koepke
05-11-2018, 2:01 PM
An email came yesterday from Falcon-Wood (oldtools.com) with a listing of new additions to the tools for sale. One was a Stanley #60-1/2 block plane at $38. This is an older style with the longer bed for the blade at the mouth.

This morning while talking to the wife about how there is a need for people like me for a Rustoholic's Anonymous and mentioning the plane that isn't needed she said, "go ahead and get it if you want it."

So a call to Falcon-Wood let me know it already sold this morning.

The price wasn't only good, one thing that isn't clear on the web site is the prices include shipping. After a bit of conversation it became clear the "shipping included in the price" information listed on the page would likely get a lot of buyers to pull the trigger.

Dang, if only my passion for rust was a bit stronger yesterday.

jtk

John C Cox
05-11-2018, 2:54 PM
I can't tell you how many time I have sworn off old tools only to have "Just one more" follow me home..

As an aside - I think I may have somehow finally ended up with a good "Cast steel" chisel... It followed me home yesterday... And that's not helping my resolve...

Stew Denton
05-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Hi Jim,

My name is Stew, I have too many old handsaws. (Chisels, planes?) Fortunately I don't get too many chances to look at rust out in the dry Texas panhandle.

When I do, I can sometimes walk past them, but they call out to me and sometimes I walk back.......just to look at them you know......sigh.

Stew

steven c newman
05-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Yeah...riiiight....
$1.25 today.....slow day out there..;).

When you drive by a place, and can SMELL the rust from the street....the you have it bad....:rolleyes:

don wilwol
05-12-2018, 8:35 AM
Up until a few years ago I was a social smoker. I'd have a cigarette if i happened to be having a morning coffee break or an evening cocktail (often more than 1) with a friend who smoked. I could go for a year in between cigarettes, and after a while, as i got old enough to know better, I just lost all taste for them. I didn't quit, I didn't stop, I just never had another one. I have two real passions, old tools and bourbon. Every once in a while i get a hankering to cut back. To cut back on the bourbon I just tell the wife to not pick any up when she's out and about. No problem. But old tools!!! You can get your iron supplement from frying your eggs in a cast iron pan, so is there an attraction to the rust and metal? They say the psychological aspect of having an addiction is actually about the habitual nature of it. However, the physical part of it is due to the presence of something that causes a physical dependency. Did these old tool manufactures add an ingredient to the cast to cause it to become addicting. I think so. I think some research is in order! I'll have to find some old rusty tools to find out !!

John C Cox
05-12-2018, 3:09 PM
I swear - you guys.... I need to take up a less expensive hobby like golf or boats.... ;)

I swore off old tools and now I am back off the wagon...
3 chisels in 2 days. All stamped cast steel with forged octagon bolsters.
Robt Sorby 2"
Moulson Brothers 1 1/2"
Buck Brothers 1/2" (just a 2" nub left. It got thrown in...)

I cleaned up the back and sharpened up the Moulson - so far so good...
That sorby is a beast. Not sure why I brought that one home - as I don't really use 2" chisels... Even the 1 1/2" Moulson is pushing it...

lowell holmes
05-12-2018, 11:23 PM
I have about 15 Disston hand saws, tall about rust. The are clean, de-rusted, and waxed (Johnson Wax).
Some have new curly maple handles. I also collect old saw nuts.

James Waldron
05-13-2018, 11:47 AM
I have about 15 Disston hand saws, tall about rust. The are clean, de-rusted, and waxed (Johnson Wax).
Some have new curly maple handles. I also collect old saw nuts.

There are several old saw nuts who post around here. Happy hunting!