PDA

View Full Version : Router table amd storage cabinet

Donnie Raines
11-17-2005, 7:14 PM
Well...I'm happy to say that I am officially back in the shop. It has come together nicely. Below is a router table I recently completed. It is made of rift sawn curly sassafras. The top was built useing some baltic birch ply laminated with melamine. The fence was made extra tall(almost 6 inchs) to accomdate certain jigs I will use for cutting various joints(slideing dovetails and the like). The unit stands about the height of a table saw and is 29 inchs deep by 35 inchs in lenght.

The storage cabinet is also made of rift sawn curly sassfras with a curly cherry door panel. The dovetails were cut by hand....and I decided to go with two large tails to minmize my work:rolleyes: . All of the doors were assembled useing stub tenons and pegged. I finished both projects with natural danish oil. Thanks for looking.

Donnie Raines
11-17-2005, 7:22 PM
Cabinet pictures:

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2005, 8:07 PM
Donnie that is beautiful work. I like the router cabinet. Would like to make one like that only for a bench top.

Corey Hallagan
11-17-2005, 8:39 PM
Wow, nice work Donnie. Both are great. That router table looks excellent!

Corey

Bob Noles
11-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Donnie,

Nice work on both projects. I really like the simplicity in the design. The finish turned out really well. You are going to get a lot of really good use in return for your efforts.

Great Job!

lou sansone
11-18-2005, 7:17 AM
excellent work.. wow... how long did it take to make those cabinets ? did you design them from scratch or plans..Sasafrass is an interesting wood. it never seems to rot. we have a bunch of it on my brothers property where we have out saw mill. I keep meaning to saw some up. What was the finish on the wood?

thanks
lou

Donnie Raines
11-18-2005, 8:58 AM
excellent work.. wow... how long did it take to make those cabinets ? did you design them from scratch or plans..Sasafrass is an interesting wood. it never seems to rot. we have a bunch of it on my brothers property where we have out saw mill. I keep meaning to saw some up. What was the finish on the wood?

thanks
lou

Thanks for the comments guys.

The design for the router table is 'original' to me:cool: . The cabinet came from the latest issue of Fine Woodworking(though they used cherry and set the inside of the cabinet up diffrently.

I used a natural danish oil(about 3 coats) for the finish.

Travis Porter
11-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Where did you get the start/stop switch? Looking for one of those myself.

Donnie Raines
11-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Where did you get the start/stop switch? Looking for one of those myself.
I bought that at Rockler. HOWEVER, from the factory the chord hangs from the outside...kind of unsightly if you ask me. So I took the switch apart bored two holes on the back side of the switch(and through the cabinet) and ran the wires through the holes. That way nothing is hanging out.

Jason Tuinstra
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Donnie, the projects look great. The wall cabinet looks especially nice - the dovetails add a nice touch.

Dan Forman
11-18-2005, 3:29 PM
Donnie---Really nice looking cabinets. Never heard of using sasifrass for woodworking, but it sure looks good.

Dan