PDA

View Full Version : Just fiddle-pharting around, in the shop

steven c newman
05-09-2018, 9:23 PM
Got back from the Ancestor's place, have a bunch of forms to fill out...."First Families and Pioneers of Logan County Ohio...."so...bored looking at old records, went to the shop to "putter" around:rolleyes:

Involved a bandsaw for starters...
Had a large circle.....all marked up for square holes...Needed to drill a few holes..
Close to 3/4".....then the chisels took over..
Reason for the clamps? one side had split off....cleaned the breaks up, squared the holes, and glued it back together.
Some of the chisels were hammer powered, some were powered by my chin...
Just playing around.....trouble with Trivets?

Maybe tomorrow, I can finish this thing up...more of a prototype...better spacings, better wood?
Stay tuned..

Stew Denton
05-09-2018, 9:39 PM
Cool Steven,

Looks like an industrial strength trivet! It will make a very nice trivet when you are finished!

Stew

steven c newman
05-10-2018, 1:27 PM
Went to the shop, today. "Plan" WAS to just go and pick up the utility knife I needed to replace a window screen with....finally remembered it, after a bit of chisel work...
Left the one hole round, for a peg to hang this on. Not sure what type of finish is used on a Trivet...
Brace needed some clean up work...to get everything moving the way it was designed to move..
Gear shifter was stuck....works fine, now. Not sure who made this "Made in USA" brace, seems to be a good one...
That is a MINTY Craftsman #13 (13/16") bit....sharp as all get out, like it was brand new....
While trying to sweep up the mess (again..) had a Bumble Bee try to use what little hair I have on my head, as a nest....didn't end well for the Bee. At least I didn't get stung.

Need to find out what finish is used on Trivets, while I finish sanding this one up...

lowell holmes
05-10-2018, 2:53 PM
I had forgotten, band saws are hand tools. :)

Just kidding

Joe Tilson
05-10-2018, 3:53 PM
That brace looks like it could be a Stanley 900 series or one sold by Monty Ward made by Lakeside Tool Co. That's a just what it looks like to me.???

Stew Denton
05-10-2018, 8:25 PM
Steven,

I would consider BLO. I don't think you want a finish that stays on the surface of the trivet, as a hot item placed on a finish like polyurethane or spar or something similar will stick to it.

Stew

steven c newman
05-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Will be giving it a coat or two of Mineral Oil.....cutting board finish.

Stew Denton
05-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Steven,

That is another oil that will soak into the wood, and will not stay on the surface. I think that is a perfect choice.

Stew

steven c newman
05-11-2018, 11:41 PM
I should have stayed IN the shop and did the "puttering" there...went to repair a window screen, with a new "pet-proof" mesh...got the mesh cut roughly to size..
Had a new blade in the utility knife...
New spline came in a plastic bag,,,,used the knife to slice open the bag......
Results were that the spline dropped out of the bag...and all H broke loose....by the time I got 8 of them bandaids wrapped around the sliced off tip of my finger, I still needed that black plastic tape to wrap it tight enough the blood would finally stop...
Got to cussing.....finally just went ahead and finished the screen install.....and placed the screen back into it's window.....after a few hours, the finger was still hurting pretty bad..no van to go to the ER, so, I just walked the 5 blocks to the ER. It took them 2 tubes of their "super glue" to close things off...
Hmmm, do not know when that wire was installed in the finger....finger is a tad shorter than it should be....too.
Got the meds and the paperwork, and walked back home....was a LONG, tiresome day...and it wasn't even a Monday!

While out and about today, finger sprung a small leak....got that stoppered, and wrapped things up, again.....other than a throb, throb, throb....not too bad..now.

That will teach me to not get in a big hurry....