PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever?

Mark Blatter
05-09-2018, 4:29 PM
I had a colonoscopy today and due to my fifth grandchild being born on Friday in Montana, all of my rides home were out of pocket. My son had one done a month or so ago and he did his without anesthesia, so I thought 'Well, that works as it saves me from needing a ride home'.

Have you ever done that? In short, had a tub stuck where tubs aren't supposed to go?

In case you have not, and might consider it, my suggestion is don't. The cops said they could hear the high pitched girlie screaming from two blocks away. Once it was done, it was great. Was on site for less than an hour, nothing to wake up from, grabbed lunch right afterwards and am back getting stuff done. At the same time those 25 minutes laying on a bed were, well, uncomfortable to put it mildly.

I am curious if others have gone without the pain meds.

Wade Lippman
05-09-2018, 4:49 PM
My doctor refuses to do them without anesthesia. He says that anytime he did, they had to stop and do the anesthesia, and that is just too time consuming.

Jerry Bruette
05-09-2018, 5:10 PM
Both of the ones I've had were done with anesthesia. Didn't mind coming home and taking a nice long nap afterward. Now if I could only figure a way to go through the prep while being knocked out.

daryl moses
05-09-2018, 8:23 PM
I have one done every three years. [polyps] I couldn't imagine being awake for it. Propofol is my friend.:)
Now if they could just come up with an easier prep the day before it would be great!!! Moviprep is not my friend!!!

Mark Blatter
05-09-2018, 8:49 PM
I have one done every three years. [polyps] I couldn't imagine being awake for it. Propofol is my friend.:)
Now if they could just come up with an easier prep the day before it would be great!!! Moviprep is not my friend!!!

Yes, the prep is pretty bad. As I was drinking the 10th 8 oz glass in about two hours, I was reminded of the scene in Harry Potter where Dumbledore is drinking out of the basin to get one of the hoarcruxes. He is begging not to half to drink any more. That is how I was feeling as I downed more of the great stuff.

For me this was my third. So much fun to be had by all.

Phil Mueller
05-09-2018, 9:07 PM
As we all know, part of the procedure is to remove polyps or do a biopsy...requiring a rather sharp instrument. I would think they prefer anesthesia to reduce the risk of a patient making a sudden movement while using said sharp instruments.

Bruce Wrenn
05-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Last one, I was awake, but numbed. Got to watch it on the big screen. Main thing is the air they use to inflate bowels. It's in short supply, so you can't leave until you give it back. A friend several years back had his first. When he woke up, recovery nurse was laughing. He asked her what was so funny? She said, while still asleep, he passed the gas and said "Man that sure felt good!" I get tickled at the little ole ladies who come in dressed like they are going to a party. They need to remember that no one leaves till they play the tuba!

Mark Blatter
05-10-2018, 8:53 AM
As we all know, part of the procedure is to remove polyps or do a biopsy...requiring a rather sharp instrument. I would think they prefer anesthesia to reduce the risk of a patient making a sudden movement while using said sharp instruments.

Actually the removal of small polyps is painless. Big ones can be pretty painful. I had a really big one removed the time and it woke me up through the anesthesia.

lowell holmes
05-10-2018, 9:36 AM
I had one a long time ago. I don't remember much about it. I do know I was asleep when it happened.
Aren't they pretty routine these days.

Bob Turkovich
05-10-2018, 9:47 AM
Uh-oh! A colonoscopy post...

Unfortunately, I have to go through the process every 5 years due to family history + a polyp found 25 years ago. I would never consider being awake.

As most people have stated, once you agree to have the anesthesia, the prep becomes the worst part. My last test (3 1/2 years ago) was the worst - up all night with severe leg cramps from dehydrating. Showed up for my 6:30AM appointment - clinic had no record. In fact, my doctor wasn't even scheduled at that clinic for the day. The clinic told me to go home and reschedule for another day. :eek: (Note: I had the paperwork from my doctor showing I had the correct time, date and location.)

I was able to reach the doctor who was performing colonoscopies at a different clinic about 10 minutes away. (They also did not have me on the schedule - the doctor's staff had screwed up.) He was able to get me into that morning's schedule but I had a 2 hour wait as the new clinic cleared my insurance. Fun times!

There's a new prep coming out this fall (approved by FDA) which is supposed to make the prep process more tolerable. Google "Plenvu".

David Helm
05-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Had my last one in February. NO polyps so my doc said at 75 I shouldn't need to worry about it. As regards anesthesia; Versed is my friend.

Mark Blatter
05-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Uh-oh! A colonoscopy post...

Unfortunately, I have to go through the process every 5 years due to family history + a polyp found 25 years ago. I would never consider being awake.

As most people have stated, once you agree to have the anesthesia, the prep becomes the worst part. My last test (3 1/2 years ago) was the worst - up all night with severe leg cramps from dehydrating. Showed up for my 6:30AM appointment - clinic had no record. In fact, my doctor wasn't even scheduled at that clinic for the day. The clinic told me to go home and reschedule for another day. :eek: (Note: I had the paperwork from my doctor showing I had the correct time, date and location.)

I was able to reach the doctor who was performing colonoscopies at a different clinic about 10 minutes away. (They also did not have me on the schedule - the doctor's staff had screwed up.) He was able to get me into that morning's schedule but I had a 2 hour wait as the new clinic cleared my insurance. Fun times!

There's a new prep coming out this fall (approved by FDA) which is supposed to make the prep process more tolerable. Google "Plenvu".

That would be just a bit frustrating. Do the prep, then have to chase down the doc.

I was given a new prep that seemed much easier, but it was $130 and not a penny covered by insurance. I said no thanks and got the old standard, Gavilyte.

Ronald Blue
05-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Seems like some Dr's are stuck in the past. Dulcolax to begin things and then Mira-lax and Gatorade to conclude things. By the end of the Gatorade Cocktail it looked like it could have came right out the bottle. Cheap and effective.

Wade Lippman
05-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Seems like some Dr's are stuck in the past. Dulcolax to begin things and then Mira-lax and Gatorade to conclude things. By the end of the Gatorade Cocktail it looked like it could have came right out the bottle.

That's what got me... half way through the prep it was crystal clear. Sure seems like it could have been cut back significantly.
But I guess that if 5% need the whole course, then everyone gets it.

Mel Fulks
05-11-2018, 11:34 AM
It's a great life saving procedure. Such an advance over the short metal lighted tube things of not so long ago. Takes a lot of skill. I think a good way to make people aware of all that would be a video game.....one wrong turn and the screen would flash : Perforated Bowel! game Over!!