PDA

View Full Version : Step ladder

Mac McQuinn
05-09-2018, 3:01 PM
I'm looking to replace a 6' step ladder I've owned for 41 years. It's a Keller, made in the USA.
Unfortunately all ladders I'm looking at are now made in Mexico. Are there any ladders still made in the USA?
I need either a 6' or 7' ladder, 250lbs limit, I believe this is a Type 1A.
While my old ladder is aluminum, I'm open to this or fiberglass. I understand the fiberglass is non-conductive
although the steps, reinforcements, hinges, etc are still metal so I'm open on this. The aluminum seems
a little lighter size for size and as you get older, this seems like a good feature.
Any suggestions?

Mac

Jerome Stanek
05-09-2018, 3:39 PM
I have a little Giant ladder that I really like I have all kinds of other ladders but that is the first one I go for. Gave away 3 6 footers and an 8 footer after I quit doing installs and still have a couple of 6 footers and 8 footers along with a 14 footer and a couple of extension ladders. Wish I had the little giant back then

Jim Becker
05-09-2018, 4:11 PM
Mac, I'm about to do similar because the old, wooden step ladder I have is starting to really degrade to the point that safety may become a consideration. Like Jerome mentions, I'm considering replacing it with one of the smaller "Little Giant" type ladders for more flexibility. Costco has a nice one for reasonable money. And since you mention aluminum...yea...weight advantage when handling.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2018, 4:27 PM
Ladders selections are always an interesting compromise. Professionally, we had to get rid of our aluminum step ladders because they are conductive and purchasing a heavier, more expensive, fiberglass ladder. I brought my former corporate owned ladder 6' aluminum step ladder home to use. I have a larger/longer Little Giant ladder and enjoy it.

Mac McQuinn
05-09-2018, 4:36 PM
I actually have one of the multi folders also(Werner I believe) and while it's useful, it's heavier than a step ladder, takes a bit of time to unfold and lock the mechanisms and the same to break it down. It is 12' and consist of (4) 3' sections. Even though it's aluminum, it's pretty heavy to carry around as the locking mechanisms are steel. I use a step ladder a lot, eaves troughs, bird feeders, squirrel feeders, access to roof, washing windows, washing siding, etc. Light, quick to access, sturdy are important and made in USA would be a bonus. I've been using the folder to get on the roof lately due to the step ladder's age and it's getting wobbly(or is that me). I think a 7' Step might be the best option. Easier to get on roof, a bit more sturdy and still parks in the same spot in the garage. Weight is about 2lbs more.
Mac

John Lanciani
05-09-2018, 5:28 PM
Look here; https://louisvilleladder.com (https://louisvilleladder.com/?SID=40grkq5bt3akm77d6kve74vjk0)

Jim Becker
05-09-2018, 8:16 PM
Mac, there are smaller, more nimble versions of the adjustable-folding type. But whatever you choose should be comfortable for the tasks you intend to use it for!

Mac McQuinn
05-09-2018, 9:43 PM
Jim,
Smaller than (4) 3' foot sections?
I was at Menards tonight and they have a Keller 7' FG step ladder that might be just the item. An extra foot would allow me a bit more height for getting up on the roof easier and perhaps more stable as it measured a bit wider than a 6' ladder at the base. Couple extra pounds which shouldn't be a issue and fits in my dedicated ladder space in the garage. Next time they do a 11% rebate, I'll run over and pick one up.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mac

Mac, there are smaller, more nimble versions of the adjustable-folding type. But whatever you choose should be comfortable for the tasks you intend to use it for!

Bill Dufour
05-09-2018, 10:35 PM
San Francisco fire department still makes their own wooden ladders. why not you?
maybe the $100 a foot cost and the need for six men to raise the big ladders.
Go with aluminum. as long as it has clean dry plastic feet, and you wear shoes or boots, it is safe electrically.
Bil lD.

http://sf-fire.org/wooden-ladders

Jim Becker
05-10-2018, 6:54 PM
Actually, I was thinking of the 3' section version which is an ideal replacement for my 5' wooden step ladder that needs to be retired. I wasn't thinking of it extended to be a straight 12' ladder.

lowell holmes
05-10-2018, 7:21 PM
Well, we are woodworkers, you could make one to suit yourself.
Maybe you could salvage the metal parts off of the old one.

Mac McQuinn
05-10-2018, 8:29 PM
I appreciate the idea although the metal hinges, reinforcements, etc are what's wore out after 41 years of use. It sure doesn't own me anything, it's just getting too wobbly to be safe. I'll recycle it along with a bunch of old plumbing items I need to take.
Mac

Well, we are woodworkers, you could make one to suit yourself.
Maybe you could salvage the metal parts off of the old one.