PDA

View Full Version : drawer glides on bedroom dresser

Brian Runau
05-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Would you use under mount drawer glides on a bedroom dresser or just use the wood on wood method? Thanks.

Brian

Dan Friedrichs
05-09-2018, 3:49 PM
Personal choice. I like them. Some people think it's not very traditional. I recall reading a different thread on this topic where someone said, "While not traditional, if early furniture makers had access to metal drawer slides, they would have used them". Lots of commercially-available furniture uses them.

Cary Falk
05-09-2018, 4:09 PM
I hate wood slides and would only go with them if it is a reproduction.

Mike Hollingsworth
05-09-2018, 4:09 PM
Cabinets is one thing. but I don't think they belong in furniture.
I make stuff for my great great great great grandchildren. They won't be impressed with metal guides.

Philipp Jaindl
05-09-2018, 4:43 PM
Definitely metal slides just more practical and functional, id only go for the wooden method on a period piece, reproduction or drawers that arent opened frequently. I'd recommend BLUM slides.

Jamie Buxton
05-09-2018, 4:55 PM
Ball bearing slides move more easily, don’t wear down, and provide full extension. Those are big benefits.

Andrew Hughes
05-09-2018, 5:03 PM
If it's a dresser for your kids it doesn't matter what you use. Both will be lucky to last 5 years
I favor wood slide because it easier for me to fix.

Brian Runau
05-09-2018, 6:34 PM
thanks for the input. Brian

William Young
05-09-2018, 8:41 PM
Wood slides with the high density plastic tape still has the traditional look and feel, but they work very smoothly. Can't say how long they will last, but the tape is easily replaceable.