PDA

View Full Version : Easthampton Railing (Pics)

Richard Wolf
11-17-2005, 4:47 PM
I have been working on this job on and off for awhile now. I finially completed it today. I didn't design or build the stairs, and present building codes require a continuious hand rail all the way down the stairs. The fact that these stairs are really winders and don't have a landing made for an interesting situation.
I guess I was holding up the painter because he started to stain the rail before I even finished.
I am really glad I am done with this one.
Thanks for looking.

Richard

tod evans
11-17-2005, 4:54 PM
nice job man! looks like a royal pia, i`ll bet you`re glad for both your router and to be off the job. tod

Dan Oliphant
11-17-2005, 5:43 PM
Richard, when you have to go around a corner like the one shown, do you make templates for the bend radious, or is there another method used?
Once again, your work is extremely interesting to see.

Rob Russell
11-17-2005, 6:05 PM
Nice work!

Vaughn McMillan
11-17-2005, 6:12 PM
Man, you don't just run down to Home Depot to pick up a rail like that, huh? Very nice work (as always) Richard. Thanks for the pics.

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
11-17-2005, 6:12 PM
Rich, I'd love to follow you around for a day. I never knew anything about the stair/banister world until you started posting about it. It’s fascinating to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2005, 7:40 PM
Rich, I'd love to follow you around for a day. I never knew anything about the stair/banister world until you started posting about it. It’s fascinating to me.

Rich.....double Bruce's interest for me. I, too, would love to follow you around for a day. I'd probably run off customers with all the mouth-opened gawking I'd do. You do incredible work!

Mark Singer
11-17-2005, 7:43 PM
Richard...Great work as usuall!

John Bailey
11-17-2005, 7:51 PM
Nicely done. Keep posting your pictures, they are very interesting.

John

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2005, 8:03 PM
Beautiful work Richard. Love the pictures.

Paul B. Cresti
11-17-2005, 9:01 PM
Richard,
Must be glad it is over, nice work! Man who was that pain-in-the-rump Architect that came up with those winders ;)

Bill Simmeth
11-17-2005, 9:09 PM
Terrific stuff! Bet the fancy router earned its keep on this one. Oh, and please add my name to the waiting list for the spectator's gallery!

Richard Wolf
11-18-2005, 7:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words, they are always appreciated.

Dan, I did have to build a replica of the turn to bend the rail around. It was still difficult to get things right and it took 3 tries before I got one that was useable.

Of course without the handrail router, a job like this would have been almost impossible and required all hand carving. I still would be there.

Thanks again.

Richard

John Renzetti
11-18-2005, 7:33 AM
Richard, Great job on the stairs. Stair building is an art in itself.
take care,
John

Chris Barton
11-18-2005, 8:02 AM
Great bit of work there Richard! I couldn't even begin to figure that job out...

John Miliunas
11-18-2005, 8:08 AM
I agree with Chris B.; I wouldn't even attempt it! :o You do magnificent work, Richard! Besides lacking the necessary skills, I'm not sure I'd have the patience! Great job!!!:) :cool:

Steve Clardy
11-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Looks very nice Richard!!