PDA

View Full Version : "river" tables

Ronald L Williams
05-08-2018, 12:30 PM
I want to build a coffee table with a "river" down the middle. Should I use "Systems 3" epoxy, West Systems epoxy, or something like "Glasscast" from England? Or, something else?

Thanks,

Ron

Yonak Hawkins
05-08-2018, 5:15 PM
Julie Moriarty has made a beautiful river island (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?264523-Kitchen-Is-Finally-FInished!) using glass.

Ronald L Williams
05-09-2018, 3:34 PM
I want to build a coffee table with a "river" down the middle. Should I use "Systems 3" epoxy, West Systems epoxy, or something like "Glasscast" from England? Or, something else?

Thanks,

RonJulie did a great job with real glass. What I want to do is have a "river" through the middle of the coffee table. The first layer of pour epoxy would have blue mica mixed in with layer 2 having blue dye and the top layer having been made of very pale blue. I have used Systems 3 for the last 15 years with turquoise pieces in Mesquite wood, but I am not sure that Systems 3 is structurally strong enough. One U-tube shows using "Glascast" from England. An woodworker suggested West Epoxy (very smelly and deadly without a mask).

Thomas L Carpenter
05-09-2018, 7:19 PM
I would like to see the result of whatever you decide to do. I have a difficult time (on a small scale) getting the glassy clear final appearance that is completely level with the substrate when using epoxy - for example filling a large knot hole.

Ronald L Williams
05-10-2018, 10:59 AM
385652385654In these two pictures I poured a layer of black epoxy followed by a clear layer with copper shavings followed by a layer of turquoise nuggets and then covered with clear epoxy to the top of the table.

Ron

Scott Verson
05-18-2018, 7:42 AM

My wife showed me a side table generally like this, and I went from there:frame is just thin wall 1" steel tube, painted with 'cast iron' spray paint. Top is 2x8 or 10 (cant remeber) redwood, I chose it because it has a lot more interesting grain than typical builder grade fir 2x material. I knocked off the rounded corners with a chamfer bit. Wife picked the stain, + a few coats of poly, and I think I'm under $50 in material all said and done.

Jamie Buxton
05-18-2018, 9:58 AM

My wife showed me a side table generally like this, and I went from there:frame is just thin wall 1" steel tube, painted with 'cast iron' spray paint. Top is 2x8 or 10 (cant remeber) redwood, I chose it because it has a lot more interesting grain than typical builder grade fir 2x material. I knocked off the rounded corners with a chamfer bit. Wife picked the stain, + a few coats of poly, and I think I'm under $50 in material all said and done.

What's the corner joinery -- welding?