PDA

View Full Version : Planex???

Steve Rozmiarek
05-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Not a woodworking tool, so I'll post this here. Anyone have feedback on Festool's Planex drywall sander? I'm thinking about buying one for the other half of my construction "crew". He's a reletivly careful guy, but I just cringe at spending $1200 plus another vacuum for someone else who I don't 100% trust with tools. I personally do drywall differently than this guy, I don't have to sand as much. However, he turns out beautiful work, and I don't want to mess him up by having him do it a different way. I also wouldn't mind him being faster if a planex or similar would actually do that.

Question, is it worth the $? Is there a cheaper option that works similarly?

Wayne Lomman
05-08-2018, 7:16 AM
Had one available on the last job site. It is heavy to use. Not heavily built, just heavier than hand tools. It also requires learning extra skills to avoid oversanding. I was not impressed. Cheers

Steve Rozmiarek
05-08-2018, 8:44 AM
Thanks Wayne, honestly it looks like something that would slow me down, just curious if anyone else liked it. Glad to hear your feedback.

Doug McKay
05-09-2018, 9:48 AM
It's a copy/takeoff of a Porter Cable 7800, been around for years. Go to Home Depot and rent one cheap, see if that's the route you want to go.