PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet for Shop TV/VCR

Dan McLaughlin
06-28-2003, 3:15 PM
Has anyone put together a dustproof (or reasonably dustproof) cabinet for TV/VCR combo used in the shop? Since my unit does not have any audio output jacks, I'm stuck using the TV speakers and can't use a full plexiglass front. Also - how did you deal with heat buildup vs. keeping the dust out? Thanks

Steve Clardy
06-28-2003, 5:05 PM
ALRIGHT!!!!! But------- if I ever do that like you are, I think I just as well move in a couch to sleep on and finish my shop bathroom so I'll have a place to stay!!!!! Ha.
BTW, if you come up with an idea how to do this, I need something for my computer box. It's in my shop office, not dust proof. Really gets filled up. Steve :D

Dan McLaughlin
06-28-2003, 6:09 PM
ALRIGHT!!!!! But------- if I ever do that like you are, I think I just as well move in a couch to sleep on and finish my shop bathroom so I'll have a place to stay!!!!! Ha.
BTW, if you come up with an idea how to do this, I need something for my computer box. It's in my shop office, not dust proof. Really gets filled up. Steve :D

Steve

It's to watch Norm tapes and NYW that's all . No couch no refrig no room. :) But the shop does have A/C

Jim Becker
06-28-2003, 8:17 PM
The best solution is to mitigate the dust so that you have minimal accumulation. As you understand, electronics need to breath...and heat is the enemy, so boxing it in could be a real challenge to accomodate both your sound needs and ventilation. The latter part is easier as you can put a filter on the intake and use an exhaust fan to keep air moving through a cabinet. But any opening for the sound is going to make that even more challenging. Perhaps you could rig up your own external speaker solution...just be sure to match the impedence of the current speaker(s).

Steve Clardy
06-28-2003, 9:28 PM
Steve

It's to watch Norm tapes and NYW that's all . No couch no refrig no room. :) But the shop does have A/C

One of these days, mine will have A/C. But, with a 40x64, it will take a ?ton unit.
I like to watch ol Norm once in a while, but like today, comes two oclock, and I think, well, its already over, so go back to work.
On the dust for TV, maybe go ahead and put plexi on the front, but down below put you a fold down door with a filter in it. Sound can come on through. Put a fan on rear to pull the air through. As Becker says, heat will kill electronics.
Filter will be right there on front, making it easier to remove to clean.
Steve

Dennis Peacock
06-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Steve,

In your 40x64 shop, you will need at LEAST a 4 ton unit. Rule of thumb is 600 Sq Ft per ton. Window A/C? It takes a Window A/C unit of 12,000BTU to equal a single ton of residential A/C...so you would need a "pair" of 24,000 BTU units.

What I did on my HOUSE back in Alabama, I had a 4 ton unit installed on my house with a FIVE TON Air Handler (larger air handler produces much better air flow and thus....better cooling and moisture control.

Air Flow is one of the KEYS to A/C and Humidity Control in the home or the shop.

OK....now you have my 1¢ worth on this....I am still learning though....

One of these days, mine will have A/C. But, with a 40x64, it will take a ?ton unit.
I like to watch ol Norm once in a while, but like today, comes two oclock, and I think, well, its already over, so go back to work.
On the dust for TV, maybe go ahead and put plexi on the front, but down below put you a fold down door with a filter in it. Sound can come on through. Put a fan on rear to pull the air through. As Becker says, heat will kill electronics.
Filter will be right there on front, making it easier to remove to clean.
Steve

Steve Clardy
06-29-2003, 1:09 PM
Steve,

In your 40x64 shop, you will need at LEAST a 4 ton unit. Rule of thumb is 600 Sq Ft per ton. Window A/C? It takes a Window A/C unit of 12,000BTU to equal a single ton of residential A/C...so you would need a "pair" of 24,000 BTU units.

What I did on my HOUSE back in Alabama, I had a 4 ton unit installed on my house with a FIVE TON Air Handler (larger air handler produces much better air flow and thus....better cooling and moisture control.

Air Flow is one of the KEYS to A/C and Humidity Control in the home or the shop.

OK....now you have my 1¢ worth on this....I am still learning though....
A/C isn't in the works yet, but in the future. Still not quite done with my truss repairs, next is finishing the roof insulation. Then on to a ceiling attached to the trusses, and insulation on top of that. Also have some side wall insulation to finish, 6".
Around here you can pick up used commercial self contained units fairly reseasonable, 3-4 hundred, ready to cool. Was thinking just make a stand outside, cut a hole in wall and just dump the air into one end of shop. No ductwork. Once the insulation is done, it ought to heat and cool better . I assume a bigger tonage would work more better, like a 5-6 ton? Steve

Jim Becker
06-29-2003, 2:22 PM
I assume a bigger tonage would work more better, like a 5-6 ton?

According to the HVAC folks that recently bid on my house, bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to tonnage. Size the unit as appropriate for the space and as Dennis pointed out, make sure that air flow is set up right. I'm "cooling" my 600 sq ft shop right now with a single 8000 BTU window unit, but have several fans running to keep the air moving throughout. By starting it with the internal timer a couple of hours in the morning before I go into my shop, I can keep it at about 76-78º all day long, even if it is 95º outside. I'm really going for humidity control as warm does not bother me, but hot and sticky does!

Bobby Hatfield
06-29-2003, 2:57 PM
Has anyone put together a dustproof (or reasonably dustproof) cabinet for TV/VCR combo used in the shop? Since my unit does not have any audio output jacks, I'm stuck using the TV speakers and can't use a full plexiglass front. Also - how did you deal with heat buildup vs. keeping the dust out? Thanks

Hey Dan, these guys may have it, forced air, from the outside clean air into the cabinet through a duct (a piece of DC hose) with a small fan and plexiglas face on the cabinet would keep the dust out and cool the units.

Bart Leetch
06-29-2003, 8:22 PM
Also when you are looking for a A/C unit purchase one with better base metals. Brass,copper stainless. As little aluminum & pot metal as possible.
You'll have a unit that will last longer.