PDA

View Full Version : No project going on? No problem..

steven c newman
05-06-2018, 9:20 PM
More of the Spring cleaning....Time to reduce the clutter in the shop, and put the toys back in their boxes.
This was getting piled up...decided to clear the top off..and replace all the "junk"..
Looks a bit better? Yard sale find, decided I can fill the drawers with all the little stuff in the shop. Behind the router sits it's plunge base,,,One of the boxes that WAS in the pile..
Planes were returned to their homes. These three, and..
The Stanley 45. All packed up, and ready for the next job..
Had a lot of hardwood scraps...the 1 x1s are now kindling. The wide stuff has been ripped down to about 3" wide...
Maple, Ash, and Oak...Pine may follow later. Might be some box projects in there?
Everything at the ready, all I would need to do is turn around and pick what I need. Even the "new & improved" Plough plane.
This area needed some work...I moved the router table to close where it will go...
Still a lot of work to do...stay tuned...BRB.

steven c newman
05-06-2018, 9:37 PM
Besides all of this clean up work, I also had a saw to sharpen....( that is posted in the "Rehab of a saw" thread)...
Something was keeping the router table from going all the way against the wall.....Cleaned the mess out....wasn't in the mood to be "gentle" about, either ( 3 pound hammer can move mountains..)
Finally got the table into place...just in time to bring another stand down the steps..
And install my "other" mitre box on the stand....I didn't remember how heavy that stand was, when I bought it with the Langdon 75 on it. At least now, the box is set up, and can be moved as needed. Will use it to "break down" long boards from the store. I can still slide the router table back out, and use it as needed. Lots of old scraps of wood,,all going to the firepit...kept some for jigs, 95% went to the trash can.

Cleared out some real estate....
Once the trash can is empty, it can go all the way back there. New area is 3' wide, and 7' deep. Floor has been swept clean....two trash bags of non-burnables hauled out. Resting up before I haul that trash can up the steps.
Found these three hiding under the junk.
Might make a box to fit in this open spot....
Needed a screw in the overhead joists, to hang this saw. Freshly sharpened. 5-1/2 ppi, filed rip. Might be a useful toolbox style saw?
Been a LONG day....might have actually got something done? Maybe someday, it will actually look like a working wood shop....

Osvaldo Cristo
05-07-2018, 7:09 AM
I think clean up is a very satisfying activity... I feel very well after it is done!

All the best!

Bob Glenn
05-07-2018, 9:27 AM
Between projects also, but just couldn't stay out of the shop, so I spent the weekend sharpening plane irons. I know I should do this as a continuing process while I build, however sometimes I just leave sharpening to later when I need the tool next.

If I get bogged down in the shop, sometimes just clearing the bench, sweeping up and putting everything in its place gets me going again.

steven c newman
05-07-2018, 8:51 PM
Finding out that I will need to wire in at least two, maybe three more light bulbs..mainly over the "new" work stations. Main light bulb is behind me, when I stand facing the mitre box stations.....need to be able to actually see what I am cutting, I guess. Extend a bit of romex over to a couple fixtures, add a couple light bulbs....might make a difference in how things get done.

That Craftsman tool chest, that I bought at a yard sale, had about a dozen 1" sanding sleeves.....but nothing to put them on, to use them. Trip to the store today, drought home a 1" drum to install the sleeves onto....about $4.....

Have been told by the Boss that the next Project will be a bed frame.....and MAYBE a headboard, too.....priced lumber for that, today....may go with a "Water Bed" style.....we'll see...

steven c newman
05-08-2018, 4:53 PM
Ok...until I get paid again..will have to wait on that bed frame project..

Now have a light fixture installed over the mitre box stations....I can now see what I am trying to cut!

More junk hauled out. big plastic tub was sitting against the furnace, on top of a plastic 5 gal paint bucket.....Bucket was hauled away. Tub had an old rug on it, rug is now on the shop floor. Tub was 1/2 trash, and 1/2 Legos stuff....tossed the trash, set the tub aside to be "discovered" by the GrandBRATS. Let them decide on which lego to keep....

Lawn needs mowed.....IF I can get the mower to start. Will be it's first start-up of this year. Fresh gas, good spark plug, cables all lubed up...should work?

steven c newman
05-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Pictures?
A "before" shot?
And an "After" shot...
Look a tad bit better?
New light bulb...showing off all the upper saw til..
But, at least now I can see well enough to use the mitre box...
IF I can get past that ugly rug...
A new drum to make use of all those sanding sleeves...
Was about to throw out an old, plastic tool box, felt something rattling around inside....found those screwdrivers.
Even found a few chunks of Walnut...

Been a busy day...