PDA

View Full Version : I Learned Something at the Woodworking Show

Bruce Wrenn
05-05-2018, 9:48 PM
In March, went to the Woodworking Show in Chantilly. Attended a couple of Jim Heavy's free seminars. In the one on making arch top doors, he suggested this. When you open a tube of silicon caulk, no matter what you do, the stuff left in the tube will set up. Instead of trying to save it, on a piece of waxed paper, run out some beads about 1/4" in diameter. When these have set up, using a razor knife, cut them into 1" lengths. Use these lengths instead of space balls when building raised panel doors.

Jim Becker
05-06-2018, 10:22 AM
The dude who does the sharpening presentations is also very, um...sharp... :) (and entertaining)

Don Jarvie
05-06-2018, 5:52 PM
I have done this too. Sometimes I’d the raised plans are a bit too loose I’ll add the dried silicone strips and it’s stops any rattling.

Bruce Wrenn
05-06-2018, 8:36 PM
The dude who does the sharpening presentations is also very, um...sharp... :) (and entertaining)Sat in on one Roland Johnsons seminars on the card scraper also. Free seminars were well worth the price of admission. Only bought one thing at show, a $6.99 dust collection fitting that goes between 4" hose and 4" PVC. Went by Lowes and picked up a fitting so I could make sure it worked. I had bought one before which didn't work.

Jim Becker
05-06-2018, 10:18 PM
I and several others had a great after-presentation discussion with Roland at the Secaucus NJ show. It was quite interesting.

Bruce Wrenn
05-07-2018, 9:47 PM
I and several others had a great after-presentation discussion with Roland at the Secaucus NJ show. It was quite interesting.The free seminars are the main reason I go to the show. At my age, I'm starting to get rid of things in shop so our kids don't have to, so I'm not buying much. Plus I can use the money from sale of shop items to help pay doctor bills, which come with age.

Jim Becker
05-08-2018, 2:42 PM
Yea, that show in NJ was the first one I've been to in many years! I really did enjoy the presentations. While I bought a few things, they were "on the list" before I went to the show to take advantage of some pricing discounts and not impulsive purchases, for the most part.