PDA

View Full Version : Working Wood in the 18th Century

lowell holmes
05-04-2018, 12:45 PM
I ran across the flier for the 2005 session which I attended. Have any of you attended one?
It takes place at Colonial Williamsburg and there is a lot to see in the area. Plan on a day
for site seeing.

I remember Roy Underhill was there along with Mack Headley, Jeff Headey, and Andy-Chappel-Dick.

Roy was entertaining and he visited with the attendee's.

If you get the chance, I recommend that you attend one, it is well worth the time and money.

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2018, 4:34 PM
I absolutely agree Lowell. I'm still stewing that I missed year one. I haven't missed one since and will be going as long as I can. I've met a lot of great Creekers there too.

lowell holmes
05-04-2018, 4:38 PM
It is half way across the continent from Galveston County Texas, so I never made another one.
I am getting to be an old dog and don't like traveling by myself. I don't imagine SWMBO would
enjoy the session.

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2018, 5:21 PM
I go alone. My wife loves Colonial Williamsburg, but not in winter and she has no desire to try and amuse herself while I'm in the conference. Her tolerance to historical venues and woodworking or furniture site visits runs out after 1.5 days so she usually brings her golf clubs if we go in September.

Warren Mickley
05-04-2018, 7:30 PM
I have been to the last dozen conferences. Eighteenth century technique is my interest.

Bob Glenn
05-05-2018, 11:26 AM
I try not to miss it. They used to have two three day sessions, but as attendance dwindled, they went to just one a couple years ago. Unfortunately, I missed last year's conference since I was late in registering. I think it sold out in less than two weeks. The Society of American Period furniture makers uses the conference as their annual meeting.

lowell holmes
05-05-2018, 11:58 AM
However, she informed me this morning that my daughter, her husband, my granddaughter and two grandsons are going to Denver.
And, we will be going with them.
My daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter, and two grandsons, three grand dogs and one grand cat live 1/2 mile from our house.
We see them daily.:)