PDA

View Full Version : Dust deputy and a good seal, (accidentally) confirmed

Roy Petersen
05-04-2018, 11:24 AM
All my reading here about needing a good seal on the parts below the Dust Deputy turned out to be very accurate.
I have a clear hose from the DD down to the can (makes it simpler to see when things get full or have issues), and a good weatherstripping seal between the heavy wooden lid and the can. In operation, you can see just a bit of dust swirling near the top, unless doing something that produces a lot at once, like the tablesaw. It generally clears almost immediately once the incoming dust slows/stops.

Yesterday, I start a session and swapped from one leg of the pipes to another then begin. Suddenly notice a large amount of dust swirling, way more than usual. In the past, if I didn't open the middle gate slightly, the volume of air from the furthest tool would cause eddies at the wye nearest the mid drop, so I assumed the same had happened and it would clear itself shortly. It didn't. Fiddled with gates and slowly it dawned on me something wasn't right, so checked the lid on the can under the DD. Sure enough, it was slightly off and a gap existed. Shut down and looked inside, and not only was dust getting by the cyclone, it created a vortex inside the can and basically tornadoed about 4 inches of dust out of it and out the blower. :eek:
Wow. I'd call that proof that a really good seal from the DD on down is *really* important. Checking that's sealed before starting, also important. :p