PDA

View Full Version : Turkey technique...

Mark Singer
11-17-2005, 10:06 AM
We are having a large group...30 or more...I will make 2 turkeys...I am thinking of doing one breast down in the oven with a paper bag tent around it which has been soaked in oil...which oil and has anyone done this?

Second bird will be in my BBQ...breast down...I have done this and it came out great! Any suggestions....I have a smoker on the BBQ...what wood in the smoker?
All help will be appreciated ...

John...I don't have Shlamaca:rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I like to inject the birds with at least chix broth, often a witches brew of broth, spices, even blended garlic and onions.

Keel McDonald
11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I personally like mine fried. Much better that way, IMHO.

Rob Russell
11-17-2005, 11:03 AM
We rotisserie our turkey (up to 20 pounds). It tastes absolutely phenomenal!

Rob

Roy Wall
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Mark,

Apple wood is my favorite for smoking chicken:) ......it should work nicely on the BIG BIRD TOO!

Don't know about the oil................

Bruce Volden
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Mark,

You started it on another thread; bird 1, I would go with "tung oil" >8) !!
I really like smoking meat on the grill using applewood chips soaked in water for about 10 min.

Really, for bird 1 have you thought of some of those "flavored" oils, I believe they come in several flavors, garlic I know! Bruce

Rob Bourgeois
11-17-2005, 11:23 AM
another vote for apple. With a couple of apple slices stuffed in the bird along with some onion and garlic. Dont eat this stuffing mixture..its mushy and nasty but the bird tastes good.

I am doing 2 this year, a Cajun Fried turkey and an apple smoked.

Scott Coffelt
11-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Trying a roaster this year. I'll probably add some liquid smoke to the mix and a bit of seasoning.

Joe Pelonio
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Last year I did two turkeys in the BBQ and they came out great using Alder. Have used apple in the past also, and it was good but the alder seemed a little better. Also, I brined them overnight and they were a lot juicier than ever before.

Bryan Somers
11-17-2005, 1:07 PM
Check out this site http://www.thesmokering.com

Joe Horne
11-17-2005, 3:30 PM
Some of the best Poultry I have ever tasted was smoked using Pecan wood. I don't know what it is about it, but it was awesome.

Roy Wall
11-17-2005, 4:59 PM
Mark,

Consulted with a true "smokin expert".............

The Apple is good.....but pretty mild. Could do a Apple / Oak combo....

OR

His vote was for PECAN for more flavor -- I see it already got an earlier vote!!!

The key to best smoke flavor is getting it on there first thing..

GOOD LUCK!!

Joe Pelonio
11-17-2005, 5:08 PM
Ok, I guess many of you serious woodworkers have access to a better variety of woods, but for those of us that have to buy chips, where does one go to purchase pecan chips? My usual suppliers only have Hickory, Alder, Apple, Cherry, and Mesquite. I'd like to try that pecan on this year's birds.

John Shuk
11-17-2005, 5:33 PM
Nothing compares to using cherry in a smoker in my opinion.

Tom Hamilton
11-17-2005, 5:38 PM
Everyone has a favorite, in Texas many use Mesquite.

Randy Meijer
11-17-2005, 5:54 PM
I like pecan and do be sure to brine!! It is a bit of a chore; but it do make a big difference!!!

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2005, 10:50 AM
In case you want to try brine and don't have a recipe, this is what I do:

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs rosemary (or 1 tsp ground)
4 cloves garlic, smashed

Disolve the salt & sugar in 1 quart hot water, add to 2 gallons
cold water (part ice) in a clean huge container like a clean ice chest.
Add remaining ingredients & stir. Put in turkey overnight, if it won't
fit in your fridge then I use ice made in zip-lock bags to keep it
cold without diluting the mixture. Next day drain turkey, pat dry with
paper towels, then cook as usual.

Randy Meijer
11-18-2005, 3:17 PM
Joe: I've seen a bunch of recipes for brining solutions. Yours is a little different than most and sounds like it would be good. Usually the salt to water ratio varies depending upon what type of salt is used. What kind of salt do you use?? Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2005, 3:56 PM
What we use is granulated sea salt, I don't know the brand but it comes in a taller, thinner container than normal Morton's. Also, it's a little more coarse, but not like kosher.

Randy Meijer
11-18-2005, 4:32 PM
.....4 cloves garlic, smashed.....in a clean huge container like a clean ice chest....

After brining a turkey or two, I'll bet that ice chest isn't good for much else??:D :D

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2005, 4:40 PM
Good point (on the garlic). The first time I caught heck for that, scrubbed it down with clorox and the let it sit open a few weeks and it was OK.
I guess no one like garlic flavored beer? Last year at my wife's suggestion I lined it with a double layer of (new) heavy duty trash bags. With the salt you have to be careful about using something metal that's reactive.

Randy Meijer
11-18-2005, 4:57 PM
.....I guess no one likes garlic flavored beer.....

Might be good with that turkey???:D :D

Randy Meijer
11-19-2005, 2:18 AM
We rotisserie our turkey (up to 20 pounds). It tastes absolutely phenomenal! Rob

Oven, electric stand alone, grill or smoker???

Vaughn McMillan
11-19-2005, 4:50 AM
Oven, electric stand alone, grill or smoker??? Last year I brined our bird then spun it in the counter-top rotisserie...the Ronco Showtime with the annoying commercials. I tried the rotisserie at my sister's recommendation, and it came out great. I also like smoking them. I've had the best luck with an electric smoker and a blend of mesquite and apple, with a pan of water and red wine above the heat and the cavity stuffed with large chunks of apples, onions and celery (not to be eaten afterwards). Infortunately, LOML and MIL are not fond of smoked meat, so I'll rotisserie the bird this year, and throw some additional red meat of some kind on the wood smoker for my own kicks.

- Vaughn

Rob Russell
11-19-2005, 7:45 AM
Oven, electric stand alone, grill or smoker???

Gas grill - the "Superb" made by Empire, outside on the patio. It's got 2 12,000 BTU ceramic infrared burners that sit across the back of the grill. Even in CT with the range of temps we get - it'll work fine. If it got really nasty cold and windy (like 30 and howling), I'd snug the birds to the middle and light one of the regular burners on an end just to keep the temp up in the grill. We can put pans under the birds to capture the juices for gravy. LOML picked up 2 turkeys yesterday that are about 11 pounds each. By the time we put the guts and necks out, we'll be down to 10 pounds each or the 20 pound rating of the rotisserie. We've also done (4) 5 pound chickens before. Good stuff!

Joe Pelonio
11-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Gas grill. In '03 used inderect method, last year did rotis with back burner. That was too much work, and took 4 tries to get the two 12 pounders balanced on the spit.

Fred Dorn
11-20-2005, 2:08 AM
Mark,

2 parts apple wood and 1 part pecan is what I use in competitions with poultry.

Rob Russell
11-24-2005, 10:40 PM
I thought I'd show a couple pics of the birds on the grill. First shot is of the overall grill. Second is a closeup - if you look you can see the 2 rotisserie burners glowing red behind the birds. The drippings in the pans under the birds are the base for the gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Rob

Scott Donley
11-24-2005, 11:13 PM
I thought I was full till I saw those two on the grill, looking really good:)

Mark Singer
11-25-2005, 12:44 AM
I had one in the oven and one in the BBQ. Both breast down. The oven one I used a paper bag soaked in peanut oil and it took a little longer but was great. The BBq one I smoked with apple and oak(was going to try Shlamaca, but John Hart really hordes it)...very good flavor, I used cajun ...creole spice ...excellent! I have left overs and you don't need a Euro slider to cut these babys so stop by...:)

Don Baer
11-25-2005, 1:48 AM
I used cajun ...creole spice ...excellent! I have left overs and you don't need a Euro slider to cut these babys so stop by...:)

Mark,
If I didn't have to go to AZ tomarrow I'd take you up on your offer..

:D