PDA

View Full Version : Name two things that will probably never happen...

Kev Williams
05-03-2018, 2:36 PM
I'll start:

1- Opting out of ad emails actually stopping the emails...
Bought a screened canopy from QVC last weekend. Been getting 2-3 ad emails every day since.
Yesterday I opted out.
First two emails this morning were ads from QVC... http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/banghead.gif

2- LED light bulbs lasting 5 to 45 years... yeah, right. The words "junk science" come to mind...
After less than 2 years of service many of the LED bulbs in our house are doing the strobe-light thing. Not conducive to the wife's chronic migraines... Also not conducive to the high prices for them... example, I paid like $60 for an LED lit floor-standing magnifier to help with painting small engraved items. It started strobing at about 2 years old, and there's no replacement lighting for it.
I'm getting longer life out of the twisted CFL's...

Both of these get hearty http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/thumbdown.gif from me.

--- others?

Chase Mueller
05-03-2018, 2:55 PM
I'll play along.
1: Woodworkers agreeing on one uniform sharpening technique.
2: Elon Musk taking over the world an uploading a digital copy of his brain into AI, resulting in an incalculable number of artificial Musl's to exist forever.
Seriously, could happen. Probably won't.. but..

Chuck Wintle
05-03-2018, 5:15 PM
I'll start:

1- Opting out of ad emails actually stopping the emails...
Bought a screened canopy from QVC last weekend. Been getting 2-3 ad emails every day since.
Yesterday I opted out.
First two emails this morning were ads from QVC... http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/banghead.gif

2- LED light bulbs lasting 5 to 45 years... yeah, right. The words "junk science" come to mind...
After less than 2 years of service many of the LED bulbs in our house are doing the strobe-light thing. Not conducive to the wife's chronic migraines... Also not conducive to the high prices for them... example, I paid like $60 for an LED lit floor-standing magnifier to help with painting small engraved items. It started strobing at about 2 years old, and there's no replacement lighting for it.
I'm getting longer life out of the twisted CFL's...

Both of these get hearty http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/thumbdown.gif from me.

--- others?

never say never IMHO. but saying that how about the end of all war and poverty?

Rick Brantley
05-03-2018, 6:01 PM
1 - The National Do Not Call Registry will succeed
2 - I will live long enough to get that last best tool that I will ever need in the shop

Jim Koepke
05-03-2018, 6:22 PM
1. Women will stop demanding a toilet seat be set back in the down position when men are done using it.
2. Women will start lifting a toilet seat to the up position when they are done using it.

jtk

John K Jordan
05-03-2018, 6:26 PM

It's not the science but the product design and manufacture. As discussed in an earlier thread,

1) The tiny LED light sources inside the fixture or bulb will last an incredibly long time IF they do not overheat. I found some fixtures pay little or no attention to heat sinking to remove heat from the semiconductor. I bought some fixtures and returned those that did not properly disperse heat. It's not rocket science, just $$.

2) The electronics that drive the LED are complex and far more likely to fail than the light emitting diodes. Especially if kept hot.

I've had several LED fixtures fail and being non-repairable just added to the landfill problem and the slim wallet problem. My current policy: only buy fixtures with replaceable elements. I wish the best for those who have filled their shops with cheap LED fixtures.

JKJ

Brian Elfert
05-03-2018, 7:09 PM
My house is all LED lighting. I have had one LED bulb fail in three and a half years. Cree replaced it with TWO bulbs of a newer design that work better in enclosed fixtures. Previously, I was replacing CFLs monthly in a fixture with three bulbs. I would literally take a dozen bulbs at a time to Home Depot for recycling. The bulbs were GE brand and cheap with subsidies.

Matt Day
05-03-2018, 9:50 PM
“Rachel” from Hilton Hotels will stop calling me. I hate that they mask real phone numbers so I can’t call back!!!

Frederick Skelly
05-03-2018, 9:52 PM
1. Johnny Manziel getting another shot at the NFL? :D

2. Congress voting to balance the budget?

Bruce Wrenn
05-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Winning the lottery. I guess it would help if I bought a ticket. Waking up and saying "I have nothing to do today." That will only occur when I'm dead. My often tells me "while you are resting, how about doing so and so."

Andrew Joiner
05-03-2018, 10:29 PM
I'm really bad at this. At one time I predicted it would NEVER be cool to have your underwear sticking out of your waistband.

Bryan Lisowski
05-03-2018, 10:43 PM
I will never be Queen of England.
I will never play for the NY Yankees.

John Terefenko
05-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Republicans and Democrats agreeing on anything

Deficit paid off

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2018, 1:23 AM
Flying cars and fusion power generation.

Fifty years ago, both of these were "25 years in the future"...and they still are.

Jim Koepke
05-04-2018, 2:27 AM
Flying cars and fusion power generation.

Fifty years ago, both of these were "25 years in the future"...and they still are.

As to flying cars, would you trust some of the tick bit yahoos reeking havoc on our roads to be less dangerous flying overhead?

In my opinion the human capacity for maturity has to go through another century or two before we can be trusted with flying transport on a personal level.

On fusion power generation, one theory has it that some of the binary star systems were at one time a star and a planet where people tried fusion power generation and had a run away event.

jtk

Matt Day
05-04-2018, 7:32 AM
Jim, by the time there are flying cars they will surely be driverless and require no human input. So it won’t matter if we’re still a bunch of “tick bit yahoos”.

Mel Fulks
05-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Matt, I think it was Ford in the 1950s that wanted to make flying cars. The wings folded up in "street mode". I think the Feds complained.

John K Jordan
05-04-2018, 11:25 AM
My house is all LED lighting. I have had one LED bulb fail in three and a half years. Cree replaced it with TWO bulbs of a newer design that work better in enclosed fixtures. Previously, I was replacing CFLs monthly in a fixture with three bulbs. I would literally take a dozen bulbs at a time to Home Depot for recycling. The bulbs were GE brand and cheap with subsidies.

There is always anecdotal "evidence." I had one low-wattage CFL burning continuously, day and night, for 7 years - the one I replaced it with has about a year on it now. Most of those in my garage are almost a decade old. (BTW, I read good advice once about extending the life of CFLs - when turned on, it can help to let the bulbs come up to temperature before shutting them off. The article suggested 15 minutes. From what I know of thermal shock in electronic circuits it makes sense.)

Let's all check back in 5 or 10 years with updated light stories.

JKJ

lowell holmes
05-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Politicians worrying about us instead of themselves.:rolleyes:
And my Lab staying off of the couch.

John K Jordan
05-04-2018, 11:43 AM
- An "inside-outside" cat that wants the door opened fewer than 30 times a day.

- My Lovely Bride preparing a less-than-incredible meal. (she who lives to cook)

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2018, 1:16 PM
There is always anecdotal "evidence." I had one low-wattage CFL burning continuously, day and night, for 7 years - the one I replaced it with has about a year on it now. Most of those in my garage are almost a decade old. (BTW, I read good advice once about extending the life of CFLs - when turned on, it can help to let the bulbs come up to temperature before shutting them off. The article suggested 15 minutes. From what I know of thermal shock in electronic circuits it makes sense.)I've had regular incandescent bulbs last decades in rooms with dimmer switches. My guess is that it's because the bulbs ramp up over the half-second or so while I'm sliding the dimmer on rather than just the instant full-power surge from a regular switch.

lowell holmes
05-04-2018, 2:11 PM
Swmbo saying " That mess is OK, just leave it until tomorrow".:)

Lee Schierer
05-04-2018, 2:38 PM
1. Getting younger

and

2. A woodworker saying he has enough clamps?

John K Jordan
05-04-2018, 2:49 PM
I've had regular incandescent bulbs last decades in rooms with dimmer switches. My guess is that it's because the bulbs ramp up over the half-second or so while I'm sliding the dimmer on rather than just the instant full-power surge from a regular switch.

Yes, I understand reducing the power-on surge can be a big help to many things electrical; that and the mechanical expansion/contraction of circuit traces and components from heating/cooling cycles are apparently common killers of devices. I think one reason for the long life of circuits today in things like tablets and phones are due in part to almost microscopic surface-mount components combined with minuscule current draw. (For an eyeopener, take an outdated smart phone apart and look at the circuit board with strong magnification.)

Also, if you sometimes use the light at least partially dimmed, fewer molecules boil off the white-hot filament and it will last longer. Years ago I started buying bulbs rated for 130 volts, more expensive but they definitely last longer. A small decrease in the voltage gives a huge increase in bulb life with just a small decrease in light output (and color temperature). Look at how the live doubles with a 5% voltage reduction:

Applied Illumination Engineering, Jack Lindsey

You also used to be able to buy a button sized dimmer to drop in the light socket under the bulb and reduce the power to the bulb a little - this made the bulbs last "forever".

I have maybe a dozen of these desk lamps in the shop and house with dimmers and incandescent bulbs (halogen) and I rarely use them at full brightness - some of the bulbs are probably 40 years old now with some use every day. The only bulb I've ever had to replace was on a lamp I loaned to teenager who probably used in on full brightness all the time. And probably accidentally left it on all day.
https://www.staples.com/Tensor-Halogen-Desk-Lamp-Brushed-Steel/product_382362

JKJ

Bill Jobe
05-04-2018, 3:29 PM
I've had very poor luck with CFL and led screw in bulbs.
As for energy savings, I'm not convinced the technology is there yet.
Furthermore, these types of bulbs are far more of a pollution problem. How many people do you suppose take an led or CFL to a recycling center when it fails?
I have gotten some pretty good led ceiling lights over the years, but screw in....not so much.
I don't see the advantage of either over and incandescent in colder climates such as here in the upper Midwest in winter. Incandescent bulbs last longer, they are cheaper, they produce less pollution when thrown out, and, if the wasted energy goes to heat, where is the loss? We heat our homes in winter.
Seems to me a simple incandescent bulb is 100% efficient in winter.
But more than likely I lack understanding that would prove me wrong.

Mark Bolton
05-04-2018, 3:42 PM
It's not the science but the product design and manufacture. As discussed in an earlier thread,

1) The tiny LED light sources inside the fixture or bulb will last an incredibly long time IF they do not overheat. I found some fixtures pay little or no attention to heat sinking to remove heat from the semiconductor. I bought some fixtures and returned those that did not properly disperse heat. It's not rocket science, just $$.

2) The electronics that drive the LED are complex and far more likely to fail than the light emitting diodes. Especially if kept hot.

I've had several LED fixtures fail and being non-repairable just added to the landfill problem and the slim wallet problem. My current policy: only buy fixtures with replaceable elements. I wish the best for those who have filled their shops with cheap LED fixtures.

JKJ
And not to mention when you start to figure that half of the countries utility companies are supplying an over-voltage condition because they are unwilling to invest in their aging infrastructure, you will see why everything from appliances to light bulbs last fewer and fewer hours. I will nearly guarantee you that the utility companies, or their executives, are vested heavily in financial gains from failed equipment and appliances. Entire dishwashers and refrigerators and any other appliance are winding up in the landfill because a motor, compressor, circuit board, failed in a couple years and the replacement, and installation, are 2/3 the cost of a new appliance so out with the old, in with the new.

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2018, 4:12 PM
Also, if you sometimes use the light at least partially dimmed, fewer molecules boil off the white-hot filament and it will last longer. Years ago I started buying bulbs rated for 130 volts, more expensive but they definitely last longer. A small decrease in the voltage gives a huge increase in bulb life with just a small decrease in light output (and color temperature).I vaguely recall that the life increase is something like the fourth power of the voltage reduction. (Started as a EE major 50 years ago, switched to math...go figure.)

It's also certainly possible that the dimmer circuitry itself never really gets to 100%: these are old-school analog widgets, circa 1990. I think I'm down to one or two of them, as various lamps and fixtures transition to LED and the dimmers themselves get replaced with 21st-century tech.

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2018, 4:26 PM
John and Lee. As you have both said, heat is the enemy of electronic devices. A 10 degree C rise in the junction temperature of an IC will cut the mean time between failure in half.

Bill McNiel
05-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Politicians worrying about us instead of themselves.:rolleyes:
And my Lab staying off of the couch.

Absolutely true, same here!

Mike Kees
05-05-2018, 1:37 AM
I really like the toughness of the LED bulbs. They dont break in my trouble light or the bulb in my bandsaw light.

Rich Engelhardt
05-05-2018, 9:33 AM
1.) An end to the "9mm vs .45 acp" debate..

2.) Catherine Zeta Jones knocking on my door to tell my she's mine. (I already Ok'ed this with my wife, BTW. My wife says that's fine with her if/when it happens)

Lee DeRaud
05-05-2018, 9:42 AM
1.) An end to the "9mm vs .45 acp" debate..

2.) Catherine Zeta Jones knocking on my door to tell my she's mine. (I already Ok'ed this with my wife, BTW. My wife says that's fine with her if/when it happens)You've got better odds with #2.

Although to any right-thinking human, #1 really isn't a "debate". :)

Ted Calver
05-05-2018, 9:59 AM
“Rachel” from Hilton Hotels will stop calling me. I hate that they mask real phone numbers so I can’t call back!!!

Rachel? I thought Rachel was with "card services". She sure gets around.:cool:

Curt Harms
05-06-2018, 5:59 AM
Matt, I think it was Ford in the 1950s that wanted to make flying cars. The wings folded up in "street mode". I think the Feds complained.

Molt Taylor for one. I'm not really sure why it didn't catch on, I image weight was one issue. Making something durable enough to withstand substandard roads (yes, I drive in Pennsylvania) yet light enough to fly and carry a useful load.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadable_aircraft#/media/File:Taylor-Aerocar-III.jpg

Brian Elfert
05-06-2018, 2:00 PM
I don't see the advantage of either over and incandescent in colder climates such as here in the upper Midwest in winter. Incandescent bulbs last longer, they are cheaper, they produce less pollution when thrown out, and, if the wasted energy goes to heat, where is the loss? We heat our homes in winter.

I also live in a climate where heat is needed in the winter. However, natural gas is way cheaper to heat with than electricity. The house I live in had electric heat when I bought it. I had duct work and a gas furnace put in. My heating costs with gas are about 20% of what the previous owner paid for electricity. The utility savings will pay for the $20,000+ system in ten years.

Wade Lippman
05-06-2018, 3:33 PM
vs .45 acp" debate..

2.) Catherine Zeta Jones knocking on my door to tell my she's mine. (I already Ok'ed this with my wife, BTW. My wife says that's fine with her if/when it happens)

I thought she was better looking than a human had a right to be, until I saw the 2003 pictures of her sunbathing while pregnant. She is very human.

Ronald Blue
05-06-2018, 5:51 PM
Being happy with the weather.....to hot, to cold, to wet, to dry, to windy..........

Knowing when one has enough tools....

Robin Dobbie
05-06-2018, 6:20 PM

1. updating the US telephone tech so that spoofing is no longer possible

2. enough people getting sick of spam phone calls so that it's no longer worth it to telemarket

Bill Jobe
05-06-2018, 7:50 PM
I also live in a climate where heat is needed in the winter. However, natural gas is way cheaper to heat with than electricity. The house I live in had electric heat when I bought it. I had duct work and a gas furnace put in. My heating costs with gas are about 20% of what the previous owner paid for electricity. The utility savings will pay for the $20,000+ system in ten years.

Now if you could just harness the light created by your gas furnace. (tee-hee)

Kev Williams
05-07-2018, 10:42 AM
1- Remembering to take those brain memory pills are the wife bought me-

2- A simple test to figure out if they actually work... ;)

John Sanford
05-09-2018, 3:44 PM
1) Bacon NOT being tasty. (see Restaurant At the End of the Universe for proof)
2) Left Lane Bandits getting a clue.

Kev Williams
05-11-2018, 6:25 PM
funny about the bacon - I was about to start a thread titled "what did they do to my bacon??"--
seriously, the last 3 packages I've bought- a thick sliced pepper bacon our store makes, and 2 'local' brands, none of which have never disappointed till now- have been terrible! All 3 of them have been very tasteless, and the fat is like bacon flavored rubber bands. If you soft-cook it, the meat is chewy and tasteless, and cooked crispy the meat is more like bacon-flavored salad topping. The fat can't be chewed and swallowed unless it's burnt. Just wondering if genetic engineering is at play...