PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Fire tablet opinions

dennis thompson
05-03-2018, 9:26 AM
I'm thinking of getting an Amazon Fire tablet. I will just use it for email and web browsing.
Does anyone who owns one of these have an opinion on it?
It's available with 8GB for $50, 16 GB for $80 and 32GDb for $100, for my purposes which would you recommend?
In this price range, are there any other tablets you would recommend instead of the Amazon Fire?
Thanks

Chase Mueller
05-03-2018, 9:41 AM
If it's just web browsing and email, literally any tablet on the market would suffice. May be able to find an android powered tablet on amazon for even cheaper.
Having said that, 8GB Kindle Fire will do just fine, I had one, no major complaints.

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2018, 1:48 AM
I bought one strictly for travel. I normally take both my Kindle Touch and a laptop on car trips, but didn't want to carry the laptop bag on the airplane in addition to my camera bag: the 8" version slides into the side pocket and covers both functions. It's too heavy to replace my regular Kindle as an everyday e-reader and too small to use full-time as a "computer", but it fills this particular niche usage quite nicely.

They're a nice enough tablet for the money. I went with the 32GB because (1) I've run into too many Android apps on my phone that refuse to use the SD card storage and (2) there just wasn't enough price difference to justify skimping on storage. I went ahead and added a 128GB SD card just because I had an extra, but it's probably overkill.

Matt Day
05-04-2018, 7:11 AM
My kids both have a Fire, 8gb. I use it occasionally on trips to surf the internet and it works fine. It’s cheap enough to buy external micro sd cards where it’s probably best to get the cheapest fire. The micro sd cards are needed to download shows/movies if you’re offline such as on an airplane.

Dave Lehnert
05-06-2018, 10:41 AM
I have a Kindle Fire tablet and like it.
I have the 8GB and never needed more space. The thing to remember is books and music or movies you buy from Amazon is stored on the cloud. No need to store everything on your tablet (But you can if you want) Because of this you need less storage space. When connected to the internet you cant tell the difference what is on your tablet vs the cloud. Amazon makes this part easy.
The one negative vs other tablets is your are kinda locked into the Amazon system. Amazon sells their tablets cheap for a reason. So you can buy stuff from them. You are limited to their apps. (A work around is possible, but more than I care to fool with) Amazon is not going to sell you a tablet cheap and make it easy to buy product from another source. This does not bother me so much because I buy all my digital products from Amazon anyway.

Lee DeRaud
05-06-2018, 10:54 AM
The one negative vs other tablets is your are kinda locked into the Amazon system. Amazon sells their tablets cheap for a reason. So you can buy stuff from them. You are limited to their apps. (A work around is possible, but more than I care to fool with)FWIW, I went through the process to install Google Play and its associated support apps, took maybe 10 minutes. My understanding is that it's a lot easier on the recent generations than the early ones.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/