PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbirds stuck in shop - Ideas ?

Marc Jeske
05-02-2018, 9:29 PM
So when the overhead doors are open, sometime Hummingbirds come in.

Two more tonight will bite the dust... was not able to lure them to leave before I had to close up shop.

They seem to know that the Sky is always open above them, so they fly around up against the ceiling, not dipping down to o'head door level to escape.

Unfortunately, after a few hours of this, often also bound up by ceiling spiderwebs, their brief energy is spent and they slowly fall to floor in shop.

I try to watch them and still be around to then pick them up, VERY delicately lick off the spiderwebs, bring outside, try to refresh them w sprinkle of plain water in my hand.

Usually after a few minutes of that they revive and fly off, hopefully to get some nutrition for energy closeby.

Our closest feeder is 30' from the shop o'head doors.

Other times, I am unable to wait for them to fall, or can't find them once they do, very sad for me to see such a glorious Creature to succumb.

Sometime it works to temporarily hang a red feeder in the o'head door opening to lead them "out", but usually not.

And, in a previous shop w skylights, fuggedaboutit.

So, I'm thinking of cutting a small escape door in gable end of shop up high as possible controlled w like a rope/ pulley.

With that, seeing as how my shop has NO light input other than electric lighting, I could shut everything down, and the only light they will see is outside this escape door that is up high. just below the "ceiling".

Maybe also add a small light outside when they come in in evening.

What experiences/ suggestions/ methods might you Guys have ?

Marc
______

Jay Radke
05-02-2018, 9:47 PM
wow, you go above and beyond to lick off the spiderwebs!!!

Marc Jeske
05-02-2018, 9:58 PM
First, years ago tried to pulloff dry w fingers.. WAYY to much adhesion, could hurt the Bird.

So somehow it went to the licking off, seems to work pretty good.

Marc

Mel Fulks
05-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Marc, thanks for your efforts. I would contact a wild life conservation group for more sugestions.

Keith Weber
05-03-2018, 12:12 AM
So somehow it went to the licking off, seems to work pretty good.

By licking off, you mean lightly wiping with a damp cloth, right? Because that would have the same effect without the weirdness.

Marc Jeske
05-03-2018, 12:56 AM
Ya, I hear that.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a Norman Bates thing going here, it was just more available than the cloth, and I am more concerned about the animal rather than any squeamishness or proper propriety on my part.

Let's get over that , if we can, and focus on a solution.

You have probably licked worse things in your time, and if not, I'm sorry.

Let's move on.

Thank you, Marc

Alex Zeller
05-03-2018, 1:34 AM
One year the wife planted a bunch of dahlias near the doors to my garage. After several humming birds got stuck inside I realized that they were seeing the reflection of the flowers in the glass on the doors. It was a hot summer having to keep them closed but it was a lesson learned. I found that after a short period of time they tire and I could take a 12' long piece of scrap wood and hold the end near them. Sooner or later they would stand on the stick and then I could lower it down. I ended up keeping sugar water on hand as they can't go very long without feeding. My best advise is to look around outside and see if there's something attracting them. The other flying creatures (both birds and bats) just get a window left open.

Martin Wasner
05-03-2018, 7:21 AM
Turn the lights off, open anything that goes outside. I get birds all the time, I feel bad when it's a hummingbird for some reason.

John Kee
05-03-2018, 8:44 AM
I'll second Martin's reply, I get a few every season and this works every time.

Scott Buehler
05-03-2018, 4:08 PM
"Licking a bird"? Ok...yeah probably shut all lights and open the doors

Dan Bundy
05-04-2018, 6:10 AM
Does the garage door have an emergency release? If so, what color is it? I had a release that had a big red knob on the end of it and I saw hummers swoop in to check it out a couple of times. I spooked them before the could get in and get stuck, fortunately. If yours is red, maybe change the color of it. Good luck.

Bradley Gray
05-04-2018, 8:30 AM
I have had good luck reviving hummers that get stuck inside by holding them on the feeder, beak engaged.

As soon as their blood sugar comes back up they fly off.

John K Jordan
05-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Turn the lights off, open anything that goes outside. I get birds all the time, I feel bad when it's a hummingbird for some reason.

Same here - turn off all the lights, open the doors. If it's not bright outside put a bright lamp outside the door.

JKJ

Marc Jeske
05-04-2018, 10:41 PM
About the Licking - The Tongue is WAY more sensitive to feel than the hand or fingers.

Think about the last time you had a TINY glass or steel sliver in a finger...The exact location was WAY easier to find w your tongue.

With these birds, the spider web material adheres like crazy.. Pulling it off w fingers.. you cannot tell if you are harming the birds joints.

AND, saliva provides a much more suspending liquid than water, to prevent re adhesion.

Anyway, that's a basic explanation.

Marc

Thomas L Carpenter
05-05-2018, 8:49 AM
I have had some luck with turning all the inside lights out and putting red flowers in a pot on a table (or as high as you can get them) just outside the door and then leaving the garage for awhile. Some of them a smart enough to figure it out and some aren't. They remain panicky if you are still in the garage and moving around.