PDA

View Full Version : New TS and shop built mobile base

Kelly C. Hanna
11-17-2005, 9:54 AM
I got a 'new' TS and it's mounting base from a local ww'ing friend (thanks Brian!). From that I built the mobile base 'loosely based' on the Best Ever Workshops' article.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/MBalmostfinished1.jpg

See the whole story here...

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/NewTSandbase.html

This created a mini shop makeover....some pics are on the page above...now I can work in there without tripping all over everything! The 1hp Craftsman is now dedicated to the jobsite!

Tyler Howell
11-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Looking good Kelly, Must be tough loosing the Griz.
:o This will be your little dog till your big (220) dog comes home.

Frank Pellow
11-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Kelly, nice job on the cabinet.

I enjoyed reading the whole story. :) But, it's a real bummer having to revert to 110 volt electricity. :( If it were me I would have begged, borrowed, or stolen the 2K that it took to upgrade.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Great job on the cabinet Kelly

Jim O'Dell
11-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey, Kelly, glad you found a solution to work around the current (pun intended) problem. Hopefully your business will increase to the point that you can upgrade the electrical in the future. Jim.

Greg Scott
11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Kelly,
Nice looking cabinet. I did something similar for my saw. For a word of advice, go to Hartville tool and grab 4 of these for your casters. They lock the swivel as well as the wheel and roll great and they are cheap as well only $6.49. It will make it roll much easier.
Greg

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
That is a nice looking cart Kelly. I just built the same one with almost the same dimensions as in the article. Works great doesn't it.

Bryan Somers
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Looks great also looks like something I could use. Where could I find that articale?

Ed Blough
11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Kelly
Glad to hear things are starting to go your way!!! Shop and new mobile Saw center look great!

Kelly C. Hanna
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys...going back to 110v wasn't the plan at first, but I had to do it. Cashflow has been terribly spotty this year. I hope to get past that in the next year since I am opening up a booth at First Monday (Canton, TX...the largest trade days market in the US) in 2006. I will never sell this saw though...at the very least, it will become the dado dedicated saw. It is the best contractor saw I have ever owned.

The Griz was two feet longer than this saw and really would have strangled my 'little red barn' shop...this saw runs just over 5'6" instead of 7'6" and it leaves mne room to walk...:D

Yes, someday I will be back in the 220v arena...there'll be a Jet 16" BS, a cyclone in the shed and a Delta Unisaw behemoth with integral outfeeds in all directions (course the shop will be much bigger)...but for now this setup will do fine....:D

Kelly C. Hanna
11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Bryan...the Best Ever Workshops mag (got it at Home Depot) is where I got the article....it's on page 54.

Bryan Somers
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Kelly. Thank you.

Jim Dannels
11-17-2005, 8:16 PM
That sure is a nice mobile base. I have a BT3100 I am planning to set up just like that Well maybe MDF in place of the Oak ply though. I have the same magazine, a couple of shop notes with base plans as well. Problem is every one I see has features I like, am likely to create some hybird of all of them?

Corey Hallagan
11-17-2005, 8:43 PM
Hey Kelly, nice saw, that is the same saw I have. Love the base cab! Congrats. BTW, when you get a little extra cash, buy the 30.00 Delta removable splitter, it will improve things nicely and putting on a link belt will smooth the performance like you won't believe! I have found that the Freud thin kerf blades like the LU 83 50 tooth combo works the best for me so far.
Congrats and the mobile base cabinet looks awesome!
Corey

Vaughn McMillan
11-18-2005, 4:31 AM
Real nice saw cabinet, and your shop's coming along nicely Kelly. I especially liked the "Caution 440 Volts" sign by the electrical panel. Liar. :D

- Vaughn

lou sansone
11-18-2005, 7:12 AM
cool looking base and saw.. has a biesmier fence and all
nice
lou

Kelly C. Hanna
11-18-2005, 8:22 AM
Yea....you busted me Vaughn! I found that sign at a garage sale....wishful thinkin'! :D:D

Kelly C. Hanna
11-18-2005, 8:24 AM
Corey...I plan on the splitter for sure. The combo blade is already in the plans.

Howard Barlow
11-22-2005, 4:39 AM
Kelly, looks good. I started to build one for my Delta cont., but I sold the saw.:eek: Now I'm waiting for funds for a cabinet saw.

Dittos on the wheels Greg posted. I bought them from Woodcraft for my router table. They are great.