PDA

View Full Version : Shank extender for bormax bits

Douglas Morrison
05-02-2018, 12:00 PM
I have a 1 1/16” famag bormax bit that I use for boring out peppermills. It cuts like a dream but it has a hex shank and I have not been able to find a shank extender for it. Does anyone know where I could get one? Thanks

John Sanford
05-02-2018, 5:05 PM
If the hex shank is standard 1/4", then the extenders they sell for spade bits should work. You can find the spade bit extenders at your local neighborhood borg.

robert baccus
05-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Craft supplies has some heavy extenders in various lengths. I use them for deep vases.

Marvin Hasenak
05-03-2018, 2:11 AM
I use a piece of 1/2" steel rod, drill out the appropriate side hole on one end, then cross drill and tap for a set screw to lock the bit in place. I use my collet chuck when drilling the hole in the rod to get it centered.

Len Mullin
05-03-2018, 9:57 AM
Douglas, what size of hex is it, we need the size to make a proper recommendation? If it is the same size as the Forstners bits are, then extensions are available at lots of places. Harbor Freight and Lee Valley has them, along with numerous other suppliers. I bought an extension for my Forstner bits last year, I got it from a supplier here in Canada. I'm not sure which one, but I know I only paid around eight dollars for it.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Famag does supply extensions for their forstner bids, for the size mentioned the hex is probably 10mm, but have a look here, they show what they have.

https://www.fine-tools.com/bohrer-verlaengerung.html (https://www.fine-tools.com/bohrer-verlaengerung.html)

John Kee
05-03-2018, 12:46 PM
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/famag-10mm-x-250mm-forstner-bit-extension

Robbie Buckley
05-05-2018, 8:41 AM
Would a long 10mm socket and extension bar work?

Brian Holcombe
05-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Famag makes one for it, they actually sell on Amazon.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-05-2018, 3:15 PM

It would drive it alright, but there is the problem of retracting the drill bit several times when drilling the deep holes to clear the shavings, and it would pretty hard to used a setscrew in a socket.

But as I pointed out famag does make and supply extensions for their bits, that’s the best way to go IMO.

John Kee
05-05-2018, 3:37 PM
The Bormax bits I use have a 7/16" hex shafts that is not that common. That's why I put the link to Woodcraft. They have Bormax extensions, Lenox and Milwaukee also have the proper shafts.

Alex Zeller
05-05-2018, 5:17 PM

Probably not very well. Sockets and extensions have built in play. That would mean the bit would wobble and not be as predictable as if it was in the proper extension with the set screws tightened.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-05-2018, 11:34 PM
The Bormax bits I use have a 7/16" hex shafts that is not that common. That's why I put the link to Woodcraft. They have Bormax extensions, Lenox and Milwaukee also have the proper shafts.

All Bormax drill bits have metric sized shafts even the older inch sized bits have metric shafts, depending size they are 8 mm or 10 mm, or 13 mm with one that is 12 mm, according the catalog I have.