PDA

View Full Version : Length of air hose run?

scott bonder
11-17-2005, 9:15 AM
For the holidays, my wife will be getting me a small compressor and brad nailer. My shop (yes, I will get some pics up soon, I promise) is sort of split into two areas, one for loud machines, and the other for hand work, sanding, assembly. I want to put the compressor on the loud machine side and run a hose to the other side. I am wondering how much a 20' -30' hose would affect the setup? Will I need a bigger compressor to compensate for the distance?

Thanks

tod evans
11-17-2005, 9:21 AM
the hose acts more like extra tank capacity unless you`re using a high demand tool. a nail gun is not high demand. hope this helps? tod

Tyler Howell
11-17-2005, 9:50 AM
I ran 3/4" copper through out the Shop (L series??) Like Tod said acts like an extra storage tank.

Lee DeRaud
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
the hose acts more like extra tank capacity unless you`re using a high demand tool. a nail gun is not high demand.For what it's worth, the guys that did my roof had three guns, each on about 75' of hose, running off a compressor about the size of a microwave oven. Noisy little bugger, but didn't seem to have any problem keeping up.

They do like lots of electrons when they're running though: short cord, long hose is the right answer.

JayStPeter
11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I ran 100' of hose for the framing nailer when I did my basement. Nailers don't put much demand on the system.

On higher demand tools you might notice longer runs. When I use my impact gun or air ratchet I can tell a slight difference between using my 100' hose with 2x25' hose hooked on vs. just a 25'er. But, that's the problem with a fixed compressor installation when you want to put up a lumber rack in the shed :eek: .

Jay St. Peter

Mike Cutler
11-17-2005, 1:54 PM
Nope. The only consideration that would have to be made on a single long length of hose, or tubing run, would be if the internal diameter was too small, the hose would act like an orifice restriction. A D/P would develop across the length of the hose, and the CFM would go down. A 25'-30' length of hose will not make a difference, even on a small compressor.
Bernouli, Pascal, Bourdon,and Reynolds, all say that you are fine.;)

Randy Meijer
11-17-2005, 3:26 PM
I think an air hose would work along the same lines as a water line or an electric cord. If you want the max. air flow that your compressor is capable of producing, you need to use a bigger line as the distance increases. I don't don't know the specific specs; but I would guess that in your situation, there will not be a problem. Only when you get into long distances and high volumes should accomodations be necessary. I bet you could get the details if you were to email a big compressor manufacturer like Ingersol Rand.

www.ingersol-rand.com (http://www.ingersol-rand.com)