PDA

View Full Version : How do you all charge for adding pantograph engraving to a customers own tray?

David DiPietro
05-01-2018, 4:04 PM
Hi there folks,
I have been struggling with this question for years...how should I charge to add engraving to a customers own item?
Many times a client walks in with a silver or pewter tray or bowl that needs engraving added to them. Even though we may have added stuff in the past, the prep is very time consuming.
Today alone, one customers order for 6 trays to add engraving...5 hours. We really never know how long jobs like this would take so we established a flat rate. Usually $32.00 based on a 15-20 minute set up and run to complete.
One would think charging $50.00 an item would be fair but customers seem to say "wow, that's expensive!" based on my $32.00. Granted customers may think engraving is a simple copy/paste push a button job but they really have no idea how expensive time and machinery is to us especially when a job like this absorbs you day.
What do you all charge? I know different regional areas rates are very different but please let me know if you think what I am doing is too cheap or expensive.
I am located just North of NYC and do quite a bit of work coming out of Manhattan.

Thanks in advance - DD

Mike Null
05-01-2018, 5:12 PM
I would probably charge $50 each but then I got rid of my pantograph years ago because I couldn't make a decent income with it due to the long set up times.

I would be very surprised if they can find anybody who will do the job cheaper.