PDA

View Full Version : Brass Machine Plates

Nick Hale
05-01-2018, 2:01 AM
I have been wanting to make brass machine plates that is all the rave on youtube right now. They use acid baths, cnc mills, and a few other techniques. I think I could do the engraving, drill holes and the contour cut on my 30w fiber. I know others have done this, but cant find any in the search. I like how NYCNC did theirs on the laser, but only used a co2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-QAwB8TdI&t=2s

Any advice? Im located in the middle of nowhere so I have to order in materials to try this. Wasnt sure what would be best, aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel, etc?

Trey Tull
05-01-2018, 8:18 AM
I watch Johns stuff also and I found the MMMMk O Meter plate to be pretty cool. I bet you could get some painted brass from JDS, laser the paint off and then acid etch it. I don't have a fiber so I would have to cut it out with sheers and round the corners off.

Bill George
05-01-2018, 9:27 AM
I would need to have about $60 for each one of these to justify all the labor cost. I could cut the contour outline on my CNC router, who is the market for these? I really do not think a fiber laser would / could do the cutting unless its a 100 watt or so? I know my 20 watt would not.

Kev Williams
05-01-2018, 10:24 AM
No 30w fiber is going to cut any metal that thick, and especially not brass- and I'm with Bill, in the time it took them to make 2 plates I'd have banked $600 doing something profitable! ;)

On a lighter note, I have that exact shear they're using :D (and it's an OLD honker!)

John Lifer
05-01-2018, 10:47 AM
At less than 50 cents each in either plain brass or painted brass for perpetual plates, I can't see using anything like his process. I had guy bring me an aluminum VIN plate to replace his damaged plate the other day. 25 sec on the Fiber.....
Way too easy. Yep, at least $60 for that one George. And No one but the guy making the plate for his machine cares.....

Bill George
05-01-2018, 12:15 PM
I have the Shop Fox 12 inch 3 n 1 machine that I only use for tags and thin brass - aluminum. Its razor sharp and with a proper shop added guide it does a wonderful job.

I have some already coated brass sheet that would be perfect and be 1/2 the cost.

Jeff Watkins
05-03-2018, 12:55 AM
The brass they reference in the video is .015in or .381mm. I picked up a 12x18 sheet of .016in brass at my local hobby store and have been cutting 6 inch name plates for plaques that I make. I also cut my own dog tags out of 304 stainless that's just shy of 1mm. I'm using a 30w fiber. Through a progressive cutting strategy with wobble and cleaning passes I can cut that brass and stainless in a matter of minutes. Sure there are other methods of doing this but it does work, imho, and with great precision. Flowing the powder coating looks like and interesting add on.

Nick Hale
05-05-2018, 4:06 AM
Thanks, Ive been playing with cutting other materials. I just dont have brass to test with. I figured more people have tried it out. Ill get some ordered first chance i get!

Scott Marquez
05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Ive been playing with cutting other materials. I just dont have brass to test with. I figured more people have tried it out. Ill get some ordered first chance i get!
If you just need material to play with, check your local hardware store for brass stock. I’m in the Pacific Northwest and our Ace Hardware carries that material.
Scott

Nick Hale
05-06-2018, 3:14 AM
We have a really small hardware store. But ill check!