PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Zig Zag rules anyone?

Bill Webber
04-30-2018, 9:01 PM
I picked up a bunch of Stanley Zig Zag rules. I have Stanley 126F, 266F, and Defiance 1296F. The base numbers are in Walters's book, e.g., 126, 266, and 1296. So, what is the significance of the 'F' designation? Does it change the date range Walter's advertises? Does it change the values? Many thanks...

Roger Nair
04-30-2018, 11:36 PM
Here
is a link to a Stanley Catalogue from early 20th Century.

https://archive.org/stream/StanleyToolsCatalogueNo341914/Stanley%20Tools%20Catalogue%20No%2034%201914#page/n135/mode/2up

You might find the rules in here and an explanation of the letter codes for scale enumeration styles or perhaps F could mean a flat folding style, in this catalog the letter coding seems to be used in column headings and as part of the model number. Have fun.

The rules are in the front pages, use the slider to navigate.

Joe Bailey
05-01-2018, 2:46 AM
Suffixes describe layout of markings

Bill Webber
05-01-2018, 9:50 PM
Thanks Roger and Joe. You got me pointed to some of my old catalogs where I found enough information to draw some conclusions. I have rules numbered 126F, 266F, and 1296F. Apparently the letter F differentiates between inside and outside markings. For the 266F, my 1937 catalog says, "Numbering begins on inside face of rule so that markings will always be closer to the work." So, if you pick up the rule, without opening it, you will see numbering 71, 70, 69, etc on both out sides. Opening it will show 1, 2, 3, etc as one would expect. I don't use zig zag rules very often so I'm not sure I see the advantage, perhaps disadvantage, but that is apparently what the F means. Thanks for helping me along.

If you wonder why the pursuit of this info, here is a story of zig zag rule acquisition and the cabinets to hold them.... nearly done now. http://billwebber.galootcentral.com/rule%20display.html

Many thanks,
Bill W.

Roger Nair
05-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Very cool project.

The way I see the usefulness of the F style marking is the rule can be partially unfolded in a confined space and be laid flat otherwise with the standard scale starting at one the scale cannot be laid flat because the unfolded part of the rule will interfere, so think about working inside the box.