PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop PCS with TS-LS (Need Help With Total Width)

James Legan
04-30-2018, 8:08 PM
A bit of a preface to the question below. I have done a substantial amount of research trying to answer the question and while I know the specs of each SKU, I have yet to be able to come up with a solid figure for the various combinations of equipment when trying to figure out what will fit in the space I have. Any help would be appreciated. I called Incra today but was in between meetings and could not wait on hold and will try to call again tomorrow.

I have landed on a Sawstop PCS for my shop after planning on a Grizzly 0609 or 1023 for quite a while, the safety feature (and build quality) finally won me over. Along with the saw, I was planning on getting the TS-LS (possibly joinery, not sure I am sold on the table being to the right of the saw and Sawstop's new table can be installed on the left, adding to the overall length and working space requirements. Though I would not complain about being able to rip sheet goods, it is not a requirement, mostly furniture, large and small and can always rip sheets down to size with the track.

What I cannot find a clear answer to is the total size of the following combinations.

Sawstop PCS 36 w/TS-LS 32
Sawstop PCS 36 w/TS-LS 52
Sawstop PCS 52 w/TS-LS 32
Sawstop PCS 52 w/TS-LS 52

I know the maximum extension of the TS-LS is 102" (32) and 122" (52) when fully extended and I have width of the saws are 69 1/8" (36) and 85 1/4" (52) but what I have not been able to ascertain is where that 102" and 122" length starts from, where the mount points are on a PCS, does it vary for the 36 and 52, etc. If it is from the blade, how much room is there to the left of the blade, etc.

Essentially, what would be a huge help for me and quite possibly anyone else in this predicament is if someone could measure (or knows off of the top of their head) what the told width of the two Incra options are on the two saw options. The reason I am looking for dimensions for all 4 combinations is because I am not clear (yet) as to whether the total width of the TS-LS is impacted by the table width of the Sawstop (i.e. mounted further down), if not, and the choice is simply "do I want the OEM table or not", then I am really only looking for the total width of the two Incra options.

Sorry for rambling in my first post, I have gleaned so much knowledge from these boards and hope to contribute more and appreciate any insight that can be provided.

Earl McLain
04-30-2018, 9:57 PM
My saw is not a SS, but what I try to explain below would apply to any saw.

The TS-LS rails don't have a real "fixed location", so you can be a little flexible. L-brackets get mounted to your saw (using existing holes normally), then the rails slide onto the brackets. I have the left end of my 32" system lined up with the left end of the extension wing, set a pair of stop bolts in the rail that gives me a max 30" cut. If I slide the positioner carriage all the way to the right, i'd get 36" (but would have to move the sliding rule in the positioner to account for the 6" difference--i'd just set a new zero point, and slide a second rule in one of the tracks set to the correct distance). If i'd set the rails to give me a 32" per the instructions, they'd have been 2" past the end of the left extension table--which is a place where I walk and I didn't want bruised hips.

Under the rails is a rolling storage cabinet. Since my rails hang into space a bit, I added the leg kit, between my legs is a frame with pegboard on both sides for stuff. The space to the far right, where the positioner might go sometimes is the place for a 24 x 36 assembly table on wheels--it had to be somewhere, and it's shorter than the positioner.

Bottom line, your total measurements on the Incra FULLY EXTENDED are probably right or real close. Where that measurement starts is flexible by probably 10" either direction. If I really needed to, I could shift my rails 8" or so to the right and get a 40" cut. In reality, I rarely go beyond 24", and I have only move the carriage to go beyond 30" once in the 5 years I've used it. I agonized between 32" and 52" systems, and I know today that either would have been fine, but the 32" hasn't hurt. Had I gotten the longer rails, i'd have built different stuff to fit under them.
Good luck!!
earl

James Legan
04-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Earl,

Thank you. Based on what you are saying, with the Incra rails aligned with your far left table, your TS-LS fully extended would be around the listed length from Incra (102") +/- 10" (roughly)?

That is exactly what I have been looking for. Said differently, regardless of whether I opted for the Sawstop 36 or 52, the Incra total length would remain the same if mounted to the left table edge and then the only thing that changes is whether or not I want their table (if not putting a router table there) and whether or not I want the additional 20" sticking out the other end (32 vs 52)?

Earl McLain
05-01-2018, 5:28 AM
Right. I didn't want anything past the left extension wing, and with a left tilt saw I didn't see the need to move the fence to the left of the blade. I started with just the stock right extension wing, then later replaced that with a wider mdf/laminate top. May still, one day, turn that right side into a router table or downdraft table--but for now i'm good. Ultimately, if you're committed to the Incra TS-LS, the SawStop in either configuration has no impact on the Incra set-up--just whether or not you want to buy their wider extension. The Incra extension support rails https://www.incrementaltools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TSRTHW have some height adjustability so there is flexibility in the thickness of a side table as well.

Since the positioner in both the 32" and 52" systems is the exact same one, the only difference is the length of the rails. With a left tilt saw, one could buy the 52", mount the rails far enough to the left to hang a router off the left end and still have 32" or more of width to the right of the blade. Configure for what you need/want.
earl