PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Miter Saw Laser

Ken Krawford
04-30-2018, 8:28 AM
I have a 12" Hitachi miter saw and recently noticed that the laser quit working. A quick search shows that a replacement laser is around $80. Since this is a light I assume it either works or doesn't and there's nothing to "fix", only replace. Does anyone have an experience with a problem like this?

Dave VanDewerker
04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
I assume you have replaced the batteries, the one I have needs the batteries replaced about once a year (Bosch)

Randy Viellenave
04-30-2018, 4:44 PM
I have a C12LSH, so it has the miter and bevel readout as well as a laser. You may want to make sure the power supply is still providing 5vdc, that is what failed on mine (both the readout and the laser failed), got one from ereplacementparts.com. part # 322-911 $54.30 in 2016.

Ken Krawford
05-01-2018, 8:22 AM
The manual makes no mention of a battery. My saw only has the laser - no digital angle gauge.
Randy do you recall where the 5vdc power supply is located? I'll have to open my saw up so see if it has a DC power supply.

Randy Viellenave
05-01-2018, 2:33 PM
The power supply is under the right side motor cover toward the top. Wasn't too hard once I knew where it was, but I tore apart a bunch just looking for it. Best I recall, all you need to remove is the right side motor cover.

daryl moses
05-01-2018, 3:09 PM
I have the same saw. My laser also stopped working. My problem was a broken wire going to the laser. It was broken at the pivot point of the saw. I just stripped the insulation back on both ends, resoldered and wrapped electrical tape around it. Been working for years now.

Ken Krawford
05-02-2018, 8:03 AM
Thanks Daryl & Randy. That's exactly what I need. I'll start tearing the saw apart as soon as I finish my current project.

Ken Krawford
05-03-2018, 7:12 AM
Follow up - I was able to measure 6vdc at the plug that connects the laser to the power source and the wire appeared to be intact. I also tried wiggling the wire it a bit but no light. Looks like I'll just live without it.

Mike Heidrick
05-03-2018, 7:32 AM
Did you turn on the angle measurement too? Both need to be on in my c12lsh. I thought my laser was out too. Make sure the laser path is not blocked too.

daryl moses
05-03-2018, 7:46 AM
Follow up - I was able to measure 6vdc at the plug that connects the laser to the power source and the wire appeared to be intact. I also tried wiggling the wire it a bit but no light. Looks like I'll just live without it.
Well darn, I was hoping it was something simple as mine was.
I recently purchased a couple of lasers for my captured hollowing system, they were dirt cheap [around $5.00 each] just wondering if they could be retrofitted for your saw?
Mike, his saw like mine doesn't have the angle measurement.

Ken Krawford
05-04-2018, 7:47 AM
My saw only has the laser - no angle reading.

Did you turn on the angle measurement too? Both need to be on in my c12lsh. I thought my laser was out too. Make sure the laser path is not blocked too.

Ken Krawford
05-04-2018, 7:48 AM
Daryl where did you purchase the lasers? I'd be willing to risk $5.

Well darn, I was hoping it was something simple as mine was.
I recently purchased a couple of lasers for my captured hollowing system, they were dirt cheap [around $5.00 each] just wondering if they could be retrofitted for your saw?
Mike, his saw like mine doesn't have the angle measurement.