PDA

View Full Version : Yard cart or Wheelbarrow

Dave Lehnert
04-29-2018, 9:37 PM
My 30 year old Jackson wheelbarrow just gave out. Wood handle rotted. Replacement handle an option but.........

Was looking at this two wheel model at Ace Hardware. Priced right.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17157116&KPID=14578294&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Wheelbarrows/Yard_Carts&pla=pla_14578294&k_clickid=c3ab940f-7358-49f4-90a4-f6dea0b22be4&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2pXXBRD5ARIsAIYoEbeWLfq4ZfgZeVI7SbIP N8jYF0TxvjpxiU0MLbIN5HDVFeChBd-QKrMaAmIXEALw_wcB
Then I ran across this. Have seen them before but never used one. May be better for my needs vs a wheelbarrow, I used my wheelbarrow for mulch, picking up sticks and limbs,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Joe-SJGC7-7-Cubic-Foot-Heavy-Duty-Garden-Utility-Cart/51202595

Bill Orbine
04-29-2018, 10:07 PM
Yard cart looks like it has more room than a wheelbarrow that carries more weight. Leaves vs rocks.

Roger Nair
04-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Years ago I bought a large Garden Way cart and found it to be unwieldy and I now rely on wheelbarrows and garden wagons. The dual wheel wheelbarrows have one bad tendency, the outboard side of the wheels are unsupported thus making the axle subject to flexing and even bending due to maximum load such as topped up with wet concrete. A single wheel wheelbarrow is better in my view for very heavy loads but a dual wb will be just fine for ordinary use.

John K Jordan
04-29-2018, 10:48 PM
My 30 year old Jackson wheelbarrow just gave out. Wood handle rotted. ...I used my wheelbarrow for mulch, picking up sticks and limbs

I think the yard cart would be more useful for your mulch, stick, and limbs. I use the wheelbarrow for mixing concrete, carrying rocks, dirt, and heavy (wet) manure. (BTW, the two wheel wheelbarrow is wonderful - I keep three here. The single wheel wheelbarrow is better for heavy loads on a sideways slope.)

I'd almost drive up after your old wheelbarrow when you discard it - they don't make 'em like that any more. As long as it was not rusted out I'll bet some some cheap, er, thrifty farmer would love it. :) Might be best to make a handle and keep it and get the cart too. I cut and dry hickory to make handles for shovels and things.

I found that once the film finish degrades wood handles last a lot longer if I occasionally brush on some boiled linseed oil.

JKJ

Dave Lehnert
04-29-2018, 11:18 PM
I think the yard cart would be more useful for your mulch, stick, and limbs. I use the wheelbarrow for mixing concrete, carrying rocks, dirt, and heavy (wet) manure. (BTW, the two wheel wheelbarrow is wonderful - I keep three here. The single wheel wheelbarrow is better for heavy loads on a sideways slope.)

I'd almost drive up after your old wheelbarrow when you discard it - they don't make 'em like that any more. As long as it was not rusted out I'll bet some some cheap, er, thrifty farmer would love it. :) Might be best to make a handle and keep it and get the cart too. I cut and dry hickory to make handles for shovels and things.

I found that once the film finish degrades wood handles last a lot longer if I occasionally brush on some boiled linseed oil.

JKJ

I may replace the handles and get a yard cart too.
I lost the front metal bracket that hold the handles together. Has to be under a pile of old mulch I dumped yesterday.
The old Jackson wheelbarrow lasted outdoors 365 days a year for 30 years. tray is rusted but solid.

roger wiegand
04-30-2018, 7:35 AM
LOML bought one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Trailer-8376-Utility-32-Inch/dp/B001RPD4UU/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1525087461&sr=8-46&keywords=yard+cart). I was profoundly skeptical, but we've used it for four years now and it has turned out to be very robust. The big bicycle wheels make it much easier to roll around our meadow and such than a wheelbarrow. I'm not sure I'd fill it up with concrete, but I've piled lots of logs into it and pretty well filled it with dirt and it has been fine. It holds a lot more material than my wheelbarrows making it more useful for general yard work.

Bradley Gray
04-30-2018, 7:45 AM
or you could build one...

John K Jordan
04-30-2018, 8:15 AM
or you could build one...

That looks too nice to leave out in the weather!

Tom M King
04-30-2018, 9:24 AM
Replacement parts for Jackson wheelbarrows are available.

Jim Becker
04-30-2018, 9:39 AM
My former neighbor had a yard cart similar to the one pictured and they really liked it a lot. It seemed more stable than a wheel barrow for general gardening work, too. Given your stated use, the yard cart would be my choice over the wheel barrow for now; but there may be tasks that come where a wheel barrow is a better choice, so you may need one of those at some point, too.

Bernie Kopfer
04-30-2018, 11:23 AM
I have had both and they each have their place. Most everything the cart can do the wheelbarrow can do also. But when it comes to heavy lifting and concrete a cart is 2nd best. And if your land is significantly unlevel a wheelbarrow maneuvers easier up and down and around stuff. Heck, get both.😇

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-30-2018, 12:42 PM
You don't mention your terrain. That makes all the difference on how easy your chores will be. If you have rocky or hilly terrain, you now have 2 wheels to navigate over the bumps and dips.

We have been using a poly/plastic wheelbarrow for the past 8 years and absolutely LOVE one feature it has. It has "Total Control" handles. Instead of straight wood/metal handles, there are loops on the ends. These loops make it so easy to dump, as well as change holding positions when you are navigating the wheelbarrow around obstacles. We were skeptical of the poly/plastic tub, but we treat it as plastic - meaning, we don't toss metal tools into the tub, or toss big hunks of wood in the tub. We set heavy items into the tub so we don't crack the plastic. So far, it has held up 8 seasons out in the weather and no signs of cracking. While they do make steel tubs with Total Control handles, the poly/plastic tubs are so much lighter - which makes it easier to work outside longer.

Dave Anderson NH
04-30-2018, 1:02 PM
Repair and update the one you have Ray. Folks are right, they don't make them like they used to. Most now are polyethylene or polypropylene tubs which flex and are subject to cracking in really cold weather. As for handles, my 29 year old deep tub steel wheelbarrow is still going strong. John's right, applications of BLO will keep the handles supple and prevent rot. In fact, for all of my outdoor tool handles, the first thing I did when buying a new one was sand off the factory lacquer/varnish and treat with 2-4 coats of BLO. It feels better in the hand when used and is less likely to raise blisters. Granddad taught Dad and Dad taught me.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-30-2018, 1:24 PM
for light loads on smooth level terrain, a single wheel barrow is great. For heavy loads, they are a pain to keep them from tipping over and spilling. Same for moderate loads on hills, up down or side ways. We had two garden carts with the 2 big bicycle tire wheels. Worked very well on bumpy terrain and for heavy loads. But they were not built heavy enough to hitch behind a lawn tractor. We got a plastic tub two wheel cart at Sam's club two years ago. the wheels are wide and sturdy. The rear can be converted from a wheel barrow to a tow behind and it has a dump bed. for the price it is great. ($129.00) We can tow it behind the 4 wheeler or the lawn tractor and use it as a wheel barrow. It handles bumpy terrain just fine. For heavier work, I have a small 40 x 48 trailer that came from Harbor freight 25 years ago. It has 4.8 x 8 tires capable of some light road hauling and I can hook it up behind the pick up, the 4 wheeler or the lawn tractor. It is light enough to haul behind a sub compact car. We have had a series of those lawn carts sold at the box stores with the light sheet metal dump boxes. They don't hold much light material, and can';t handle much heavy material. Went through three of them in about 9 years. We also have a light weight 4 x 6 trailer with an aluminum frame and pressure treated board deck and sides. It is also capable of towing on the road, but I put wide golf cart tires on it so it does not leave ruts in the lawn when the ground is soft.

My Mrs. claims I collect trailers. And between the "lawn carts" and the big heavy trailers, we do have 9. A stock trailer, a flat bed for hauling hay and equipment and the smaller ones for utility work around the house and barn. We haul tractors, animals, gravel, hay, fire wood, branches clippings, sand soil, manure etc. I'd recommend getting one just a size larger than you think you will need. Also try the thing before you buy it. Some wheel barrows are made for very small people. I am barely 6 ft on a good day with longer than average arms and some have handles that are just too low to the ground, or have support bars that interfere with taking a normal stride when pushing it. Nothing worse than being forced to take baby steps when pushing a load.

John K Jordan
04-30-2018, 4:51 PM
My Mrs. claims I collect trailers. ... we do have 9....

I personally don't think a reasonable person can have too many trailers. Unless, perhaps, they live in an apartment. Nine here too - just got a second gooseneck so one has a lower bed and one is flat above the tires for loading hay with a grapple. I don't think My Lovely Bride even knows how many trailers we have since she seldom cruises the property. What I really need now is a nice little trackhoe and a cute little trailer just for it...

JKJ

lowell holmes
04-30-2018, 5:45 PM
I have a wheelbarrow, I think I will go buy a lawn cart for SWMBO.
SWMBO is she who must be obeyed for anyone not knowing.

Tom M King
04-30-2018, 8:03 PM
I thought I had a lot of trailers, but then I saw that a couple of you have 9. At first, I was thinking that's a lot, having a horse trailer, and two goosenecks also-same reasons as John, but then I remembered the boat trailers............ The low bed 7x20 gooseneck is the most used trailer.

The next gooseneck I plan to get is a tilt bed to move containers with. I just can't decide if I want to do multiple 20's, or for 40's. It's hard to get 40's into some places. I've outgrown box trailers that I want to drag around.

We have a 10cu. ft., double wheeled plastic wheelbarrow that gets used at the barn, and it's lasted many more years than I thought it would have. Some years after we bought it, I did end up replacing the rusted out box bolts with stainless ones.

My Wife has a funny shaped little green garden cart that is a very good design, but I forget the brand name.

Jacksons get used for concrete, and mortar. I'd never ditch one for want of a handle.

I never got on with solid tired ones, after owning a couple. The best thing I'd recommend doing, if you like pneumatic tires like I do, is to put a tube in the tire when you first get it, while everything is nice and clean. You'll be glad it's in there in a few years. Tractor Supply has them in stock. That double wheeled one is well over ten years old, with the original tires still on it, and I only need to top off the tires every couple of years at the most, since it has tubes in it. All our pneumatic wheelbarrow, and little used trailer tires, have tubes in them. Not only does it keep them from losing air anything like as fast, but if a trailer tire goes flat because it hasn't been used in years, with a tube in it, it will pump right back up.

dennis thompson
05-02-2018, 7:01 AM
I have both and use the yard cart almost exclusively, I can't remember the last time I used the wheelbarrow.

Mike Cutler
05-02-2018, 8:32 AM
Fix your current Jackson. The handles and tip bar are easy to source. I keep my Jackson covered these days unless it's in use. Mine is probably close to your in age. I'm pretty sure I bought it in the late 80's.
Those two wheeled wheelbarrows are " awful" with a heavy load, unless you're on very smooth terrain. On uneven surface they are always out of balance, and you're constantly adjusting to the shift in balance/weight. It is much, much easier to balance a single wheeled wheelbarrow with a heavy load.
I have one two wheeled at home only because it's twice the size of my Jackson, and the barn that we board our horse at only has two wheeled wheelbarrows, so I have a lot of experience with them. I do not like them.

No experience with a garden cart.

Thomas L Carpenter
05-02-2018, 9:46 AM
Both. replaced he handles on my 5 year old wheelbarrow last year and rebuilt my 30 year old Garden Way cart two years ago. It's amazing the stuff you can move with the cart and it doesn't tip over while on an uneven surface.

James Runchey
05-03-2018, 9:11 AM
Another vote for the garden way cart. We had one for most of the forty years we had the farm, worked like a charm.

Frank McGuire
02-07-2021, 9:20 AM
for light loads on smooth level terrain, a single wheel barrow is great. For heavy loads, they are a pain to keep them from tipping over and spilling. Same for moderate loads on hills, up down or side ways. We had two garden carts with the 2 big bicycle tire wheels. Worked very well on bumpy terrain and for heavy loads. But they were not built heavy enough to hitch behind a lawn tractor. We got a plastic tub two wheel cart at Sam's club two years ago. the wheels are wide and sturdy. The rear can be converted from a wheel barrow to a tow behind and it has a dump bed. for the price it is great. ($129.00) We can tow it behind the 4 wheeler or the lawn tractor and use it as a wheel barrow. It handles bumpy terrain just fine. For heavier work, I have a small 40 x 48 trailer that came from Harbor freight 25 years ago. It has 4.8 x 8 tires capable of some light road hauling and I can hook it up behind the pick up, the 4 wheeler or the lawn tractor. It is light enough to haul behind a sub compact car. We have had a series of those lawn carts sold at the box stores with the light sheet metal dump boxes. They don't hold much light material, and can';t handle much heavy material. Went through three of them in about 9 years. We also have a light weight 4 x 6 trailer with an aluminum frame and pressure treated board deck and sides. It is also capable of towing on the road, but I put wide golf cart tires on it so it does not leave ruts in the lawn when the ground is soft.

My Mrs. claims I collect trailers. And between the "lawn carts (https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-garden-cart/)" and the big heavy trailers, we do have 9. A stock trailer, a flat bed for hauling hay and equipment and the smaller ones for utility work around the house and barn. We haul tractors, animals, gravel, hay, fire wood, branches clippings, sand soil, manure etc. I'd recommend getting one just a size larger than you think you will need. Also try the thing before you buy it. Some wheel barrows are made for very small people. I am barely 6 ft on a good day with longer than average arms and some have handles that are just too low to the ground, or have support bars that interfere with taking a normal stride when pushing it. Nothing worse than being forced to take baby steps when pushing a load.
Thank you so much! It's a pleasure to get advice from the Professional!

Jim Koepke
02-07-2021, 11:06 AM
My dad gave me this wheelbarrow about 35 years ago. He replaced the broken/rotted wood handles with some aluminum tubes. The handles were turned a few years ago on my lathe. The end tenons were shaped with hand tools to fit into the aluminum. It is still going strong.

My wife prefers the two wheel model. She is smaller than me.

The dual wheel wheelbarrows have one bad tendency, the outboard side of the wheels are unsupported thus making the axle subject to flexing and even bending due to maximum load such as topped up with wet concrete.

That sounds like a problem of overloading more than design.

After all this just realized this thread is an oldie.

So Dave, how about telling us how this story ended?

jtk

John K Jordan
02-07-2021, 2:12 PM
Only two-wheelers for me. SO much easier to manage, even overloaded. Never had a wheel, axle, or bushing detectably wear. I keep four, in use from 5-15 years.

I know of two reasons to use a single-wheel barrow - one, if going sideways or a slope, or two, if traversing a trail or ramp narrower than the two wheels. Or if you want to dump one sideways, I guess.

I prefer steel wheel barrows since I can always weld a patch if needed. It's harder to fix a plastic barrow, but they are easier to find these days.

JKJ

Bruce Wrenn
02-07-2021, 3:02 PM
Own Garden Way Cart, two wheel plastic wheel barrow, and TWO Jackson's. Garden Way is nice, but it's too wide to go thru a door opening. Same goes for two wheel barrow. My Jacksons are over forty years old. Replaced the handles a couple times, along with the tires. Wish I had a buck for every barrow full of stone, sand or concrete the Jacksons have hauled. With that amount of money, I could just hire someone to push around a wheel barrow when needed.

Jim Matthews
02-07-2021, 6:16 PM
I would only suggest that plastic tubs be avoided.

Exuberant usage while moving rocks put a hole in mine below the waterline. A replacement tub cost more than the entire wheelbarrow.

Alex Zeller
02-07-2021, 6:24 PM
When the wife's aunt passed we ended up with her house. She had a folding cart with composite bicycle wheels. I've used it a couple times and I do like it. Having a tractor and a side by side (getting a side by side with a dump bed would be what I say is best to replace your old Jackson) I only use my wheelbarrow for moving firewood into the basement. It's a single wheel one and can be very tipsy. I also don't like how the front edge tapers to form sort of a funnel for firewood. But more than anything it flexes. The metal braces don't hold it rigidly enough. When it's resting on it's legs it leans. But I don't want to repair it because I don't want to add a lot of weight to it. I think buying anything but a top quality one is only good for light duty choirs. I keep the cart at the other house but one of these days I'll bring it home to try.

I have an old very small boat trailer given to me that I might steal the axle from and make into something like that Ace wheelbarrow. I figure the axle will not bend and maybe the weight will not be bad because it's all on the wheels.

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-08-2021, 2:29 AM
If only the garden way type carts had brake
s for the hilly terrain I have.