PDA

View Full Version : screwdriver shanks

Rich Noterman
04-29-2018, 6:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice set of screwdriver shanks that I can make a custom handle for gifts. Lee Valley used to carry them, but their website says they are no longer available. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help

Rich

Marvin Hasenak
04-29-2018, 6:51 PM
I buy 1/4" hex shank screwdriver extension bit holders off the auction site. I make the handle and epoxy the hex end into a 1/4 drilled hole. Along with a double ended Phillips and flat screwdriver bit makes a set.

John K Jordan
04-29-2018, 7:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice set of screwdriver shanks that I can make a custom handle for gifts. Lee Valley used to carry them, but their website says they are no longer available. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help

Rich

I bought a couple of these and helped kids make presents for parents.
https://www.chefwarekits.com/woodturning-tools/hand-tool-kits/screw-driver-kit-brass-heavy-duty-woodturning-kit.html

384990 384991

JKJ

Paul Williams
04-29-2018, 9:07 PM
I buy cheap plastic handled 4 in one or 6 in one, depending on how you count, from Menards when they are on sale for $2 and sometimes $1. I turn off the plastic to salvage the hex holder. Turn a wood handle, glue in the holder, and reuse all of the screw driver parts.

I have also bought small sets of hex holders with a handful of small bits. Turn a handle similar to Marvin's. Hollow it. Insert a trim screw in the center with length that just comes to the opening. Turn a cover with a magnet that catches the screw. Store the bits in the hollowed out handle and you have a nice gift. Hope that is clear enough.

John King
04-29-2018, 9:50 PM
I purchase 6-in-1 screwdrivers at Home Depot. See at https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-1-4-in-6-in-1-Screwdriver-120SD12D/100137978. Remove plastic handle. Salvage all metal parts. Turn wood handle. Mount salvaged metal parts in wood handle. You are done. - John

Marvin Hasenak
04-29-2018, 11:29 PM
This was also a favorite for a lot of people. I gave these to people as thank you gifts at Christmas. A few years ago my mechanic went crazy over his, he had 4 mechanics working for him, I gave each of them a set. Today I still get preferential treatment when I show up.

Bruce Schoenleber
04-30-2018, 6:14 AM
Also Harbor Freight for the 6-in-1 drivers. Dirt cheap at their tent sales and promo's. I just turn off the plastic handles.